Is BI mobile as simple to setup as Dahua?

Reaction score
Trying to talk myself into trying Blue Iris. One of the reasons I started using Dahua NVR is because the remote viewing is so simple to setup. No port forwarding or any of those headaches. Just plug in the serial number and login credentials and it just works. Is the Blue Iris mobile app similar or is it like what I did before where I had to have ports forwarded and DDNS setup?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to have the BI program running on a Windows computer - the BI mobile app will not work unless you are running BI on a computer.

Your NVR setup is so easy because it is using P2P, so your system is exposed to the internet. You can set BI up that way, but most of us here use a VPN to bring us back onto our home internet so that are cameras are not exposed to the internet.

Reaction score
VPN would be a nightmare for my situation although I do agree it is the most secure way. I manage a chain of gas stations and put the NVR on its own network to lower the risk of main network being compromised by NVR. My store managers burn through phones so frequently I would go crazy having to set them up with a vpn each time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI offers what they call a STUNNEL which is a mix between VPN and port forwarding. Still has exposure, but not as great as what you have going on right now!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI has a free trial, so download and give it a shot. You can pull the video feeds right from your NVR into it.

In BI, you select add camera and put the IP address of the NVR into the IP address location. Put in username and password and hit find/inspect and let BI do its thing.

Then about halfway down is a pull down for Camera number and pick camera 1 and then hit ok. The camera should show up. Then add camera and the select copy and copy this camera and then change the number 1 to a 2 and repeat for your cameras.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My store managers burn through phones so frequently I would go crazy having to set them up with a vpn each time.
Why? It takes me less than 2 minutes to setup a new VPN user with my pivpn.

One command

sudo pivpn add

That's it.

It prompts for password setup and create a opvn file that you import from the devices you want to add vpn to.

You don't even need the blueiris mobile app, just user the web broswer and go to BI's UI3 webpage.