Is a dome good for indoor use?

kolt_

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Considering getting the SD22204UE-GN, a dome PTZ camera, to place inside a pole barn as it's a good fit. I understand domes are not great for long term use due to the dome itself causing glare and what not but I was wondering if this applies to indoor use as well? Just collecting thoughts before I make a purchase. Thank you

ultimz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @kolt_,

I just purchased a dome camera for indoor use to replace a bullet camera in my kitchen. I can't speak about the long term use (yet) but it just looks better and it's less noticeable... this is personal preference. I haven't noticed a difference with glare etc. the only issue I had was after installation the dome was dirty so that impacted night vision. I just had to take it off and clean it and it's been fine ever since. I also think that since it's indoors and away from the elements then it should be about the same as a bullet.

kolt_

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @kolt_,

I just purchased a dome camera for indoor use to replace a bullet camera in my kitchen. I can't speak about the long term use (yet) but it just looks better and it's less noticeable... this is personal preference. I haven't noticed a difference with glare etc. the only issue I had was after installation the dome was dirty so that impacted night vision. I just had to take it off and clean it and it's been fine ever since. I also think that since it's indoors and away from the elements then it should be about the same as a bullet.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I thought since it's away from the elements then it should be fine. Sometimes the garage door is open for long parts of the day but it shouldnt get direct sunlight

kolt_

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just realized there's no IR with this model but my question still stands with dome cameras in general.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
They're fine indoors for the most part. Still can have glare in odd cases but overall OK.

Might look at this one if you want a small indoor PTZ. Very similar specs but not a dome and has good IR:

Also this one, 4X dome PTZ with IR:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.