Is my cam defective?

kelhus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been lurking for a few months and I've learned much from this forum and am looking for some more advice. I placed an order from Andy for a few IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras and am having a difficult time connecting to the first one.

I purchased the new BV-Tech POE switch model SW802-DIN which has the 802.3at protocol. My plan was to let giomania know of the new model once I tested it out. I hooked the first camera up to that and then my computer directly to the uplink to keep a closed system for testing. Once connected, I hear a couple clicks on the the camera and both lights on the corresponding jacks on the switch light up green with a bit of flashing yellow.

From here, nothing works as I expected. First, I couldn't connect using the default Dahua IP for the camera. I typed it into IE and it says that I'm offline and it cannot connect. Then I installed a Blue Iris trial and that doesn't discover any cameras on the network. Then I installed the Dahua Config Tool and finally it is able to detect the camera at the default IP address but it doesn't list the model correctly, calling it a generic "IP Camera" and not the HDW5231R-ZE.

But it does detect it so I try clicking the link to the web config from within the config tool and it pops open IE with the IP address I tried before and still gives me the "can't connect" message. So then I try changing the IP of the camera through the Config Tool, which works. After changing and re-detecting, the altered IP shows up but I still can't connect to the web configuration nor through the Blue Iris utility. So I can detect it, change the IP, but I can't seem to connect to it beyond that function.

My question is did I totally miss something? Do I have a defective unit? Did I pick the wrong POE switch? I wanted to ask before I just start plugging in the other cameras in case I've done something wrong that will brick each one in turn.

Thank you so much for any advice you may have!

k

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My question is did I totally miss something?
The big clue that you haven't mentioned in order to provide helpful advice is -

What IP address your PC is set to.
I'd guess it's an 'self-administered 172.x.x.x address' as you may not have access to a DHCP server on your isolated network.

If that's not in the same range as the default IP address of the camera - which presumably the config tool showed as 192.168.1.108 then the browser on the PC will not connect to the camera.
What IP address did you change the camera to and why?

kelhus

n3wb
Reaction score
Doh! Thank you very much! I'm still a network newbie so I didn't even think about my PC. I've got myself sorted for now. Camera is up and connected via blue iris.