Is there a way to send alerts to my android tablet without using internet?

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Been looking around and learning the different ways BI can alert me to a triggered camera, but none seem to fit what I want.

Is there a way for BI to send an alert to my WIFI (LAN) Android device WITHOUT a connection to the internet? Just using the Local Area Network only?

When I use the android tablet to log into the BI web(viewer?), I don't see any options or settings. Am I missing something obvious?

The android device is a tablet, not a phone so SMS messages won't work. There is no connection to the internet so push notifications won't work. Tried looking for some kind of program I could execute on the PC but not having any luck.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Been looking around and learning the different ways BI can alert me to a triggered camera, but none seem to fit what I want.

Is there a way for BI to send an alert to my WIFI (LAN) Android device WITHOUT a connection to the internet? Just using the Local Area Network only?

When I use the android tablet to log into the BI web(viewer?), I don't see any options or settings. Am I missing something obvious?

The android device is a tablet, not a phone so SMS messages won't work. There is no connection to the internet so push notifications won't work. Tried looking for some kind of program I could execute on the PC but not having any luck.
This is going to be a bit tricky but doable. The only challenge I see here is that an android is not a "server" in your network. But here are couple of brainfarts:
- if the BI pc does not have internet access, then I'm pretty sure some other "server" component does have it. Work through that channel: I saw once a setup where an (offline) BI/NVR was dumping snapshots in a shared folder, where a telegram/whatsapp service grabbed each new component and forwarded this to all members. So basically you're adding a "message" gateway
- if you don't like the telegram/whatsapp, you might work with some home-automation stuff like mqtt - Google Search and others to get the message to the required endpoint
- only allow push notifications from the bi pc :)

Hope this helps!
CC

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Possibly install a free or opensource SMTP/POP e-mail server on the BI server, send an e-mail using the SMS/MMS address (like "10-digit-cellnumber@txt.att.net" or "10-digit-cellnumber@mms.att.net" (AT&T) or "10-digit-cellnumber@vtext.com" or "10-digit-cellnumber@vzwpix.com" (Verizon) and so on for other cellular carriers as shown in the BI alert drop-down.

I use the AT&T e-mail for SMS often via WAN and am notified of a BI alert on my iPhone in less than 5 seconds. This past summer I set up an old, indoor Trendnet pan/tilt wireless VGA cam at bottom of front steps with additional IR source and killed 6 armadillos in a week that way with my Henry .22LR carbine (fitted with flashlight and red laser, of course). When I used the MMS I got an attached image that showed which way the 'dillo was headed so I knew which way to turn when I came down the steps.

I haven't done it but I see no logical /technical reason why SMTP/POP can't be used successfully on LAN only if you have email server software on your BI server in that same LAN and the smartphone is on that same LAN via Wi-Fi.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

If you are viewing cam via UI3, then you can set audio alerts if that would work for you. See the 3 dots at the upper right corner for settings and config.