Is there a good small camera for front and rear doors?

tomm

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking for something small like a ring doorbell so it can be placed next to the door and it would not be so obvious. I would like something that can interface with cameras from the rest of my system and connect to Dahua NVR. I have several outdoor cameras and have some areas blocked by landscaping so I would like something at each door that looks good.

tomm

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is what my front looks like so I dont have a good view of the front door.

Attachments

Bazooka302

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

tomm

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure if this fits your form factor, but I just got this camera:
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology
It's a Starlight, so the night vision quality is great. And it's surprisingly small, only 4" diameter. You could mount it slightly above the height of the door, and off to the side a bit and get good face shots of anyone at the door. Got it from Andy (EMPIRETECANDY) for $120 including DHL shipping (took 5 days).

Joe
Thanks for the suggestion but its too large for the area and above the door is brick and I dont want to cut into it. I was hoping to find something the width of the Ring Doorbell. (See Picture)
Since our front door glass is frosted you cant see who is at the door and the ring app freezes all the time when we try to see who is at the door.

Dahua has a cool size camera - VTO6100C | Dahua Technology but it looks like it only works with their intercom system.

20170302_165924.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have not had the pleasure yet; I do plan on getting one for the Kids Playroom.. once my wife moves her art studio/office out of the spare bedroom.

dfhawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had the same dilemma. I originally tried (not a Hikvision but this same style). I don't recall why but I ultimately returned the camera and went with the below:
HIK DS 2CD6424FWD 10 2MP Separated Network Camera Triple video streams 128GB ROI H.264 12 VDC PoE ONVIF HIKVISION-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I fabricated a wooden cover/enclosure in an attempt to blend it in with the house and used a cheap version of the below pinhole camera:
Hikvision Original English Vesion DS 2CD2D14WD 1MP CMOS WDR Mini Network Camera HD720P Video Pinhole Camera CCTV Camera-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The above likely won't work for your style of porch but perhaps it will inspire some other solution.

Attachments

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have not had the pleasure yet; I do plan on getting one for the Kids Playroom.. once my wife moves her art studio/office out of the spare bedroom.
Just received my HDBW4231F-AS from Andy. Plugged it in last night and right out of the box it has a very nice picture. Currently I only have it plugged into a test cable an sitting on a table. I need to run some cat 6 to the room I will be mounting it in. Hopefully in a week I will have the camera in place and can start checking out the settings on this camera to get the best overall quality.

Do you have any suggestions on settings ?

Thanks for the camera suggestion by the way.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The spec sheet says this is 4.17”×1.98”. Is that 1.98" thick? This looks like it would be perfect for my front door if that's the case.
Any chance someone can take a picture beside a soda can or some other common size item?

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The spec sheet says this is 4.17”×1.98”. Is that 1.98" thick? This looks like it would be perfect for my front door if that's the case.
Any chance someone can take a picture beside a soda can or some other common size item?
@Tygunn do you want a picture of the HDBW4231F-AS ? If so I will take one tonight when I get home.
It is a small camera! I was surprised when I received it.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Tygunn do you want a picture of the HDBW4231F-AS ? If so I will take one tonight when I get home.
It is a small camera! I was surprised when I received it.
Yes please. It's hard to guage size in the product photos.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes please. It's hard to guage size in the product photos.

YA I agree the picture on Dahua's size does not give you that visual you need. I know @nayr is the cam guru when it comes to the specs and what these pups can do so I won't venture into that territory. All I can say is after checking out the basics on this camera : The night vision is good in a pitch black 20 x 20 room . The Color with light is very good . The amount of area this camera covers is very good..
If you did all your home work , read up on @nayr's reviews and decided on this camera I think you would be pleased with it.

I wont be home for 5 - 6 hours but will try to remember to post some pic of it later.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
YA I agree the picture on Dahua's size does not give you that visual you need. I know @nayr is the cam guru when it comes to the specs and what these pups can do so I won't venture into that territory. All I can say is after checking out the basics on this camera : The night vision is good in a pitch black 20 x 20 room . The Color with light is very good . The amount of area this camera covers is very good..
If you did all your home work , read up on @nayr's reviews and decided on this camera I think you would be pleased with it.

I wont be home for 5 - 6 hours but will try to remember to post some pic of it later.
I've got the starlight varifocal turrets. I'm mainly looking for something smaller and less intrusive at the front door.

tomm

n3wb
Reaction score
I might just buy the IP Villa Outdoor station and see if I can somehow modify them to work.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got the starlight varifocal turrets. I'm mainly looking for something smaller and less intrusive at the front door.

I have been wanting the turret for my front door. The angle the camera is going to be placed and the night vision capabilities of it seem to meet my needs. How do you like the picture quality of it and which model did you get ?