Is 2MP Hik better than 3MP at night? Really?

dodamn

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two choices.

DS-2CD2025FWD-I (2MP, Ultra low light, Network, Bullet)
DS-2CD2035FWD-I (3MP, Ultra low light, Network, Bullet)

I want better quality at night.
Which one is better at night?

I have read the following article.
Which camera you recommends to good low light outside ?

It is written than 2MP is better than 3MP at night. But exact model names are not written.
Does DS-2CD2025FWD-I have better night vision quality than DS-2CD2035FWD-I ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two choices.

DS-2CD2025FWD-I (2MP, Ultra low light, Network, Bullet)
DS-2CD2035FWD-I (3MP, Ultra low light, Network, Bullet)

I want better quality at night.
Which one is better at night?

I have read the following article.
Which camera you recommends to good low light outside ?

It is written than 2MP is better than 3MP at night. But exact model names are not written.
Does DS-2CD2025FWD-I have better night vision quality than DS-2CD2035FWD-I ?
Yes it will be slightly better in low light...
avoid bullet cams...look at turret design...

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at the new 4K Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I Turret. (Hikvision 8MP IP Camera DS 2CD2385FWD I Network Turret Camera H.265 Updatable CCTV Security Camera With SD Card Slot -in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group)

From my personal experience, the 2385 has a better night and day image than any of my 2, 3 and 4MP Hik cameras. Newer sensor technology also plays a big part in the image you will get.
That is not the case...it will be significantly worse than the specialized low light cameras...I have posted video that proves this in the other post where you made similar misleading statements...please dont publish false information that will cause folks to buy cameras that dont suit their needs. .

dodamn

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it will be slightly better in low light...
avoid bullet cams...look at turret design...
Thank you, fenderman.

"avoid bullet cams...look at turret design..."

Is it because of spider webs? or other reason?

dodamn

n3wb
Reaction score
Have a look at the new 4K Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I Turret. (Hikvision 8MP IP Camera DS 2CD2385FWD I Network Turret Camera H.265 Updatable CCTV Security Camera With SD Card Slot -in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group)

From my personal experience, the 2385 has a better night and day image than any of my 2, 3 and 4MP Hik cameras. Newer sensor technology also plays a big part in the image you will get.
Thank you, nzipcamera.
But DS-2CD2385FWD-I is more expensive than DS-2CD2025FWD-I.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, fenderman.

"avoid bullet cams...look at turret design..."

Is it because of spider webs? or other reason?
mostly spiders/ir reflection...they are also more vandal resistant..

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is not the case...it will be significantly worse than the specialized low light cameras...I have posted video that proves this in the other post where you made similar misleading statements...please dont publish false information that will cause folks to buy cameras that dont suit their needs. .
Fenderman I have not made any misleading or false statments in any way. I think you could say that we have a difference of opinion.

The video that you posted is not (nothing like) the performance I see from my 2385. Hikvision and other owners of the 2385 would be able to confirm this. The night time results you see in your video could only be achieved by setting the brightness to very low or a too higher a shutter speed. An easy way for a compeditor to discredited a camera if that's your intent.

I do not have a specialized 2MP Darkfighter to test against my 2385 nor did I state I had. I has comparing the 2385 to 2025 & 2035. The Hik Darkfighter range is in a completely different (much higher) price bracket. So please stop misleading other forum members to what I stated. You have misinterpreted what i have said here and else where and now tried to discredit me. Disappointing and nice one.:(

My understanding was the cameras that dodamm was asking for a comparison of are the DS-2CD2025FWD-I & DS-2CD2035FWD-I. Both are in the same model range / price bracket as DS-2CD2385FWD-I. For dadmm to look at a 2385 would be a fair and logical comparison.

Not pointing out that there was a new model that could be worth looking at would not be in the sprit of the forum.

If it was me making the selection out of these three cameras, I would pick the 2385 as its a well sorted camera offering value for money and latest tech. Also a 4K camera at $ 147.00 USD is a great deal.

The fact of the matter is I get a better picture day and night out of my 2385 than I do from my other older Hik cameras. I have put the 2385 next to the other Hik cameras to test this. I'm more than happy with my 2385 and I will be buying more.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman I have not made any misleading or false statments in any way. I think you could say that we have a difference of opinion.

The video that you posted is not (nothing like) the performance I see from my 2385. Hikvision and other owners of the 2385 would be able to confirm this. The night time results you see in your video could only be achieved by setting the brightness to very low or a too higher a shutter speed. An easy way for a compeditor to discredited a camera if that's your intent.

I do not have a specialized 2MP Darkfighter to test against my 2385 nor did I state I had. I has comparing the 2385 to 2025 & 2035. The Hik Darkfighter range is in a completely different (much higher) price bracket. So please stop misleading other forum members to what I stated. You have misinterpreted what i have said here and else where and now tried to discredit me. Disappointing and nice one.:(

My understanding was the cameras that dodamm was asking for a comparison of are the DS-2CD2025FWD-I & DS-2CD2035FWD-I. Both are in the same model range / price bracket as DS-2CD2385FWD-I. For dadmm to look at a 2385 would be a fair and logical comparison.

Not pointing out that there was a new model that could be worth looking at would not be in the sprit of the forum.

If it was me making the selection out of these three cameras, I would pick the 2385 as its a well sorted camera offering value for money and latest tech. Also a 4K camera at $ 147.00 USD is a great deal.

The fact of the matter is I get a better picture day and night out of my 2385 than I do from my other older Hik cameras. I have put the 2385 next to the other Hik cameras to test this. I'm more than happy with my 2385 and I will be buying more.
You stated that "From my personal experience, the 2385 has a better night and day image than any of my 2, 3 and 4MP Hik cameras" this is a LIE...it has terrible low light performance compared to hikvision 2mp and 3mp low light models priced below 150...You do understand that there is a new hikvision low light line of cameras right?
Its not a difference of opinion when there is concrete video evidence. Furthermore the videos you posted were manipulated and were not taken in complete darkness and further used in highly reflective areas.
You dont need an overpriced darkfighter...there are cheaper hikvision and dahua low light cameras for 100-170. The 4k camera offers subpar low light performance which is critical for many users...
4k camera at 50 dollars would be a terrible deal if it does not capture important footage...you keep making the amateur mistake of chasing megapixels.
I dont tolerate bullshit lies. If you are going to make stuff up you will get called out on it.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You stated that "From my personal experience, the 2385 has a better night and day image than any of my 2, 3 and 4MP Hik cameras" .
My text is a fractural statement. You clearly omitted to read the word "my" from the text. Changing the the whole interpretation.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
MY two cents worth on this I keep looking out of my de4a220 AT night
day time there all ok
And that little ptz with no ir and street light @3mp is pretty ok for what it is
That 8mp zoom I can tell in the day how many bugs are on the post vans windscreen
Use a variety of cameras with different capabilities to cover day and night

Attachments

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
And one day when I get time I will pull those cameras out of there boxes and shove them in the shed at night and with factory settings test each one and post the pics AND I am not a hikvision fan after there latest upgrade to there business model that us end users will be shut out of buying there products whom we test and fiddle with as it's a hobby and give some feed back
I would recommend reading all posts in the camera section I saw this morning one of the best ptz footage of a fire hydrant leaking look up the specs of that camera look at the brand then look up its competitors version look for footage of that brand just do some research and what fits your budget and mostly what has more support in the future it's all here in this forum

Attachments

TJ01

n3wb
Reaction score
You stated that "From my personal experience, the 2385 has a better night and day image than any of my 2, 3 and 4MP Hik cameras" this is a LIE...it has terrible low light performance compared to hikvision 2mp and 3mp low light models priced below 150...You do understand that there is a new hikvision low light line of cameras right?
Its not a difference of opinion when there is concrete video evidence. Furthermore the videos you posted were manipulated and were not taken in complete darkness and further used in highly reflective areas.
You dont need an overpriced darkfighter...there are cheaper hikvision and dahua low light cameras for 100-170. The 4k camera offers subpar low light performance which is critical for many users...
4k camera at 50 dollars would be a terrible deal if it does not capture important footage...you keep making the amateur mistake of chasing megapixels.
I dont tolerate bullshit lies. If you are going to make stuff up you will get called out on it.

Hi I’ve just ordered the hikvision 3mp 2035 and replacing my 4mp 2042 for better video at night. I’ve read a few of your comments and was hoping you could point me in the right direction to see some posts about this. I’ve tried searching for this camera and not too many posts related to it.

Thanks

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking to do another install for a guy and again I noticed several folk claiming they would opt for the 2385 over the 2335 especially if money wasn't a factor. Several have stated the 2385 produces a nearly on par picture in low light because of the higher MP.

Found this

It's difficult to decide whether to purchase the 2385 over the 2335 and take a supposing slight drop in low light performance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking to do another install for a guy and again I noticed several folk claiming they would opt for the 2385 over the 2335 especially if money wasn't a factor. Several have stated the 2385 produces a nearly on par picture in low light because of the higher MP.

Found this

It's difficult to decide whether to purchase the 2385 over the 2335 and take a supposing slight drop in low light performance.
Its not a "supposing" and its no slight...the difference is significant. The demo footage is misleading and fraudulent as I have explained in other threads.

toysareforboys

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its not a "supposing" and its no slight...the difference is significant. The demo footage is misleading and fraudulent as I have explained in other threads.
I didn't see your other threads. Do you consider it fraudulent because he's running it at 6fps? Even at 6fps his shutter looks set abnormally slow on the night time shots, perhaps 1/3 or slower! Or do you think he's got a bunch of cameras mounted in a similar location so he's getting the combined I.R. flood from all of them?

Just curious, thanks!

-Jamie M.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't see your other threads. Do you consider it fraudulent because he's running it at 6fps? Even at 6fps his shutter looks set abnormally slow on the night time shots, perhaps 1/3 or slower! Or do you think he's got a bunch of cameras mounted in a similar location so he's getting the combined I.R. flood from all of them?

Just curious, thanks!

-Jamie M.
its because he is using a highly elective surface with reflects IR..he could also be messing with the shutter speed...interesting that he doesnt have a moving object in the night scene...
here is a better view of what you can expect from that image..