Is there a standalone BVR viewer?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you tried opening it in VLC? I think its just an h264 wrapper and its usually pretty good about finding a stream in a file.. not always but its the first thing you should to try to play a video in.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
VLC was actually the first one I tried as well. No go there...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that typically spells doom, and after a bit of searching it appears so.. VLC can play a BVR fie, but only if you encode w/DivX.

nothing will play a BVR file directly, but some 3rd party x264 encoding tools will convert it incase you need to retrieve and playback video from a remote machine w/out BI..

next thing I would try would be seeing if HandBrake can do a fairly quick pass and extract a playable x264 without fully transcoding the damn thing.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks Nayr. That's a bummer, my NVR machine is running at its capacity. So if I was viewing my recordings and BI running the response time is horrible. And it's not like you can install another BI instance with one license even if it's just for recording.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
agreed, if your going to make a proprietary video container the least you could do would be release an open source, cross platform conversion utility if you cant be bothered with maintaining a license-free standalone player.. preferably w/CLI options so you could do it from your fileserver if nessicary.

couldn't hurt to ask the BI guy for an enhancement, I hear he is very responsive.. looks like many people have been seeking such a player/utility only to be discouraged by the community, perhaps nobody has brought it up to him directly.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks Nayr. That's a bummer, my NVR machine is running at its capacity. So if I was viewing my recordings and BI running the response time is horrible. And it's not like you can install another BI instance with one license even if it's just for recording.
This is not true. You can download the BI software direct from the dev and install it with a 14 day trial. That should be long enough to figure out how to convert your BVI to another format don't ya think?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
couldn't hurt to ask the BI guy for an enhancement, I hear he is very responsive.. looks like many people have been seeking such a player/utility only to be discouraged by the community, perhaps nobody has brought it up to him directly.
I have heard that the standalone player is being worked on by Ken, the BI dev, by @fenderman on here, so that, if true, is good to hear

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What does he do when he needs to convert another file 6 months from now without, again bogging down his BI Server? Guess you could run it in a VM and keep rolling back snapshot and reinstalling it but damn that'd suck.

what about police departments, lawyers, investigators whom might not actually use blueiris but could get these files tossed at them erratically enough the trial is unworkable.

stand alone player would make alot of people happy, I feel for you.. I had a hell of a time getting these damn Dahua DAV files playing on OSX

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I actually did the VM deal a few months ago but as you said, creating multiple snap then reinstall BI each time is merely a solution.

Addition to some of the benefits you guys already mentioned. Being able to review clips from a 23" monitor to a 65" makes a huge difference when you're trying to look for details.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can ask for a standalone player. There is a client that is being worked on. I have no idea when it will be released.
This is only a problem if you are running your BI machine close to max - which is not a good idea anyway. By not using blue iris to review files you are loosing out on some of the primary features like muti-camera synchronous playback, timeline scrubbing, etc.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can ask for a standalone player. There is a client that is being worked on. I have no idea when it will be released.
This is only a problem if you are running your BI machine close to max - which is not a good idea anyway. By not using blue iris to review files you are loosing out on some of the primary features like muti-camera synchronous playback, timeline scrubbing, etc.
Now, if they release a client that can be configure to look at the same DB file as the main app, I don't see why we can't have all of the above.

BI running as services, my system run at average 65% CPU. When I open up the APP I jump to 85%.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Now, if they release a client that can be configure to look at the same DB file as the main app, I don't see why we can't have all of the above.

BI running as services, my system run at average 65% CPU. When I open up the APP I jump to 85%.
The app is planned...Your BI pc is simply under powered for your current setup of it hits 85 percent when open.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been waiting for dell outlet to have some 9020 or 7020 drop sub $300 before I upgrade. It is on my to do list.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You won't find an i5 haswell at the outlet for under 3..what processor do you have now..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an X3440 at the moment.
an i5 haswell will be a huge step up, particularly using hardware acceleration. Your pc is probably chewing lots of power since the processor is inefficient and you need a dedicated graphics card.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do have a dedicated graphic card. I will eventually move BI off this server to something more suitable.