Is this image sensor failure?

manarius

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Dahua cameras that are about 3 years old and they are starting to look like this when I look at them in BlueIris. I can fix it by restarting the camera in BlueIris, but it comes back periodically. Is this a sign of impending failure with the cameras? Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have Dahua cameras that are about 3 years old and they are starting to look like this when I look at them in BlueIris. I can fix it by restarting the camera in BlueIris, but it comes back periodically. Is this a sign of impending failure with the cameras? Thank you.

more likely a blue iris or video driver issue. You can test this by logging into the camera when this is occurring.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Rainbow corruption of that type is most often caused by Intel Quick Sync (hardware acceleration) being used in Blue Iris. It is just one of the quirks we must live with or otherwise not use hardware acceleration. It has lately been a real menace at my parents.

manarius

n3wb
Reaction score
It seems like it's an issue with BlueIris. I checked the feed from the camera at the camera's IP and it's normal. Maybe I can switch to DirectX decode and that might fix it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Results may vary with DirectX decoding. When I tested that mode it provided no apparent advantage to anything so I believe it was just silently falling back to software decoding.

manarius

n3wb
Reaction score
Results may vary with DirectX decoding. When I tested that mode it provided no apparent advantage to anything so I believe it was just silently falling back to software decoding.
Any suggestions? I'm running an i7-3770 w/ no dedicated video card. I switched to Intel accelerated in order to keep CPU use down. I'm only running 4 cams, but still sit in the 10-20% CPU use.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is your FPS and Iframe values on the camera ? The Frame rate and Iframe values should be the same value and should be 15 or less.
Are your running this PC headless?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Frame rate and iframe intervals are both set in the camera, not in BI. Bi only "takes" what it is given from the camera.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

manarius

n3wb
Reaction score
Iframe is in the camera.
If it is headless, from amazon get something like

Also set the power management for the display to always on.

View attachment 62467
I changed those settings and i'll have to get some sort of dummy plug for display port because my desktop doesn't have HDMI.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think the dummy monitor plug will help. I used to get the rainbow corruption all the time on my system while its monitor was on. Although I will admit it might not have been the Intel GPU I was plugged in to.

Also my dad's system that has been flaring up this spring is headless .... so ... there might be something to that. I did set the graphics power plan on my dad's system a week or two ago and it didn't help.