Is this possible, advice please.

Newbuser

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been researching getting some IP Cams and just wanted to check what I want to do is possible please, my plan is...

Buy 3 IP cam with Sd. . Had found reolink 410s but then found this forum!

Wire into the attic and run Cat5e to room below into a powerline adapter POE switch, router downstairs.

This is the bit I'm unsure of : I then plan to only to record to SD. Get notifications from app for motion then watch live and review footage remotely.

Do understand the downs of SD only. And will one day budget permitting include NVR if required.

Is that possible or is that where an NVR comes in?

Now I just need a 4MP bullet cam with SD slot that I can trust! Easier said than done.

Thanks in advance!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been researching getting some IP Cams and just wanted to check what I want to do is possible please, my plan is...

Buy 3 IP cam with Sd. . Had found reolink 410s but then found this forum!

Wire into the attic and run Cat5e to room below into a powerline adapter POE switch, router downstairs.

This is the bit I'm unsure of : I then plan to only to record to SD. Get notifications from app for motion then watch live and review footage remotely.

Do understand the downs of SD only. And will one day budget permitting include NVR if required.

Is that possible or is that where an NVR comes in?

Now I just need a 4MP bullet cam with SD slot that I can trust! Easier said than done.

Thanks in advance!
The notifications from the camera will be extremely unreliable and you will get hundreds per day....you will go nuts trying to review the cams individually via sd...buy an nvr...or better yet, purchase a third generation i5-3570 pc for about 100 dollars or so and run a vms like blue iris (70) or milestone (free for up to 8 cameras)....

Newbuser

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the response .Understand your explanation. If I got a large enough SD card to cover a weeks footage and reviewed when / if required would that work? The setup I mean. At present the NVR isn't in budget but I could get the two IP Cams. I'm actually based in UK so apart from Amazon it's a bit of a mine field finding something decent! Are all Cams notifications unreliable then? 24/7 may be the way on NVR eventually

Again thanks for any help

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response .Understand your explanation. If I got a large enough SD card to cover a weeks footage and reviewed when / if required would that work? The setup I mean. At present the NVR isn't in budget but I could get the two IP Cams. I'm actually based in UK so apart from Amazon it's a bit of a mine field finding something decent! Are all Cams notifications unreliable then? 24/7 may be the way on NVR eventually

Again thanks for any help
ebay exists in the uk too..pretty sure...
the sd card is irrelevant to the alerts...
also avoid bullet cams...look at a turret design...see the dahua starlight turret thread.

Newbuser

n3wb
Reaction score
It certainly does. Im not sure how things go if I need to return etc on ebay . Somewhere like Amazon make that easy that's all! May I ask why avoid bullet design out of interest?

Thanks understand the SD card isn't needed for alerts but if (to begin with) I get no Dvr then an SD will help.

Do you recommend other Cams I see the dahua get a lot of recommends I'll check some ebay!