Is it possible to use a Ubiquiti PoE Injector for the Hikvision Camera?

z3r0r0

n3wb
Reaction score
Camera model: DS-2CD2622FWD-IS Camera
Ubiquiti PoE Injector Model: POE-48-24W or POE-48-24W-G

Hello guys,

As the title says, can you use the mentioned PoE Injector (POE-48-24W or POE-48-24W-G) to power up and connect the Hikvision Camera (DS-2CD2622FWD-IS).

Thanks in advance for your replies.

z3r0r0

n3wb
Reaction score
These are passive PoE adaptors.
As far as I know, I saw other installations and Youtube Videos with hikvision setup that use PoE Injectors.
Like in this link

Maybe you're implying that it is not recommended to use PoE Injectors but it is possible to powered them via PoE Injectors?

bigbillsd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ubiquity Passive POE injectors are 24volt which is not the voltage of the POE standards aka af and at standards, which I believe are 48 volt injectors. Your camera needs "af" standard injector. -Bill

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It seems no one has agreed on an answer. Ubiquiti are not active they are passive. Powering POE devices is not a problem. Active devices prevents accidents such as using the wrong voltage. So it’s okay to use a 48V Ubiquiti POE injector to power IP camera. The poor guy just wants an answer. Let’s agree yes or no then discuss merits and reasoning.

z3r0r0

n3wb
Reaction score
Before we discuss merits and reasoning, I'd think it relevant to the subject under consideration to understand why @z3r0r0 wants to use a Ubiquiti PoE Injector to power a Hikvision camera.
Yup. I have one. Just want to make sure that if it is compatible or not.

It seems no one has agreed on an answer. Ubiquiti are not active they are passive. Powering POE devices is not a problem. Active devices prevents accidents such as using the wrong voltage. So it’s okay to use a 48V Ubiquiti POE injector to power IP camera. The poor guy just wants an answer. Let’s agree yes or no then discuss merits and reasoning.
Thanks for your straightforward and understandable answer. Might as well try it as soon as I get the camera.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yup. I have one. Just want to make sure that if it is compatible or not.

Thanks for your straightforward and understandable answer. Might as well try it as soon as I get the camera.
The camera spec is indeed 802.3af which provides for a range of 37 to 57V, nominally 48V, as is the output voltage of the PoE injector you listed. Also, the max current for 802.af of 15.4W is within the capability of that injector 24W rating. Looks like it lines up just fine to me.

georgedb

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this thread up but I just want to share my experience in case someone else is still looking for an answer:
Ubiquiti POE-24-12W with PoE 802.3af and

Hikvision DS-2DE2204IW-DE3/W with PoE 802.3af

even though they both have the .3af standard - it's a no go for my situation, won't power at all.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The model is GP-A240-050
OK, so that's a different model from that first quoted.
But it's still a passive 24v PoE injector, with no mention of 802.3af compliance.

The camera requires either 12v DC, or an 802.3af PoE source for power.

georgedb

n3wb
Reaction score
Got it off a website that wrongfully listed it as 802.3af compatible - will look for others now, such as the TP-Link TL-POE150S - will this be appropriate ? Thanks again!