Is there a android turn your old phone into a IP camera app for NVR recording?

arw01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The smartphone collection is expanding with a couple more solid Samsung devices with good cameras. Was wondering if any of the apps that let you turn your smartphone into a security camera support ONVIF or streaming that I could connect my Hikvision rebranded by nelly NVR to record from?

Not like you can search on Google Play for security camera ip turn your phone into one onvif..

Alan

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The smartphone collection is expanding with a couple more solid Samsung devices with good cameras. Was wondering if any of the apps that let you turn your smartphone into a security camera support ONVIF or streaming that I could connect my Hikvision rebranded by nelly NVR to record from?

Not like you can search on Google Play for security camera ip turn your phone into one onvif..

Alan
The best solution is to sell your old phone and buy a true ip camera...it will be way more reliable than any phone....
Here is an app that claims to do it...never tested it
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emilianoschmid.ocular&hl=en

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Alan
IPWEBCAM

It will do what you want and its free, there are many others that turn old phones into cameras and accessable with TINYCAM MONITOR PRO

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
IPWEBCAM

It will do what you want and its free, there are many others that turn old phones into cameras and accessable with TINYCAM MONITOR PRO

The op wants to use it with hikvision NVR...ipwebcam only does mjpg....it wont work.

arw01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Indeed, want to put it as a camera to the NVR, not really interested in having a second android device recording the other android device and then having the NVR recording the cameras. The cameras in some of the phones are quite good in visible light. I may just put the IP Webcam on and see if it can record to the local sd card on the phone. Then if something comes up with in a week and I need a second perspective, it's out there.

Ultimately just want to record the stream like any other camera on the network on the Hikvision NVR.

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Check out OCULAR IP camera. It converts your android smartphone into a ONVIF compliant camera. My Geovision NVR can connect to it and record from it as an ONVIF camera. AMAZING! I now need it to switch between front and back cameras and do the zooming. Also hope it will record at the max resolution the phone can do (currently it goes up to 1920x1080 for my 4K UHD). I emailed to the app author (in Argentina). Hope he will soon make it happen. When so, any old android phone can be a 5MP (or MORE!) optical-zoom wifi camera. That is more than a few hundred $ of saving!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
. When so, any old android phone can be a 5MP (or MORE!) optical-zoom wifi camera. That is more than a few hundred $ of saving!
The phone has digital zoom not optical. An android wireless phone cannot replace an ip camera...its a nice toy though..

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok. I agree the zoom is not optical but how would it not replace a IP camera when my NVR can record from it all day long (using motion detection on the NVR aiming at a fish tank)? Can you even get a 5MP (currently 2MP) wifi varifocal (optical or not) camera for $50 (my old HTC sensation 4G)? Maybe with a newer phone supporting AC wifi, it can do 4k video (8MP) soon? I am not comparing it to name brand cameras that have all the bells and whistles (saving video locally, playback GUI, etc) I don't need. I just need it ONVIF compliant and produce a stream of video continuously.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. I agree the zoom is not optical but how would it not replace a IP camera when my NVR can record from it all day long (using motion detection on the NVR aiming at a fish tank)? Can you even get a 5MP (currently 2MP) wifi varifocal (optical or not) camera for $50 (my old HTC sensation 4G)? Maybe with a newer phone supporting AC wifi, it can do 4k video (8MP) soon? I am not comparing it to name brand cameras that have all the bells and whistles (saving video locally, playback GUI, etc) I don't need. I just need it ONVIF compliant and produce a stream of video continuously.
First, its NOT varifocal if its digital zoom. ANY camera/NVR supports digital zoom. Second wifi cameras should never ever be used for security purposes (your fishtank is an exception)....More megapixels DOES NOT translate into a better image in fact it makes low light and night images terrible (most if it is hype sold to suckers). Speaking if night time, the phones dont support IR night viewing. The phones are not designed to work as a camera running 24/7...you can get a much better result with a 70 dollar ip camera not 300 dollars...

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
@fixingstill I cleaned up the thread, leave it alone.

@arw01 I actually did this once for fun with an old Android phone and it worked for a while with Blue Iris to record, but it wasn't reliable. The IP on the phone would change all the time and it was a pain in the butt, but this was also about 2 years ago. I dont see how you would hook it up to a NVR though.

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ONVIF COMPLIANT! My Geovision NVR sees it as a ONVIF camera and I am sure any NVR that can use ONVIF can see it.

mongole

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I also have the same requirement as the thread starter. Hence digging up this old one... To monitor our young dog while letting him alone for some time, I want to use some old android smartphones as cameras. As I have a Synology NAS with Surveillance Station 7, an ONVIF compliant camera app would be great.

I tested OCULAR IP camera on a Nexus 5 and an Aquarius X5 Plus, to no avail. It works to stream the camera to http://www.ocularlive.com/. It also shows up in the Surveillance Station camera search as ONVIF camera, but I can not connect.

Do you have any hints maybe?

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It also shows up in the Surveillance Station camera search as ONVIF camera, but I can not connect.
If you haven't already done so, you may need to figure out the 'ONVIF port', it's not always 80.
Query the camera with ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net after giving it some logon credentials.
The ONVIF port is in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I used ipwebcam to connect an old smart phone to blue iris, worked well, the only time I had an issue is every time apps would update on the phone it would fuck with ipcamviewer and I'd have to restart it. This had hacked android on it though and was slow as shit. I could have disabled app updates and all of that but I was really just screwing around and also it was covering an area until I got a real cam there just so I could see what was going on. It's great if you want to make it into sort of a spy cam though, I was doing video and audio, nobody would suspect a cell phone sitting there leaning on something is recording video and audio and able to be seen and heard live. For that it's awesome. I'm not gonna shit on anyone who wants to do weird or different things. I know people who have crap analog systems and love them, if it makes you happy, do it and don't worry about what anyone else says. :p

mongole

n3wb
Reaction score
If you haven't already done so, you may need to figure out the 'ONVIF port', it's not always 80.
Query the camera with ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net after giving it some logon credentials.
The ONVIF port is in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page.
Hi alastairstevenson,
it's using 8080, but I added it in the settings. I gave ONVIF Device Manager a try, but as I only have a windows in a virtual machine on my mac in the moment, I had no luck. But I will give it another try.

Currently I am setting up an Raspberry Zero W with a camera and try to make it working as ONVIF IP camera. I will tell you how this worked out...

bin.jin

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I came here searching for this very topic about making an Android camera. It's an old thread, but if anybody has solved this one it would be nice to hear about it!
I use tp-link's VIGI NVR, and I tried to connect my Android phone's camera to this NVR. I've tried everything on this page. When I use IP Webcam(seems to support ONVIF now) app, the NVR seems to detect it as ONVIF and able to establish some kind of connection, but the status says "Not Connected" and the video is null. OCULAR app does not seem to work whatsoever, and I've tried using apps which use RTSP protocol, but the same problem as IP Webcam occurs.

Aocam

n3wb
Reaction score
renewing necro thread. Just go IP WEBCAM going on my old S7 Phone. Set up took 3 mins and 2 more mins to configure streams in Agent DVR (my play set up, for real stuff I use Blue Iris). Works great (so far ) and no complaints. Suggesstion for users having issues - define (put in ) your IP address in the scanner in the software (for me Agent DVR) and let it figure out the actual URL. As long as I was using URL provided by IP CAM user guide , I could not get a connection. After a the scan - software came up with different URL and they worked. Here is cut and paste - may help someone.
1668551096271.png