Is there a way to hard wire a laptop to a DC source?

RIPE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am doing a solar installation in my van and want to power my laptop from a DC fuse block instead of plugging into the inverter. Is that possible?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Measure your DC laptop voltage, usually around 19vdc, if you are going to do that you still would still need a inverter.

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do the same. All you need a boost power supply that takes the 12vdc and converts it to 19vdc. Many available on Amazon. Since you are going from DC to DC, there is no need for and inverter.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
some of the newer laptops accepts usb c power delivery.. i haven't tried it yet but maybe it might work for you if it has a usb c port?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Even though most laptops are 19v, some will charge the battery with 12v directly.
Key term is SOME. These are the laptops with charging circuits that are not fussy about the correct input voltage and probably have very little protection.

This is not ideal though because the amount of power consumed by the computer is likely more than it would charge by.

Charging with a designed 12v to 19v charger or using an inverter is a safer option.
USB-C charging is a great feature if your laptop has it.

RIPE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good dash cam? Rear cam?

RIPE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Even though most laptops are 19v, some will charge the battery with 12v directly.
Key term is SOME. These are the laptops with charging circuits that are not fussy about the correct input voltage and probably have very little protection.

This is not ideal though because the amount of power consumed by the computer is likely more than it would charge by.

Charging with a designed 12v to 19v charger or using an inverter is a safer option.
USB-C charging is a great feature if your laptop has it.

This works flawlessly connected to 12v DC:

It comes with a bunch of adapters for most computers.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.