Is it ok to use pre made cat6 vs building your own?

imazephed

n3wb
Reaction score
Just bought 6 IPC-HDW5231R-Z and a NVR4216-8P-4K and now need to gather the rest of the necessary components needed to finish the install. I was curious if store bought cat6 would be good enough for me. If I bought the crimpers and bare cable I am sure I would never need them again unless I added a camera later but could buy pre built cable for it as well. I just dont want to buy crap that doesn't last a lifetime or give the absolute best performance. It looks like a 100 ft cable runs between 10 and 15 on ebay.

If the will suffice any advice on where to buy the best quality for the least amount of money?

Also I want to be able to pull up the cam feed or playback on the tv in my bedroom. Is there a way other than running a hdmi thru the attic from the nvr to do this? I see a wireless hdmi set up on newegg would this work? Nyrius ARIES Home HDMI Digital Wireless Transmitter & Receiver for HD 1080p Video Streaming (NAVS500)-Newegg.com

It would be a lot less expensive to run a hdmi cable but would take considerably more time. The advantage of wireless would be I could change it to the tv in the family room or kitchen if I ever wanted to. Maybe even have two receivers on different tvs if that would work.

If there is an easier way please let me know. I am a total noob with this technology

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
making them your selves means you only have to drill 1/4in holes to pass the cable through walls instead of 3/4in holes.. and when pulling pre-terminated cables its very easy to damage the connectors.. Make sure your getting solid copper 24awg cat6, no flat cable shit.

Wireless HDMI is a waste of money; they only work for getting across the same room.. dont expect the wireless signals to pass through a wall and still have enough signal to work well.

imazephed

n3wb
Reaction score
making them your selves means you only have to drill 1/4in holes to pass the cable through walls instead of 3/4in holes.. and when pulling pre-terminated cables its very easy to damage the connectors.. Make sure your getting solid copper 24awg cat6, no flat cable shit.

Wireless HDMI is a waste of money; they only work for getting across the same room.. dont expect the wireless signals to pass through a wall and still have enough signal to work well.
Thanks nayr I didnt think about the hole size difference. I just am afraid that I will put the ends on wrong if I do it myself. I guess I need to grow a pair and buy some crimpers ends and cable and figure it out.

I figured as much on the wirelss hdmi. I will run a cable in the attic to the tv in the bedroom.

Will I be able to pull up the feed on my laptops and pc's via software that dauha provides with the nvr?

I was going to keep a wireless keyboard and mouse attached to it will they work fine so I dont have to keep it wired to both. I am considering building a metal enclosure to mount it inside that is locked so no one can steal it. I have seen a few online but could build a much better one in my shop. I will mount this to the wall in a bedroom closet so it will not be easy to access. Having a wirelss keyboard and mouse make this a possibility it wont work if I have to have it wired.

Also I read a post where you speak highly of WD purples so I was going to order 2 4tb off amazon for 130 each. Will 2 4 tb drive be ample? About how long could I expect 7 cameras at the best settings to record across 2 4 tb drives? I should never be away from home for more than 10 days straight. Any longer than that I would have house sitter. The price jumps siginicantly once you go above 4 tb but if I cant get 10 days record time I will have to bite the bullet now and spend the extra cash for larger drives.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you're getting into IP cam's networks, PC's, etc., being able to install RJ-45 connectors properly is an invaluable skill and pretty much a necessity. Here's a link to a post I made back in Dec. 2016 that might help you. Network Cable Color Code

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
once you have a spool of cable and all the tools you'll find your self running more cables, all my TV's have wired ethernet, PS3/PS4.. WiFi just sucks, always buffering and your getting your ass handed to you in online multiplayer games when it glitches out because someone wants some Nacho's

I also have PoE Access points mounted on the ceiling in my living room, office and in the hallway outside the bedrooms, and one more outside on my fireplace.. almost always have line of sight to an access point so 5GHz works very well and is very fast.. Most people have such shit wifi they can never achieve there full internet speeds, and then they put a bunch of devices on Wifi that have no business being on em further screwing performance.

imazephed

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Tony I think I can follow those instructions. Would it be the same for cat 6