Is it possible to have BI installed on TWO PC's, only recording to PC one, but bieng able to view on PC two?

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Kind of a confusing question. I have my main Blue Iris PC that's in one part of my house, but I would like to also view and watch videos on my office computer, NOT through the web UI. I assume it's possible to have BI installed on two places at once and be able to read from the cams at both locations, but can I access saved video on one PC from the other?

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have Windows 10 Pro then Remote Desktop Connection would work. Connect thru a VPN from your office to home. Then no need for BI to be installed on second PC.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Easiest would be to use some form of RDP to access the server from your office computer.

You could set up a second instance of BI in various ways but more complicated and would require another license.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@talisman2208 As others have mentioned windows remote desktop is fast and free (on windows pro)...Note you must go to blue iris options >cameras> video during remote desktop and select unrestricted or it will be limited to the default 1 frame every 5 seconds.

Blue iris also has a built in remote management function - this allows you to fully control BI from a remote computer as if you were using it locally. This requires a second blue iris license (email BI support and I believe they sell it for half price). Search "Remote management" in the help file

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Why bummer? RDP is pretty easy and works well. Basically have your remote machine in a window where you can control it as if you were sitting there. It does add some overhead to the server but other than that no major complications.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here ya go talisman2208 Instructions start around the 6 minute mark. I was not aware of this until mr. fenderman mentioned it and may play with it myself just for the hell of it.
HUGE Blue Iris Update! - How to setup Remote Management
youtube link here:

Last edited:

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Seems like a good reason to get Windows 10 Pro if you are looking for a used PC like the Dell off-lease.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just set up the above BI Remote Management using another system and connected using Tailscale and it worked right off the bat. There is a little lag when viewing clips but no worse than when using UI3. Did not notice any significant increase in CPU/RAM on main server.

update. I set up to use on a neighbors BI system who has Windows 11 home and using Wireless Cell internet and live view was fine but viewing clips was very slow using Remote Management. Using UI3 worked fine for viewing them though.

Last edited: