IR Reflection

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A new reflective street sign was installed about 12 meters in front of my camera. It's causing a lot of bright IR reflection in the image at night. Not ideal.

Any suggestions on what settings will rectify this with out effecting image quality?

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A new reflective street sign was installed about 12 meters in front of my camera. It's causing a lot of bright IR reflection in the image at night. Not ideal.

Any suggestions on what settings will rectify this with out effecting image quality?
Tell me about it
I have in my wisdom had my van sign written which incorporates some reflective vinyl!
Doh. Rookie mistake.
The only think I can suggest other than turning the IR of or lower is to get a separate IR illuminator and offset it from the camera so it's not reflecting back to the camera lens.

I'm lucky in the fact I don't need to use the IR and can use either B&W or colour due to having high enough levels of street lighting

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^ regarding a separate IR illuminator (or 2), installed as far away from the camera as possible but aimed toward the vicinity of the new sign, The increased incoming angle of the IR to the sign should depart the sign at the same angle and be more likely to not head toward your cam.

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I will see what I can do regarding additional IR lamps. In the meantime, will playing around with the smart IR setting help?

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok I will see what I can do regarding additional IR lamps. In the meantime, will playing around with the smart IR setting help?
Yes it should do a little bit.

Or I'm sure you can actually put it into manual mode and adjust the ir that way.

I know I definately can on my ptz but can't remember off hand about the turrets

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have played with the IR settings, does only a little bit to help, still have this massive "spot light" reflecting back into the camera. So instead of adding additional IR illuminators, and as it is a starlight camera, I have turned the IR off so it is running in starlight mode / full colour at night. Image is clear and ok, just a little blur on moving cars and people as not enough light. Street lighting is ok, but also don't want to be dependent on street lights alone, and actually do need a lot more light to get optimum images.

Any suggestions on white light? (Camera field of view is looking down along the outside of the parameter wall and the street).
  • One spot under the camera facing field of view (also cant be blinding any on coming vehicles though)?
  • Or running white lights along the street facing front boundary wall and facing the ground and perpendicular to the street?
  • Or other suggestions?

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have played with the IR settings, does only a little bit to help, still have this massive "spot light" reflecting back into the camera. So instead of adding additional IR illuminators, and as it is a starlight camera, I have turned the IR off so it is running in starlight mode / full colour at night. Image is clear and ok, just a little blur on moving cars and people as not enough light. Street lighting is ok, but also don't want to be dependent on street lights alone, and actually do need a lot more light to get optimum images.

Any suggestions on white light? (Camera field of view is looking down along the outside of the parameter wall and the street).
  • One spot under the camera facing field of view (also cant be blinding any on coming vehicles though)?
  • Or running white lights along the street facing front boundary wall and facing the ground and perpendicular to the street?
  • Or other suggestions?
Coach lights are good for this sort of thing.

Take a look at the thread for the new starlight cams that have leds instead of ir.

This will give you an indication on how white light would work.

I'm considering it myself to add more light to a couple of dimly lit areas.

Your quite lucky, 1 of my 2mp starlights is on the front of my house, where it's a decent amount of street light but gives a little blur to moving targets. I'd like this in B&W at night but because of the amount of ambient light, I can't actually force the camera to go into B&W mode unless I physically switch it to B&W.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Coach lights are good for this sort of thing.

Take a look at the thread for the new starlight cams that have leds instead of ir.

This will give you an indication on how white light would work.

I'm considering it myself to add more light to a couple of dimly lit areas.

Your quite lucky, 1 of my 2mp starlights is on the front of my house, where it's a decent amount of street light but gives a little blur to moving targets. I'd like this in B&W at night but because of the amount of ambient light, I can't actually force the camera to go into B&W mode unless I physically switch it to B&W.
You can set it to black and white on a schedule or if you have a PC that is always on you can run the dahua sunrise sunset utility by BP2008 to switch mode based on sunrise sunset.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can set it to black and white on a schedule or if you have a PC that is always on you can run the dahua sunrise sunset utility by BP2008 to switch mode based on sunrise sunset.
That's half the problem, I run it through an NVR.
I could use schedule but in the UK we have mega daylight time swings so I'd be forever adjusting it.

I'm hoping that the new firmware with the day and night profile will sort it out at least that way hopefully I can force it into B&W.

I'm going to update my older turret tonight to see.

I'm hoping that it is actually dark enough for it to switch to night mode and hoping the older firmware which you run in "normal" mode doesn't think it's dry enough to switch.

The PTZ will run in colour mode 24/7 as that generally provides overview function, but I do have it tracking at certain times.

All fun and games!