is BI & hikvision cameras more secure than using hik cameras & hik nvr?

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi:)

looking to invest in x4 3/4mp hikvision cameras to help secure my home.

i've read conflicting reports on the security of using hikvision cameras with the hikvision nvr.

Does using the BI software increase security? does it require any port opening/blocking or is it fairly safe out of the box?

my plan is to use a poe switch and BI running in a windows 10 vm on my unraid server, with x4-x6 hikvision cameras.

apologies if the post is vague or has been asked before, i did search.

many thanks

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Get different cameras, put it on its own vlan if you're worried and or use VPN to access remotely.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
do you mean don't buy hikvision cameras then? or buy a few different brands?

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You will be better off with blue Iris then a nvr of any type ,blue Iris as many advantages over a nvr.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On this same note, I've read on the Dahua forum that some Dahua cams are phoning home to China. Anyone know if Hiks do the same?

I suppose I should enable logging on my firewall for one of the cameras and check myself.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
You could just block each camera, or that entire subnet from going out and only allow the NVR or bi box

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could just block each camera, or that entire subnet from going out and only allow the NVR or bi box

We're using pfSense, so I ended up blocking all traffic to WAN on the camera VLAN, while selectively allowing NTP traffic to go through so the cams can periodically set their own time. Works great!