is there a "generic" firmware available for Hi3535 based NVR? (owsoo branded)

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm putting together (my first) system using wireless IP cameras and a cheap generic chinese NVR labelled "Owsoo".

Its displaying the streams from all the cameras and recording them to the HD i put in, so thats fine. But the web interface is horrible, and i wanted to try to upgrade the firmware to see if its been improved. It would also be really nice to be able to access the HD contents via FTP or Samba.

I can't find any company website for "owsoo", but i did discover** that my device is run by a Hi3535 system-on-chip made by Hisilicon.

Soooo... would it be possible to load the firmware from any Hi3535 based NVR into this unit?

I'm not to sure about the architecture of these things, thats why I'm asking. Thank you!

** found the location for a 4 pin header on the circuit board. i soldered wires to a TTL-to-serial converter so that I could monitor the console output during the linux bootup.

xavier00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think is a propietary board and firmware from the factory that makes these boards , they come in 100s of difrent brands , theres no clue on the net

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you'll just brick it like xavier00 here did, there are few options for recovery if you dont get this right the first time.. no you cant just load up firmware from another NVR ontop of it; there are plenty of variations your not accounting for.

if you need a better NVR you shoulda bought a better NVR..

frankge973

n3wb
Reaction score
20161013_082546.jpg20161012_234749.jpg20161012_234720.jpg20161012_234634.jpgHere some pictures from my NVR... it's like yours? it cannot find IP cams..... and it's not present a button for adding manually IP cam. In your?

Hermann

n3wb
Reaction score
View attachment 11728View attachment 11727View attachment 11726View attachment 11725Here some pictures from my NVR... it's like yours? it cannot find IP cams..... and it's not present a button for adding manually IP cam. In your?
Hello,

that looks like my NVR from OWSOO.

I had the same problem to add my IP-Cams.

The problem is, that the Cams need to support the ONVIF Protocoll!
Otherwise it will not work.

For my two cams (China-garbage)I found the solution.
I reached the camera with my Explorer.
Under the Camera menu I found the setup for ONVIF-Protocoll.
I switched the ONVIF-checking to OFF and the NVR could reach the Cams.

Maybe that is a solution for your problem.....

Regards Stefan

Hermann

n3wb
Reaction score
By the way,

this NVR is not that bad!
In the moment I have only the problem that I kant get the "movement detection" working.

An 30€ for a 8-channel NVR is a great price :)

If someone has informations for a new firmware - I am very interested to hear about!

tompet

n3wb
Reaction score
By the way,

this NVR is not that bad!
In the moment I have only the problem that I kant get the "movement detection" working.

An 30€ for a 8-channel NVR is a great price :)

If someone has informations for a new firmware - I am very interested to hear about!
Hello!

Have you hear something about new firmware files?

Regards
tompet

scoobyrd

n3wb
Reaction score
After researching this and a ton of time on this. What is stated is the Motion Detection only works on OWSOO compatible cameras. Even if your camera is ONVIF... it has to be on the owsoo compatible list.

"hi Maurizio, I know what you said, this nvr is really compatible with onvif cameras to preview, record, playback, etc. But when it comes to the motion detection, it will not work if not fully compatible. If you fail to use the motion detection, then it is not fully compatible with our owsoo nvr. thanks" -
Anyone out there find a new firmware to load up on these boxes?

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a OWSOO box here, i just checked it out. It is a 8 channelbox, HI3520 in it.
I cant get Motion Detect up and running. But this is really a cheap device.
On the menu you can turn on a buzzer, but in the box there is no buzzer installed (see markings)!

Often they sell the same box with different number of channel. There the firmware is working on more boxes. If you buy a 4Ch box and put a firmware for a 8Ch box on it it will work and your 4Ch device can now work with 8Ch.

But i would never try to bring firmware from an other manufactor on one of my boxes! Even if they look alike.

Owsoo1.jpg
Owsoo2.jpg

Hermann

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello together,

that sounds good with the firmware update - I need a new firmware to make a 16CH out of my 8 channel NVR :cool:

My dealer sent me a video (I guess from OWSOO) where they show how to configur the motion detection.
:) I sent him a video back, that it is not working with my cameras......
But the could (or will) not give me a contact at OWSOO.

But it would be good to have a contact to OWSOO to bother them....
@ scoobyrd - did you get the information regarding the compatible-camera list from OWSOO?
Than I would like to get your contact to them ;-)

Barkan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Maybe this link will help you to find the firmware.

资源下载 - 尚维国际

My owsoo 16ch nvr has the SW version V1.0.1.4000 and in the link looks to have a newer version.

Please note that I did not have tested it yet.

lsilva

n3wb
Reaction score
hello ,
I hope everyone is ok , i need some help , i have bought a owsoo 8 channel nvr to work with ip foscam cameras and when i start to setup the the cameras it gives me the error server broken , i have the nvr with fixed ip 192.168.1.130 , with the netmask 255.255.255.0 and my router is 192.168.1.1 that is the default gateway and my camera ip adress is 192.168.1.123 ! i have already tried the nvr with dhcp and i get the same issue ! when i search the camera it founds the camera , i added put the admin and password of the cam and then it tries to make conection and gives this error ! can anyone help me ? i already think that the foscam camera is not compatible ! does anyone have experience this error ? best regards and thnaks in advance !

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i added put the admin and password of the cam and then it tries to make conection and gives this error !
What model / protocol are you using to try to connect these cameras?
If you are using ONVIF, you will need to specify the Foscam ONVIF port in the configuration.
For your (unspecified) Foscam cameras, you can find the ONVIF port using 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
Give it some admin logon details and it will tell you lots about the cameras.
The ONVIF port is in the URL at the bottom of the Identiification page.

lsilva

n3wb
Reaction score
hello , im usisng the onvif protocol the cameras has the onvif protocol built in im using the port 888 ( i have logged into the admin camera page to see what is the onvif port , and try to connect and gives the same error broken server ...

lsilva

n3wb
Reaction score
does any one knoes were to download the firmware/update to owsoo nvr ?

thanks in advance

best regards

onemsiz

n3wb
Reaction score
for NVR8 (or NVR4 or NVR 16) you find the Firmware here:

My Firmware version was: 1.0.1.4000

and now after upgrade: 1.0.1.5927

Works very well.

--------------------------------------------------------

Translated Link:

Google Übersetzer
---------------------------------------------------------

Direct Link:
http://120.25.250.77/UpLoadFiles/20161118/201603015-zhongxing-NVR8-V1.0.1.5927.zip

----------------------------------------------------------

Upgrade is very easy:
1. Unpack the downloaded archive and extract on a USB FlashDrive, the files (4 pieces must be on root of USB)
2. power off NVR
3. PUT USB-FlashDrive in a free slot of NVR
4. power on NVR
5. You see a symbol of a chip, wait until end of upgrade ! DO NOT POWER OFF DEVICE !
6. If see again the normal NVR Operation-Face again than is upgrade fulfilled / completed.
7. now remove USB Medium and restart the NVR
8. For change of Language right click with mouse and select 3. Symbol on setup an change the language

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the firmware. Worked for my Oswoo 16CH NVR. I updated from "1.0.1.5121" to "1.0.1.5927", no problems.

@Hermann I don't think you can flash from 8CH to 16CH, the boards is totally different. The 16CH e.g. has a usb3 port. So i would not recommend to mix it. The 16CH only costs 29,99$, local shipping from germany included, if you wanted to swap.

The software for each type can be downloaded from here http://www.sunywo.com/cn/resource/30.shtml

Reaction score
My cameras haven't arrived yet, but went with:

Gadinan with SONY IMX322 + Hi3516C 34$
Harex with Sony IMX322 + HI3516C + MIC 47$
Gadinan with IMX291 + Hi3516C 56$

I am aware that this is not HQ stuff, but i just want play/test around a little bit and it will be enough for my purposes.