is this cheap no-brand poe switch interesting?

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for a non-expensive silent switch with 8 poe ports (and 1 uplink ofcourse). It will be used for seven (maybe eight) 4MP Dahua ipcams.

I've seen this switch on aliexpress that seems to meet the above requirements:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-ship-9-port-8-poe-switch-IEEE802-3af-PoE-suit-for-Hikvsion-dahua-and-other/32326770961.html

Would you recommend this switch (from this seller)?
The feedback seems good and seller is super-responsive. On my questions whether it has a 4 poe ports or 8 poe ports and if it has a fan he replied:

generally 8 ports for camera(ieee 802.3af). But for some AP(IEEE 802.3 at) only support four port at the same time.
This switch have no fan. so it have no noisy
I'm ready to pull that trigger :)

My other alternatives would've been two tplink switches with 4poe ports each, but it seems like an overkill and a waste (especially energywise):
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@randyth Dont buy cheap no name poe switches on ali...you are asking for trouble..

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@randythDont buy cheap no name poe switches on ali...you are asking for trouble..
I understand that. i guess it seems too good to be true (but you have to admit, the feedback seems very positive! It almost seems worth the risk).

But i know better than going against fendermans sound advices.

Do you know a better/safer alternative that fits my use?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
That is a generic POE switch that a ton of IP camera manufactures in China resell. They make 4,8,16,24 port versions. I don't know who the actual manufacture is of the hardware but I have 5 or 6 catalogs from vendors with that switch in it. The spec's art awful til you get into the 24 port version which has some limitations (bandwidth). I've never ordered them though, as Fender stated you want to stay away from off brand/generic hardware when it comes to certain things.

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is a generic POE switch that a ton of IP camera manufactures in China resell. They make 4,8,16,24 port versions. I don't know who the actual manufacture is of the hardware but I have 5 or 6 catalogs from vendors with that switch in it. The spec's art awful til you get into the 24 port version which has some limitations (bandwidth). I've never ordered them though, as Fender stated you want to stay away from off brand/generic hardware when it comes to certain things.
You are right. It def looks shady (but tempting at the same time).

Does anyone have a recommendation for me (looking for a non-expensive silent switch with 8 poe ports)?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The OP does not want "cheap," rather, the OP needs a quality PoE switch which isn't too expensive. :)

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The OP does not want "cheap," rather, the OP needs a quality PoE switch which isn't too expensive. :)
OP understood (OP often gets dumb ideas). :)
Any suggestion for this?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Buy a Netgear Prosafe, not that expensive I picked a brand up a new 24 port 12/12poe on eBay for £59 Inc delivery.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have that one, it's a true 8 port. I've had no issues with it, but I also have a 7 port 1 uplink TPLink POE switch as an extra now. It has 4 POE ports, and 3 Regular ports, and 1 uplink port.

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Really, no issues sofar? is it on 24/7? And you're using all 8 ports as POE (which cams are you using with that switch)?
Now that no-name switch seems interesting again...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...Now that no-name switch seems interesting again...
Resist! I use a 24-port Netgear FS728TP which you can find on eBay for $100.00. 24 PoE ports + 4 GB ports. It works well for me. No complaints except that it's web interface is slow...but how often do I need to use the web interface? Well, after I initially configured it...never. But make certain that the unit which you are purchasing has been reset to the factory defaults. One word: this is a managed switch so it is a tad more difficult to set up than an un-managed switch.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
E-bay is your friend! Enterprise updates often so sells a lot of their older gear. Here is a POE+ HP Networking switch for $109.

These originally came with Lifetime Warranty's. They are managed, but if you set them to Factory Defaults they just become dumb switches with twice the Back-plane throughput of most Netgear and similar consumer/smb switches. Look up the difference between POE and POE+ relative to camera usage. This switch has 8 POE+ ports with a normal port for the up link. It can supply each port with up to 25 watts on cat-6. You might want a PTZ someday... :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-1910-8G-PoE-JG349A-ABA-8-Ports-Switch-POE-Switch-Only-/141828538951?hash=item2105a3c247:g:kTQAAOSwMTZWR5oR

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had it since Sept. I have 4 POE cameras on it, (3) Dahua 4MP and (1) Dahua 4MP Dome.
Disclaimer, I have been battling a freezing issue with motion, BUT, even my brand new TP Link POE switch has the motion issues, so it is NOT the no name 8 port POE switch.
It's a heavy switch, it seems made well. You never know about anything really.

I'm not trying to sway you in any direction, I'm just giving you my feedback and use of the switch.

24/7 recording, POE switch came with my 16ch Dahua NVR
(3) IPC-HDW4421C 4MP Turret
(1) IPC-HDBW4421R-AS 4MP DOME

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions all.
That TPLINK 8-port gigabit switch seems interesting,...but according to this review (and some of the comments on amazon), the 8-port poe version (TL-SG1008PE) has a very loud fan (which i can't have in my bedroom) :(

I was thinking about two 4 port TPLinks too (connecting them together). It does seems like a waste (occupying two outlets, twice the space and consuming twice the electric power), but it definitely is a viable and economical option.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That switch looks good to me! "Never burned device" is reassuring and "Suit for almost all kinds of poe camera" tells you all you need to know.:)

For something like this I'd stick to a name brand switch on amazon. This is a single point of failure for the entire system and not a place worth saving a few bucks unless you know with complete certainty (which you can't with listings that talk about "never burned device") that this is the same as another branded switch, just in different packaging.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have this switch from when I first put up 2 cameras and it worked a treat and never skipped a beat. Only drawback was the noise. I had it on top of my wardrobe in my bedroom and with the doors open I could hear it. Doors closed and it muffled the noise quite a bit but you could still make it out. I've only got it as a spare now as a have a carrier grade Cisco switch which I'm using instead.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Resist! I use a 24-port Netgear FS728TP which you can find on eBay for $100.00. 24 PoE ports + 4 GB ports. It works well for me. No complaints except that it's web interface is slow...but how often do I need to use the web interface? Well, after I initially configured it...never. But make certain that the unit which you are purchasing has been reset to the factory defaults. One word: this is a managed switch so it is a tad more difficult to set up than an un-managed switch.
I have the same switch and you aren't kidding. The web interface is terribly slow. I sometimes had to get in to reboot some unreliable chinese cams but I finally replaced those cams this year :)

Really the only problem is that it is noisy due to the fans.

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been seeing this eagle eye switch around for a while: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H58P8RU

8 PoE + 1 uplink, small form factor

I have never had one myself so I do not know if they are silent.

It has no fan according to http://www.eagleeyenetworks.com/networking/

Thank you bp2008! you may have found the perfect money/value switch!

I think i will be trying this eagle eye switch (with my review coming up on this board).

EDIT:
I've also seen this bv-tech switch:
http://www.amazon.com/Bv-Tech-POE-SW800G-Port-Gigabit-Channel/dp/B00F6DL2FS

It's $5 more compared with the eagle eye switch but it has a couple of advantages:
- it's gigbit (though I don't know how that is any use for me as I intend to use it for eight 4mp ipcams).
- it supports
802.3at/aft (the eagle eye supports Class3 (802.3af)

The disadvantage though is that it has no uplink port and seems to use more watt-power (bad for the energy bills)

What is the disadvantage of the missing uplink?
I'm not sure what the uplink is being used for but according to my research it is to connect the switch to other routers/networks (which is needed in my case as I have an internet router and i intent do connect a blue iris server to it).
In that case I cannot see the use of a switch without an uplink (how would one access the cameras?),

Which one of these is recommended?