Is there any advantage to using a dedicated video card?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I noticed increased power usage when using a dedicated video card with BI. Would I benefit if I use the iGPU on the motherboard? Or will that only produce an increased CPU load?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point especially if using VPP.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (either internal graphics on the CPU or an added GPU) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using a GPU and hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not offloading to a GPU.

It is best to just use the GPU now for AI and use substreams for BI.

As always YMMV.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I definitely need to make sure I have this (AI + sub streams) configured correctly in BI. Every time I add a camera, it changes everything :facepalm: Time to go back to settings.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point especially if using VPP.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (either internal graphics on the CPU or an added GPU) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using a GPU and hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not offloading to a GPU.

It is best to just use the GPU now for AI and use substreams for BI.

As always YMMV.