Is driver identification akin to LPR?

GaryCAa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am always willing to share overview and LPR video with law enforcement when they ask. They are usually pleased with the results. Their final question is typically " Do you have any shots that show who was driving?". I do not have any cameras specifically set up for that function. So the result is a blury shot from an overview camera. I would like to do better.

Would I simply set up another LPR camera aimed at the drivers seat? Since there are no lights in the passanger compartment, I would need IR for after dark use. Does window tinting preclude getting the shot through a side window? Would the IR glare off the windows make it useless? Does most auto glass have a treatment that stops IR?

I can mount a camera within twenty feet of the driver, at nearly any elevation. I have Dahua 5231 and 5241 cameras operation with BI5. I picked up a couple of Tenderlux 10 and 20 watt illuminators on their recent sale.

What recomendation(s) would you have to get better driver ID pictures?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those are the tough shots. There are filters that supposedly make it easier to get those shots, but I still think it can be problematic.

@Flintstone61 has about a perfect angle and speed to get that, but most of us can't.

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am always willing to share overview and LPR video with law enforcement when they ask. They are usually pleased with the results. Their final question is typically " Do you have any shots that show who was driving?". I do not have any cameras specifically set up for that function. So the result is a blury shot from an overview camera. I would like to do better.

Would I simply set up another LPR camera aimed at the drivers seat? Since there are no lights in the passanger compartment, I would need IR for after dark use. Does window tinting preclude getting the shot through a side window? Would the IR glare off the windows make it useless? Does most auto glass have a treatment that stops IR?

I can mount a camera within twenty feet of the driver, at nearly any elevation. I have Dahua 5231 and 5241 cameras operation with BI5. I picked up a couple of Tenderlux 10 and 20 watt illuminators on their recent sale.

What recomendation(s) would you have to get better driver ID pictures?
For day, a shaded area, camera as high as possible still able to see driver

Night, mount illuminator as close as possible at driver face height.

Day time more sophisticated camera would be the Sony on sensor polariser sensor imx250