Is someone pointing a laser at my camera?

Ultima

n3wb
Reaction score
Last night at about 3:30 am my camera detected motion and captured this video. At first I though it was insects that set it off but after watching it a few times I noticed the difference, all the dots move at the same time and rate across the screen. There is no chance of it being light reflected from a car or anything else. I'm not sure if someone was pointing a laser or flashlight at it or if this kind of thing can be caused by something else. The light source appears to be coming from the right of the camera(the only blind spot on my property). Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Last edited:

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Definitely not a laser or flashlight. Bugs or debri is what I think.

Ultima

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok thanks for your reply. I've seen lots off bugs and stuff ive just never seen the dots move at the same time like that before

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
This looks like a spider web. Sometimes you may see dew or dust particles also, which looks like a swarm of nats that all move in the same direction

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Spider web.
Also It appears you have a dome camera and there are reflections on the dome from the IR reflecting from your soffit.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have these show up at my vacation property 700 miles away. It fills my NAS with useless triggers. The simple solution: Turn off the IR for one night. Sure, it's a vulnerability being blind, but the spider will move away by the following night. When long poles and sprays aren't an option, killing the light will work.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is a spider web being illuminated by the IR. The bugs are attracted to the IR and the spiders build their webs there. If you disable the built in IR and setup external IR illuminators that will draw the bugs and spiders away from your cameras.

@erkme73 this would reduce your false-positives profoundly. Admittedly it is additional expense but might be worth it to prevent the useless triggers.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, I've recorded hours of similar spiderweb activity. I try to remember to sweep the camera when I let the dogs out before bed. That gives me about 4 hours before the little 8-legged *****s start spinning again.