Is flashing the Amcrest version possible? SD49212T-HN

iceman805

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got the Amcrest version (IP2M-853E) of the SD48212T-HN and wanted to know if anyone has successfully flashed it with Dahua firmware?

I'd like to completely disentangle myself with Amcrest since the two cameras I bought are apparently Dahua (the other one is IP4M-1028W but not sure of the Dahua model number). I figure why deal with a company of their utterly GALACTIC lack. (There are a couple of features in their software I haven't seen in SmartPSS though like viewable timeline of events with zoom in and nether allows you to scrub the playback or run reverse. ???)

FWIW, the cameras being Dahua was the only good thing to come of my experience with Amcrest.

I have just purchased the HDW-5321R-ZE from Andy on Amazon to replace the IP4M-1028W after learning here of the superiority of the 2MP Starlight varifocal if you want something rather than blur that is usable for identification of thieves at night. I was going to get the HDW-2321 version direct from Andy with an NVR but then decided to go with the former for the superior firepower so to speak. =)

I'm going to wait on the NVR for now until I figure out a grand plan instead just throwing a base model NVR in the mix. I want to try to leverage my current investment if possible and am looking at a 4 cam 8 channel Lorex 4K Active Deterence system (LNR824KXB) using LNB8105X cameras and LNR6100X NVR from Costco. i don't know if my two Amcrest will work with the NVR yet but they do work with SmartPSS as is.

Still want to flash both Amcrest if possible though so I don't depend on Amcrest for anything ever again.
I figure if I can't flash them I'll probably sell them for a loss and move on with something from Andy or Costco or a combination.That box system seems to be a good fit for my needs otherwise and comes with tech support I can call if I have a problem which in my infancy here would be quite valuable.=)

So if you made it this far, thank you and I appreciate any insight or directional pointers to information I'm clearing lacking or of which I should be acutely aware at this point.

Cheers

iceman805

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, but it's hard to Grok in fullness. LOL My eyes are sore and my head hurts from reading that thing over and over...peak information density right now.

I got the 5231 up and running. I used the 12v 3A (center post positive is missing info on the Cliff Notes) power adapter that came with the SD49212T-HN in place of the 12v 1A that it calls for but doesn't ship with. it. It had PAL only firmware and I'm use to NTSC so I flashed it with with the old software from 2017 much to my chagrin and then found the right thread and went with the 640 PAL/NTSC version. There were interface changes that I don't understand because there is a LOT I don't understand. For whatever reason I couldn't get the unit to record on motion detect and I think the zoom was missing in the 2017 firmware but I could have missed the tab.

Once I finally got the right firmware installed I connected it to my 8 port POE+ 96W switch (AGPS9E8P-AT-96) that I use to run the SD49212 and it's live recording via motion detect. Next up is running about 150 feet of Cat6 around the house to the switch and installing it in the only place I can think of that is less than 8 feet high for facial recognition. Makes the camera completely vulnerable but it should capture all approach...I think. I'll most like want to add a camera to watch the 5231.

Can't wait to adjust it tomorrow and dial it in as much as possible. I've been breezing through user guides and manuals for this stuff and I'm not seeing very much in the way of explanation for what the various settings do but will sit down and RTFM to see if I can suss it out. Just no more Cliffs notes this week. ;-P

Sometime later this week I'm going to see if I can determine the right firmware for the SD49212. I have SD49212T-HN_Firmware_1547352488457 but no clue if it's old or new...it's what was listed on the Dahua site right now.

Cheers!