Is there a preferred PC for running BluIris with 8 cameras?

hyde

n3wb
Reaction score
My old Thinkpad can't handle more than 2 cameras without overheating and I need something small.
Is there a budget-friendly small form factor desktop that's generally suggested or used by BI owners?

I read the reports to avoid processors with U.

Which desktop should I get? I am not planning to use it for anything else, only for BI.
Thanks.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
refurbished dell, hp, or lenovo with an i5 or i7 processor. 6th gen or newer preferred.
check dell outlet, prices fluctuate and better deals may occur later this month.

hyde

n3wb
Reaction score
refurbished dell, hp, or lenovo with an i5 or i7 processor. 6th gen or newer preferred.
check dell outlet, prices fluctuate and better deals may occur later this month.
Thank you tangent. I want to be able to hide it behind the cabinet or next to it without having too much noise/space (wife factor) so that's why I was considering compact/mini PC type of computers like UNC-type.

What cams how many
Zmodo 4 channel 720p system, but I am adding cameras on their own since Zmodo has horrible motion detection/alarm and the hard drive keeps getting corrupted.
Cameras are ZP-IBH15-S1

plus 1 x 720p foscam pan/tilt
plus 1 x 1080p foscam pan/tilt

And I am considering adding 2 more 1080p foscams.

My last Dual Core (not even core 2 duo) was handling 4 channels + 720p foscam without a problem, but it was running win 7. I had to get rid of it since it was huge and was making noise. I still prefer something small.
Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you tangent. I want to be able to hide it behind the cabinet or next to it without having too much noise/space (wife factor) so that's why I was considering compact/mini PC type of computers like UNC-type.

Zmodo 4 channel 720p system, but I am adding cameras on their own since Zmodo has horrible motion detection/alarm and the hard drive keeps getting corrupted.
Cameras are ZP-IBH15-S1

plus 1 x 720p foscam pan/tilt
plus 1 x 1080p foscam pan/tilt

And I am considering adding 2 more 1080p foscams.

My last Dual Core (not even core 2 duo) was handling 4 channels + 720p foscam without a problem, but it was running win 7. I had to get rid of it since it was huge and was making noise. I still prefer something small.
Thanks.
Larger systems make less noise....An optiplex or prodesk/elitedesk tower or small form factor will be inaudible...
HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF PC Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.20GHz 4GB Ram CD DVD RW. | eBay
upgrade to 10 for free as soon as you get it...
Accessibility at Microsoft
will run your load easy...

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You'll want something big enough a 3.5" drive fits inside the case. A NUC or similar is a waste of money add an external drive and it's just a mess.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy any more foscams or similar stuff. There's a huge difference when you go for some better cameras from a company like Dahua or Hikvision, the bottom end of good cameras is around $120/cam.

For functionality and WAF consider something like this to house the network switch and pc:
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Enclosure-Switch-Depth-SRW6U/dp/B003K1NFY4/
https://www.amazon.com/V7-RMWC6U-1N-Enclosure-assembled-adjustable/dp/B01K1JJHTO/

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hyde

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, I was worried that refurbished older units may not be reliable as 24/7 video monitors, are these generally reliable?
Tangent, I understand, I learned that after getting these systems, zmodo for example is a pain in the neck to manage, especially after they decided to disable local video playback over LAN.
Foscams were on sale a while ago and I wanted to use them as motion detectors more than cameras, and they just stayed.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, I was worried that refurbished older units may not be reliable as 24/7 video monitors, are these generally reliable?
Just replace the hard drive with a Western digital purple drive. I use off lease HP Compaqs. I pay around $120 for a fully ready pc with a i5-3570 or similar with 8gb ram and windows installed (just add in WD purple drive)

hyde

n3wb
Reaction score
Just replace the hard drive with a Western digital purple drive. I use off lease HP Compaqs. I pay around $120 for a fully ready pc with a i5-3570 or similar with 8gb ram and windows installed (just add in WD purple drive)
Where you get them must be important, too, right?
I was thinking about getting SSD, is it better or worse for cam recording?

As for reliability, HDD is not really the main thing I am worried about. I worry more about fan failure or overheating or motherboard issues on PC's running 24/7 after it comes off lease? Or is this an unreasonable worry? Thanks!

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where you get them must be important, too, right?
I was thinking about getting SSD, is it better or worse for cam recording?

As for reliability, HDD is not really the main thing I am worried about. I worry more about fan failure or overheating or motherboard issues on PC's running 24/7 after it comes off lease? Or is this an unreasonable worry? Thanks!
Ebay - I'd rather take my chances on a $120 set up and just replace something if it fails than starting with the same setup new that would cost $500 to do new.

I recently just had an Asrock motherboard fail on my work computer that was less than 2 years old and I rarely have it on more than 4 hours a day..... my off lease HP has been running 24/7 at 60% CPU load with zero problems now for going on 2 years

hyde

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks dasstrum, ebay link is not working for me for some reason, I was going to browse seller's other listings. The link is taking me to main ebay page.

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also avoid the T or U suffix processors. The wiki on this forum covers the details on computer specs and will be very helpful. Workstations are designed to run 24/7 in a business environment.

Many of the Optiplex workstations I've looked at still have some of the Dell warranty remaining. The more recent models also have newer chipsets, in addition to the better processors.
I picked up two Optiplex 5040s on evilbay for cheap because they have the dual core Pentium processors. Local guy has i5-6500 processors for sale. Total cost is far less than a 5040 with an i5.

hyde

n3wb
Reaction score
Also avoid the T or U suffix processors. The wiki on this forum covers the details on computer specs and will be very helpful. Workstations are designed to run 24/7 in a business environment.

Many of the Optiplex workstations I've looked at still have some of the Dell warranty remaining. The more recent models also have newer chipsets, in addition to the better processors.
I picked up two Optiplex 5040s on evilbay for cheap because they have the dual core Pentium processors. Local guy has i5-6500 processors for sale. Total cost is far less than a 5040 with an i5.
That's a good approach to get older workstations and swap processors as long as they have compatible chipsets. I had problems trying to upgrade my processors before especially on brand name computers. I guess Optiplex is a good idea, we have them in the office, they seem to be reliable generally.

Laser200

n3wb
Reaction score
Where do you find these off lease HP Compaqs?

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The best deals I've found are eBay, and local classified sources (Craigslist, Offer Up, Let Go).
I don't know if HP has an outlet store. Sometimes the Dell Outlet has decent deals on off-lease/returns/refurb computers including workstations, but as posted before the best deals go quick.

hyde

n3wb
Reaction score
My main complaint with some of these, especially HP and Lenovo branded ones, is that they don't come with HDMI ports, I guess I can always add $20 graphics card and call it a day.
I see there are others listed for $100-$150 range.

Is 2nd gen i5 too old?
HP 8200 Elite USDT Intel Core i5-2500S 2.7GHz Quad Core 4GB DDR3 WIN7COA | eBay

Is there a cut off when it comes to i5 or i7? Because I remember i5 going from one gen to another sped up a lot, so newer i5 might be faster than older i7, but I have no idea which one is better.
Or just don't mind that and go with any i5 under/around $100?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.