ISP changed my external IP on me. How to have BI notify me when that happens?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I was away from home for a month, and got somewhat worried when i could no longer reach my BI server after a couple weeks. Turns out my ISP changed my external IP address on me (hadn't changed in 5+ years prior.)

Anyway, I see BI (under options/web server) has settings to 'refresh external IP every X minutes' and it can log that change to a file when detected, but I don't see any (obvious) way to have it send me an email when that happens so I can adjust my external connection parameters (in phone app and/or web UI URL)

Any ideas? or shall I ask Ken to add such a feature?

(of course, I could use some sort of Dynamic DNS service, but given how infrequently my IP changes, not sure its worth the cost/effort...)

Thanx, Paul.

Last edited:

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was away from home for a month, and got somewhat worried when i could no longer reach my BI server after a couple weeks. Turns out my ISP changed my external IP address on me (hadn't changed in 5+ years prior.)

Anyway, I see BI (under options/web server) has settings to 'refresh external IP every X minutes' and it can log that change to a file when detected, but I don't see any (obvious) way to have it send me an email when that happens so I can adjust my external connection parameters (in phone app and/or web UI URL)

Any ideas? or shall I ask Ken to add such a feature?

(of course, I could use some sort of Dynamic DNS service, but given how infrequently my IP changes, not sure its worth the cost/effort...)

Thanx, Paul.
noip is free, and generally most routers can update it for up. Effort is minimal IMO.

morrisky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The iOS app has a 'Get IPs' button that can retrieve the IPs based on the first and last 5 digits of your Blue Iris license.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
morrisky - I only have the Android App, but either way, i don't see how that could work if you are remote and don't know your external IP. seems like you need a connection to BI for it to tell you that...

looney2ns - if it's an available feature, how do i set it up, please? like i mentioned, i didn't see any way to set up 'email me when my ip changes'. so if i've missed that in the GUI, please enlighten me. thanx.

GuiBou

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
morrisky - I only have the Android App, but either way, i don't see how that could work if you are remote and don't know your external IP. seems like you need a connection to BI for it to tell you that...

looney2ns - if it's an available feature, how do i set it up, please? like i mentioned, i didn't see any way to set up 'email me when my ip changes'. so if i've missed that in the GUI, please enlighten me. thanx.
For Blue Iris I think that if it can send you notifications, it knows how to reach you! :)

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go to BI options>About tab.
Make note of the first and last 5 digits of your license key.
Be sure "Register Ip Address to assist apps" is checked.

Go to Webserver tab.
Make sure "Refresh External IP ......" is checked. Set the number of minutes you want it to check.

Click OK.

Hint: While on each tab, click the help button for more info.

In your BI Android app.
On the first screen, select Edit for the server you want to connect.
At the top of the screen, enter the digits you made note of above.

Click the Get IPS button.

Click the Update BI button.
Finished.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

blue iris has its own quasi ddns service....in the app you enter the part of your registration code...
or just use ddns services....there are also many apps that will notify you of a change in ip, google..

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
ok, thanx. I wasn't aware that worked that way (using some database on BI's backend).
I'll be sure to keep my reg id handy for the next time my ip shifts. thanks for the clarification, guys!