Is this quote good? From security camera company...

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My neighbor owns a security camera company and he quoted me the following for 2 ClearView cameras with ClearView NVR. I believe ClearView is made by Dahua.

2 cameras IPD-93A Dome
Specs: https://www.clearviewcctv.com/cutsheets/IPD-93A.pdf
  • 1/3" 4.0 Megapixel progressive scan CMOS
  • H.265+ & H.264+ dual-stream encoding
  • 30fps@4MP(2688x1520)
  • WDR(120dB), Day/Night(ICR), 3DNR, AWB, AGC, BLC
  • Multiple network monitoring: Web viewer, CMS(DSS/PSS) & DMSS
  • 2.7mm ~ 12mm motorized lens
  • 4x Optical Zoom
  • 165ft IR Range
  • Micro SD memory
  • IP67 - Weatherproof
  • IK10 - Vandalproof
  • PoE - Power Over Ethernet
1 NVR PhoenixPlus-08
Specs: https://www.clearviewcctv.com/cutsheets/PhoenixPlus-08.pdf
H.265

PRICE:
NVR $379
Cameras $319 x 2 = $638
Labor $250 (run 2 POE cables through walls/attic to cameras)
Shipping $30
Tax $70
Total: $1367

He said I can supply my own NVR/cameras if I want, and he'll still install them for just the $250 labor.

Thoughts? Is this a good deal and good cameras?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would let him run the cables for $250, and go buy your own stuff.

For less money, you can buy dahua starlight turrets, about $160 each on aliexpress.
Better cam for less money.

For NVR, either a dahua or PC with Blue Iris.

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you referring to the
IPC-HDW5231R-Z ?

That camera is only 2 MP...isn't the 4 MP one I posted better? 4 MP resolution is much better than 2 MP

Plus the 1 I posted is IK10 (vandal proof / can withstand an 11 lb rock being thrown at it from 15 feet away)

Last edited:

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Everything you could wish to know about it lol
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

BTW, problem with domes is the plastic dome can get messed up over time with exposure to sun. Also you can get glare off the dome.
I have one of the starlight turrets, although it is not installed yet. Tons of other guys have it too.

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmm. I don't understand why 2 MP would be better than 4 MP though? The street is 50-60 feet away, I'm not sure if 2 MP is good enough to read license plates?

Is there a better camera you can recommend than the Dahua Starlight you just linked that's in the $200-300 price range? Does a 3 MP or 4 MP with Starlight exist?

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm. I don't understand why 2 MP would be better than 4 MP though
In low light more pixels just means more noise and a less detailed image.

There's more to a good camera of any type (cctv, p&s, dslr, cell phone) than the number of megapixels. Lots of variables related to the lens and sensor that are harder to boil down into a single flashy number.

reading license plates requires a camera dedicated only to that purpose with lots of zoom and ir at night. You'll also have trouble if you don't have a good angle from the camera to passing cars.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm. I don't understand why 2 MP would be better than 4 MP though? The street is 50-60 feet away, I'm not sure if 2 MP is good enough to read license plates?

Is there a better camera you can recommend than the Dahua Starlight you just linked that's in the $200-300 price range? Does a 3 MP or 4 MP with Starlight exist?
I hope you weren't expecting to read license plates at 50+ feet distance with that dome because it's never going to happen.

Reaction score
These guys are absolutely correct. The Dahua Starlight cameras at 2 MP are unbelievably clear and precise, as opposed to non-Starlight 4 MP cameras, including Dahua's.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Stop chasing MP...you will not be able to read plates at 60f with a 4mp camera either 4mp does not provide double the pixels per foot as 2mp....you will not be able to read plates at night without a dedicated camera for plates..start reading and leaning before wasting your money.

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I like the 2 MP Starlight Dahua that was linked above.

What NVR should I get to go with it? Model # or link please?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Stop chasing MP...you will not be able to read plates at 60f with a 4mp camera either 4mp does not provide double the pixels per foot as 2mp....you will not be able to read plates at night without a dedicated camera for plates..start reading and leaning before wasting your money.
^^^^ This

Basically what I was about to write. I would have a combination of wider angle (3.6mm / 4mm) covering the area and a more zoomed in (6mm/8mm/12mm) one for a number plate.

You need to read more on here rather then hoping people will magic up the right answer without knowing the exact circumstances.

Tim Briggs

n3wb
Reaction score
Everything you could wish to know about it lol
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

BTW, problem with domes is the plastic dome can get messed up over time with exposure to sun. Also you can get glare off the dome.
I have one of the starlight turrets, although it is not installed yet. Tons of other guys have it too.

I'm glad I found this. I wanted the Starlight, but noticed this important notice. I'm in Phoenix, the camera would see the bright, hot sun most of the day. Is there a bullet style Dahua that would work as well withing the same price range. I'm not set on the Dahua, but based upon the many comments I would do well with one of these as the primary camera.
Thanks.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
1. The forum isn't a simple "Tell me what to do, then go away" type setup. This is for open communication and a support among the community.
2. You obviously haven't spent anytime here even trying to educate yourself or you wouldn't be going 100 MPH.
3. No, the above is a straight rip off. As mush as I complain about people here trying to get professional services for DIY pricing, the above quote isn't really a deal for what you are getting.
4. Find your own hardware and have him run the two lines for $250.
5. As fender noted "You are NOT going to read license plates" with these cameras. Learn to crawl before you try to run a full marathon.
- LPR takes a camera configured specifically for that task.
- Based on your current knowledge and skillset you are no where even close to being ready to try and tackle LPR setup.
6. Spend some freaking time reading through the forum - 30 min. invested would answer all your questions and provide you with a wealth of understanding of what hardware to get.
7. More isn't better when it comes to MP.
8. While two properly placed cameras are worth more than 8 poorly placed cameras I'm really confused why you would be trying to tackle LPR with one camera thus only leaving one camera remaining for "security".
9. Domes will work outside if properly placed under cover (recessed under an eve or on porch). However, if they get water spots on them you will have useless night images because the IR will blind the camera.
10. Your cost above isn't accurate either, I don't see anything about a hard drive anywhere as that NVR does not include one. So you'll be spending $1,500 for a 2 camera system...
11. You will not get IR to 165' with that camera... Cut that in half and you still won't ID. Remember DORI (Detect, Observe, Recognize, Identify)
12. Don't get hung up on "vandal proof" If someone is going to throw an 11lb block at your camera they intend to do what ever it takes to disable it. Turrets will give you a nice even night time IR image. If someone wants to disable a camera they will walk up to it, look at it, then do what they want. Also, a 99 cent can of spray paint can very quickly disable a dome quickly, silently, easily...

Educate yourself and this process will get easier.
Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs
Camera megapixels: Why more isn't always better (Smartphones Unlocked)
Dedicated License Plate Cam project

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm glad I found this. I wanted the Starlight, but noticed this important notice. I'm in Phoenix, the camera would see the bright, hot sun most of the day. Is there a bullet style Dahua that would work as well withing the same price range. I'm not set on the Dahua, but based upon the many comments I would do well with one of these as the primary camera.
Thanks.
A turret is different from a dome.
Dome has a plastic dome covering the camera lens, follow specs link in first post.

Randy

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you everybody.

I've decided to get 2 of the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

With the PFB203W Wall mount, and a PFA136/PFA137 (I'm not sure which is the correct one.) The Dahua Selection Chart says PFA136. But in the discussion thread, most people are talking about the PFA137.

Still trying to decide on NVR, maybe the Dahua NVR5231

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Get a PFA137. I had to buy a few M4 screws too, but it fits perfectly.

Also, you really should get the cameras, get them working (you will need a NVR or a POE injector) mount them on a 2x4 or similar, and put them where you are considering installing them. See how it looks during the day, and at night. Walk by, and see how you look. Do this BEFORE you have the guy drill holes and pull wire.
After seeing how things really look though the cameras, you may want to tweak their positions. Some mistakes are putting them too high (bad for facial recognition), or too close to overhangs (get IR reflection at night which messes up exposure).

Randy