Is this switch suitable for x6 poe cameras and 2 ubiquiti AP's?

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi:)

Plan is to eventually run up to 6 poe ip cameras, plus I've now also discovered the ubiquiti AP's.

Is the switch below compatible? Or is there another switch that is more suited/cost effective?
TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch including 8-Port PoE TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch including 8-Port PoE: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I'm thinking I'm theoretically I'm future proofing myself

My other option is purchase a cheaper 4 port poe switch now, then purchase another when I actually require it.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which Ubiquiti AP's? Some run on passive 24v.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It will not work, those APs run on 24v passive and not 802.3 compliant.

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah ok, so they would need to run from their own power supplies?

Nothings easy! I'll take a read

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes but the adapter is included so you dont necessarily have to power it from the switch.

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But I'd need to run the adapter from the socket then though. I was hoping to have it in the middle of the ceiling:-/

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But I'd need to run the adapter from the socket then though. I was hoping to have it in the middle of the ceiling:-/
You can plug it in by your router/switch, then just run the cat5 from adapter to the AP in the ceiling.

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Gotcha! Thanks for explaining that now makes sense.

I was envisaging having to need to plug in next to the ap itself for some reason.

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with using x2 4 port poe switches? Apart from it taking a further port on the router?

I could get x2 4 port switches for less than the cost of the 8 port above.

This could then allow me to get 4 cameras up and running then the further 2 when funds allow.

Or is it recommended/less hassle to have them all running through the same switch?

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You most likely wont have a problem with two switches but if you have to plug one switch into the other you will be limited by the bandwidth of that port. If you are just connecting three cameras to one switch that should be fine. If they were high bandwidth devices then you can run into problems.

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I can only plug 3 cams into a 4 port poe switch?

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Correct. The 4th port will be used to connect to the other switch or router etc

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry i mean an 8 port switch with x4 poe.

With that setup I could run 4 cameras via the poe ports, then connect the switch via one of the non poe ports right?

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That looks like the older model which supports 2.4GHz only. I bought two of them back when the only option for 5GHz was the pro at 3x the price, but now I have switched out with the UniFI AP AC LITE, which is now at the same price I originally paid for the UAPs.

Though with the new AP AC, you still need the PRO if you don't want passive PoE.