TropDayz

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m just now starting to put together my Blue Iris system and I’m searching for a computer to be used for solely this purpose.

Fenderman has kindly provided me guidance in what to look for so my search is on.

I’m looking for an Elitedesk / Optiplex / Prodesk i5-8500 or better with a minimum of 8GB RAM.

Based on what I have read here it seems it makes sense to have a SSD for speed and a WD Purple for storage.

Since I am just getting started my goal is to find a computer I can grow into without having to upgrade because I have maxed it out with number of camera, frame rate, resolution.

Based on all I’ve read power consumption becomes a real concern. I’m unclear how these computers compare to each other in that regard.

I am currently searching eBay and refurb outlets but I‘ve noticed how helpful the members here can be in finding the best deals on machines ideal for BI.

My budget for the computer is around $400.

I really appreciate anyone’s help or input.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
is there a specific reason you are looking for an 8th gen i5 for your rig? from what i could tell for most home setups 5th gen or better should be sufficient, and right now the price-to performance sweet spot on ebay seems to be 5th gen with noticeable bumps in price at 6th gen and higher.

Also for your computer budget are you including the cost of a powered Ethernet switch?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
is there a specific reason you are looking for an 8th gen i5 for your rig? from what i could tell for most home setups 5th gen or better should be sufficient, and right now the price-to performance sweet spot on ebay seems to be 5th gen with noticeable bumps in price at 6th gen and higher.

Also for your computer budget are you including the cost of a powered Ethernet switch?
The eight gen i5 is much faster than all previous generations i5's. It gives you lots of headroom. 6th gen and up also supports h265 hardware acceleration. You also dont know what his load is or how he wants to setup the system.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The most import thing in picking a processor is to determine your MP/sec. The newer processors support h.265 compression. I woul go for 16 GB of memory in two stick or 4 sticks.

For what current systems are running see..... A lot of system have different CPU loads depending on the type of motion detection and other feature.

TropDayz

n3wb
Reaction score
I really appreciate the input.

Since this is the first step in my building my system I’ve yet to determine MB/s requiremenets but would rather cover myself with more computing power than I need and grow into it than frustrate myself by growing out and having to replace this key part of the system.

The $400 is for only the computer and not an absolute number but rather an approximate aim. I will be adding switches, cabling and cameras, etc over the coming months.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I woul go for 16 GB of memory in two stick or 4 sticks.
Good shout specifying to break the sticks up into 2 or 4. a lot of people don't realize the benefits of multi-channel memory.
5th gen Intel did not happen on a large scale. Don't bother looking for CPUs based on that.
I was speaking more of a range. When i did my shopping i started at 5th gen and checked the boxes for 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th to cover all my bases.

i did misspeak about the sweet spot. 6th gen appears to be the actual sweetspot, right now, and i was conflating my recent searches with the ones i did around january.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Thoughts?
i actually bought that same exact model off ebay earlier this week for 143.54 (which included the paid shipping). Mine lacked a hard drive but honestly unless it was an SSD i would have tossed it anyway.

With that said i just got it in the mail yesterday and havent messed with it, but the specs, IMO, are a good starting point. My suggestion is use those specs and see if you can price hunt for a cheaper unit. Generally the HP and Dell office stations all have the same specs each generation.

but i am new to all of this so while you browse, you should wait to see if one of the more established forum member has any other suggestions

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I really appreciate the input.

Since this is the first step in my building my system I’ve yet to determine MB/s requiremenets but would rather cover myself with more computing power than I need and grow into it than frustrate myself by growing out and having to replace this key part of the system.

The $400 is for only the computer and not an absolute number but rather an approximate aim. I will be adding switches, cabling and cameras, etc over the coming months.
I can tell you this...as of today, I have the i7-3770 Optiplex running 6-Five Megapixel and 2- Two Megapixel Camera's (Dahua/Amcrest/Jidetech), and with some learning from you guys, I have a Network activity of 32-33 Mbps, and a Cpu @ 31-39%. Blue iris has at times become a bit slow to draw the Calendar, and the transitions from live view to recorded image view have slowed a bit. with 4Cams it was nimble. Now I'm thinkin maybe I'd go 8th Gen on my next box, with what Fenderman is saying about that chip.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Seriously, just get a Intel NUC 9th/10th gen like I did. It's a fabulous system, and incredibly compact.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
NUCs are not great for Blue Iris though. They cost much more than comparably specced desktop PCs and have no room for even one 3.5" internal hard drive.

As an example, this i7-10710U NUC would perform about as well for Blue Iris as a refurbished i7-6700 that has room for hard drives and costs a third as much.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
NUCs are not great for Blue Iris though. They cost much more than comparably specced desktop PCs and have no room for even one 3.5" internal hard drive.

As an example, this i7-10710U NUC would perform about as well for Blue Iris as a refurbished i7-6700 that has room for hard drives and costs a third as much.
You're right. It's certainly not cheap. It has it's own market.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TropDayz

n3wb
Reaction score
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF Intel Core i5-6500 3.20GHz CPU 16GB DDR4 Ram SSD + HDD Storage DVD Writer Small Towner PC

Upgraded, fully functional. Power cable included.

Windows 10 Pro installed
Intel Core i5-6500 Processor (3.20 GHz Base Frequency, 6M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
16GB DDR4 (2X8GB) Desktop Memory
120GB or 240GB SSD Boot Device (buyer's choice)
320GB WD Blue HDD Extra Storage
Gigabit Ethernet controller
Integrated Intel HD Graphics 530
DVD Burner/Writer
Power cable included

240 GB SD

4 TB WD Purple

$450 including shipping...

Thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF Intel Core i5-6500 3.20GHz CPU 16GB DDR4 Ram SSD + HDD Storage DVD Writer Small Towner PC

Upgraded, fully functional. Power cable included.

Windows 10 Pro installed
Intel Core i5-6500 Processor (3.20 GHz Base Frequency, 6M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
16GB DDR4 (2X8GB) Desktop Memory
120GB or 240GB SSD Boot Device (buyer's choice)
320GB WD Blue HDD Extra Storage
Gigabit Ethernet controller
Integrated Intel HD Graphics 530
DVD Burner/Writer
Power cable included

240 GB SD

4 TB WD Purple

$450 including shipping...

Thoughts?
That is a horrific price. That is an under 200 dollar system all say long on ebay. You can but a much more powerful elitedesk or prodesk i5-8500 for under 400. Check ebay.

TropDayz

n3wb
Reaction score
FOLLOW UP:
After Fenderman’s suggestion I made an offer on the above computer and got it for $300 + $20.28 shipping

It currently only has 8GB of RAM any thoughts as to whether I should change that to 16GB or just let it ride for now?

I will be adding a WD Purple drive to it when it arrives. In terms of price it looks like the 4TB makes the most sense at around $100. Thoughts?

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all of the feedback I’ve received here and help I’ve had getting started learning about all this since joining IPCT last month. I’m excited to get the computer, set it up and finally explore Blue Iris.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My old box is running 16 Gb on a 4 core chip. today with 8 cams, BI is consuming roughly 2.65 to 3.4 gigs of ram. you got 6 cores and Ddr 4. probably good enough to get started.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@TropDayz 8 is fine to start with. If you get above about 80% RAM utilization then it might be a good idea to upgrade it.

Just make sure the RAM is in a dual channel configuration (which requires at least two sticks of RAM to be in the correct slots). I believe this is the hardware manual for EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF, and the pages detailing RAM configuration are page 13, 14, 15. As an example if you have two RAM sticks of equal capacity, they should be in the two white slots.