iSpy jpeg stream works; ffmpeg stream doesn't

shamarion

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to access an IP camera. I can access it with no problem by setting it up for JPEG using http://user:password@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/tmpfs/auto.jpg

I've also been successful in setting it for FFMPEG as a separate camera using rtsp://user:password@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/11, but the connection is not consistent and it drops frequently (even though the JPEG stream continues to work fine).

Does anyone have any suggestions (I'm a newbie)?
TIA

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Jpeg streams are inherently simpler and less error-prone. Any number of problems can arise from the use of an RTSP stream, usually caused by either a crappy camera or an unreliable network (wifi, bad network cable, etc).

DomEx

n3wb
Reaction score
I think i am having a similer problem, my camera works , but i am getting huge amounts of false positive readings

The image appeats to sharpen itself over 10 seconds to the point of blury pixels then when it snaps back to the key frame , the resulting change is picked up by motion sensors

It was only a cheap camera i am looking at replacing it with a sub£40 odel thats less error prone

I am using rtsp stream but want to try jpg but have no idea how to set it up
Cam came with no manual and a generic brand of IPCAM

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think i am having a similer problem, my camera works , but i am getting huge amounts of false positive readings

The image appeats to sharpen itself over 10 seconds to the point of blury pixels then when it snaps back to the key frame , the resulting change is picked up by motion sensors

It was only a cheap camera i am looking at replacing it with a sub£40 odel thats less error prone

I am using rtsp stream but want to try jpg but have no idea how to set it up
Cam came with no manual and a generic brand of IPCAM
lower the iframe interval if the camera settings allow

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a sadly common problem with IP cams. Basically they aren't tuning their encoders ideally and as a result, keyframes cause a sudden quality change. Increasing the bit rate is your best bet. Shortening the keyframe interval may only make the effect happen more often. Updated firmware may also help, or it may make the problem worse. More likely it would not have any effect at all.

What isn't common is for a motion detection algorithm to be triggered by the keyframes. Either your motion detection is way too sensitive or the quality shift at keyframe boundaries is unusually strong.