Is their better at a reasonable budget ?

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello,

This pic is from one of the latest Lorex 4k Cameras. The scene has reasonable light i.e porch light near and lights on street, plus Xmas lights as it's Xmas. Yet, the picture seems bad to me, I would expect a lot more detail considering suspect is right in front of camera at approx 15ft.

Is this really as good as it gets ?

Suggestions welcome.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

This pic is from one of the latest Lorex 4k Cameras. The scene has reasonable light i.e porch light near and lights on street, plus Xmas lights as it's Xmas. Yet, the picture seems bad to me, I would expect a lot more detail considering suspect is right in front of camera at approx 15ft.

Is this really as good as it gets ?

Suggestions welcome.
Hi @Night-Owl

What camera model?
What is the resolution?
What is the sensor size?
What is the FOV?
F-stop?
What are the settings you are using in the camera?

Do you having test images from a suspect moving? - both in the day time and night time.

What NVR / VMS are you using?

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello mat200, it's the Costco kit below using default settings apart from everything is turned to max FPS, so 15 FPS in 4k.

I can upload some footage during day and night if it helps.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will not get any good quality pictures beyond the fence as the IR is bouncing off the fence and grass. For night you have a good picture inside the fence.

Provide motion video with what you are trying to accomplish.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
it's the Costco kit
There's your problem.

Chasing Megapixels on small sensors is one of the seven deadly sins for night time cctv performance. You've got 8mp on an unknown model of 1/2.5" sensor with a .3 lux minimum ilumination, no doubt at the 1/3s shutter. No wonder you get motion blur. Best value night performance at present is the 4mp 1/1.8" sensor.

Image Sensor1/2.5" 8MP
Video FormatNTSC
CompressionH.265/H.264
Effective PixelsH: 3840 × V: 2160
Resolution8MP/4K (3840×2160) @ 15fps
Scan SystemProgressive
Sync SystemInternal
S/N Ratio≥42dB (AGC OFF)
IrisEIS
AES Shutter Speed1/3 (1/4) ~ 1/10,000 seconds
Min. Illumination0.5 lux without IR, 0.3 lux with IR

Video OutputIP
Lens / Lens Type4mm F1.6 / Fixed
Field of View (Horizontal)88°
TerminationRJ45 Ethernet / 12V DC Power
IR LED Type850nm
Night Vision Range130ft (40m) / 90ft (27m)
Power RequirementPoE (Power over Ethernet) Class 0 / 12V DC
Power ConsumptionMax. 330mA / 4W
Operating Temp. Range-22° ~ 140°F / -30° ~ 60°C
Operating Humidity Range<95% RH
Environmental RatingIP66 (Indoor / Outdoor)

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unless it's my computer browser (Chrome) I can't see any video, only audio in the second file.

Edit: Also checked Edge, no video.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You will not get any good quality pictures beyond the fence as the IR is bouncing off the fence and grass. For night you have a good picture inside the fence.

Provide motion video with what you are trying to accomplish.
Hi, that's not IR, that's the porch light I believe. I don't believe IR is used unless it switches to black and white. Normally what happens is the built in white detergent light comes on when motion is detected, so may also be this. Lovely picture during day but at night, lots of motion blur, any settings I should try, or should I switch it to back and white at night to stop it struggling to provide a colour picture ?.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello mat200, it's the Costco kit below using default settings apart from everything is turned to max FPS, so 15 FPS in 4k.

I can upload some footage during day and night if it helps.
Hi @Night-Owl

Kit shows the following model camera is included:
4K E891AB Smart Deterrence Security Cameras x 8

Do look for threads here on the Lorex E891AB camera.

iirc those have the larger ( nicer ) 1/1.8" sensor - good news on that. As they are 8MP cameras they will not perform in low light as well as the 4Mp 1/1.8" models.

Look for ways to tune the parameters, and provide enough light, as you can improve the image capture with just playing around with that.

The FOV iirc is rather wide, and thus you should have about and ID distance of 20' ( about 3M ) to the 100ppf distance from those cameras during the day. In low light expect a shorter ID distance.

See the DORI section in the cliff notes for more info on that.

If you decide you need a better low light performance, look for the 4MP 1/1.8" sensor cameras that Andy ( EmpireTecAndy ) has from Dahua. You can augment that Lorex kit by replacing one of those IP cameras with a Dahua OEM camera.

Look for instructions / discussion shared here in a lorex + dahua thead...

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can try playing with the exposure settings to reduce or eliminate blur. A shutter speed of 1/60 will reduce it quite a bit but 1/120 is more ore less the defacto minimum.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
the active deterent light coming on will mess up your picture too.

similar camera to yours

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you all, I will try tweak the settings, if that does not work, back to Andy I guess for a 4MP camera. I have a IPC-B5442E-Z4E from him already taking care of the back, it's lovely but a bit big for the front. But if that's the best bet for the front also, then the footage wins over size :)

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can someone confirm that they can view the attached video clips, in my Chrome & Edge browser (Windows 10), I can only hear audio. If I download the file, no problem.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I changed one of the 2 cameras to shutter speed 1/60, looks like I need a lot more light now i.e a IR floodlight I guess, but I will monitor to see if it gives me better footage.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Can someone confirm that they can view the attached video clips, in my Chrome & Edge browser (Windows 10), I can only hear audio. If I download the file, no problem.
On quick try with no attempt to troubleshoot I also only get audio trying from the page. Same with the last file above.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On quick try with no attempt to troubleshoot I also only get audio trying from the page. Same with the last file above.
Hello,

I have to download and then open using VLC player on my mobile, I am downloading all footage using gdmss, please advise if I am doing something wrong