Is there a reliable online source for quality premade cables?

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The title is my question. :)

I could go to any store, but I suspect there's a cheaper source somewhere online that ISN'T crap, but I have no way to know which sources may produce garbage. I don't need anything longer than 60 feet to each camera.

If you "tried this place and the cable works fine"... Then respectfully that's not the answer I'm looking for because any source with inconsistent quality will probably produce a functional cable sometimes. I'm looking for a source with a solid reputation.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The title is my question. :)

I could go to any store, but I suspect there's a cheaper source somewhere online that ISN'T crap, but I have no way to know which sources may produce garbage. I don't need anything longer than 60 feet to each camera.

If you "tried this place and the cable works fine"... Then respectfully that's not the answer I'm looking for because any source with inconsistent quality will probably produce a functional cable sometimes. I'm looking for a source with a solid reputation.
Hi Paul,

I like monoprice for bulkcable - they should also have a good selection of premade cables - though perhaps not in such long lengths. hmmmm.... You may want to just pick up the skill of terminating RJ45 plugs ;-)

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You mean I should pick up: The skill, the tools, the time to research, so that I can produce a cable with reduced strain relief, reduced protection from the elements, absence of protection from hooking it when I pull it through walls, followed by troubleshooting if it doesn't work either initially, or in the near future because as a noob I may produce an inferior termination? :winktongue:

I'm all for doing things myself, but that would cost more in time and money, and likely produce a less reliable result. I really do think I'll buy one cable per camera, then very likely be done with cable acquisition for the rest of my life.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You mean I should pick up: The skill, the tools, the time to research, so that I can produce a cable with reduced strain relief, reduced protection from the elements, absence of protection from hooking it when I pull it through walls, followed by troubleshooting if it doesn't work either initially, or in the near future because as a noob I may produce an inferior termination? :winktongue:

I'm all for doing things myself, but that would cost more in time and money, and likely produce a less reliable result. I really do think I'll buy one cable per camera, then very likely be done with cable acquisition for the rest of my life.
LOL... it's not that hard, and when cabling allows you to do a better job - smaller holes, less rats nest of pile of cable in attic...

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
P.S. Thank you, sincerely... My post above was a bit dickish. Didn't mean it that way. I'll check monoprice.

Reaction score
I also recommend monoprice, I have used dozens of their cat5e and cat6 cables as well as many other types they make. So far only 1 cable failure in about 10 years as a customer, they replaced it for free.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I look at some of the things you mentioned differently. I don't see how a premade cable gives reduced elements protection, and I'd think there's more risk of hooking something in the walls with a connector already on the cable. I'm ready to get criticized for this next one: For a cable you just plug in and leave alone, I don't see any advantage to strain relief. If you plan on using the somewhat weatherproof plastic shield that comes with the cameras, you must add the connector yourself, without any strain relief. Agreed, crimping RJ45s is a pain, and you of course need to have the tools. After crimping over 50 of them, I still hate it and it takes me about 10 minutes each. The Monoprice RJ45s with inserts make the job a lot easier, and others will recommend RJ45s when the wires get pushed through and cut off during the crimping process. It's mostly the same principle as the inserts, done differently.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought pre-made CAT6 for the same reason as I have no experience terminating my own. As a result, I have rolls of excess cable tucked behind my computer and in the attic because my best guess measurements were always way over (or under...start again with a new cable run). So I totally get the "make your own" route...plus, equipment aside if you could borrow the tools, I think it would be a lot cheaper if you have a lot of long runs.

On a related note, CAT6 was initially recommended to me so that's what I bought but the more I read about it, unless I am ever going to upgrade to 4K cameras or the like, would I ever need more than CAT5e?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I look at some of the things you mentioned differently. I don't see how a premade cable gives reduced elements protection, and I'd think there's more risk of hooking something in the walls with a connector already on the cable. I'm ready to get criticized for this next one: For a cable you just plug in and leave alone, I don't see any advantage to strain relief. If you plan on using the somewhat weatherproof plastic shield that comes with the cameras, you must add the connector yourself, without any strain relief. Agreed, crimping RJ45s is a pain, and you of course need to have the tools. After crimping over 50 of them, I still hate it and it takes me about 10 minutes each. The Monoprice RJ45s with inserts make the job a lot easier, and others will recommend RJ45s when the wires get pushed through and cut off during the crimping process. It's mostly the same principle as the inserts, done differently.
+1 on this ^^^
You hit the nail on the head.
Also, you don't need to drill a 3/4" hole to pull all that stuff through, just a 3/8" (half as big).
You can be sure your cable is CMP or CMR-rated for those runs in the walls because it should be marked on the cable jacket.
And lastly, you can buy pre-connectored cable that is outdoor-rated (water & UV resistant) but again, your best choice is un-connectored and bulk.
Being concerned about how the elements affects the connection (a legitimate one, I might add) should also cause concern for the cable jacket for the same reasons...reliability and endurance.

Last edited:

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's not my position that you're wrong. Only that this is the better option for me. I'm spending $18 per cable in 75 foot lengths including California tax and shipping and boom... done.

To me time is money and this should work the first time. With four cables, how does that compare to the cost of bulk cable plus a quality tool I may never use again?

In the context of the weatherproof plastic shield, of course you're right that the strain relief and elements protection that would be afforded by the boot aren't a factor at that end. Hadn't thought of that. ;-)

I would want to make my own cables if any of the following applied to me:

If I needed to run it through conduit or small holes and it was easier to add the connector after.
If there was any reason to run the cables "along edges" such that any extra length would be ugly.
If I had any concern that too much cable would degrade the signal.

None of these apply to me. I will run cable from my NVR in the closet which has the attic crawlspace access. From there, roughly in the center of the house, each cable will span out in a "spiderweb" pattern through the attic crawlspace to each camera under eaves. No cable will be very long, and all will be hidden except in the closet.

I know there are people for whom a cable that isn't running along a wall, following every right angle is like fingernails on a chalkboard. I'm not such a person. This will have no risk of confusing which cable is which, and it will be invisible, from an aesthetic perspective.

If I knew that I would leave the system with the home when I sell, I'd want a more permanent installation. I don't know yet -- I may be taking the cables with me in the future and this will also make it easier to relocate a camera if I wish, especially with some extra length available.

And by the way, I'm in my 50's. Not ancient, but I'll be moving slowly in the attic crawlspace and my eyes aren't as good with tiny wires as they once were.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm always in favor of each person doing what's the best for himself, so I view this discussion as just a way to voice ideas, some of which any given person never thought of. I'm a master at "do it right the 2nd time", but sometimes somebody else's experience saves me from having to do it over. When I work with the connectors now I need to have a very good light and use extra strong reading glasses. 50s? That's "spring chicken" to some of us.