Issue with Hik Turret cameras in cold weather

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a 2 Hik 4MP turrets that are having issues in the 20 degree temperatures. One shut down completely until it warmed back up into the 30's. The other the video keeps dropping every few minutes. Power cycle did not correct issue. Only increased temperature resolved the problem. Anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

D

Midrar

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m in Michigan where we have had 3 weeks of below zero temps and not a single problem with my 4K turrets.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've had one of my turrets STB in the Arctic temperatures we've been experiencing here in New England over the past 10 days. Brought it inside and it came back to life, but only after a hard-reset.

limeni

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 8 turrets in New England weather without a problem, one is even mounted in a freezer where its always 0 - -10

CyberGuyPR

n3wb
Reaction score
I am seeing the exact same issue with the only DS-2CD3345-I I have outside. I recently got a second camera I intend to deploy outside in the driveway and will be on the lookout for this problem.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I put the aforementioned turret back outside yesterday. Ran fine for a few hours, this morning, is dead again. Doesn't show up on SADP at all. Going to pull it down again tonight for surgery.

Reaction score
I have a 2 Hik 4MP turrets that are having issues in the 20 degree temperatures. One shut down completely until it warmed back up into the 30's. The other the video keeps dropping every few minutes. Power cycle did not correct issue. Only increased temperature resolved the problem. Anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

D
Hi hook3m

I've been having problems for the past month with two of my cameras (4MP turrets: Hikvision DS-2CD2085FWD-I ). They both worked fine connected indoors for about 10 days for testing - and then once they were installed outdoors, one worked OK for just 6 hours and then power cycled every 30 seconds or so. After disconnecting and bringing it back indoors and left disconnected for 3 days, it then briefly worked for 3 hours before failing completely (no power up). I have had this unit replaced and installed the new one outside with a new cable (just in case) - and so far it has worked fine for the last 8 hours.

The second camera was installed outside at the same time and worked fine for 5 days and then started power cycling in the same manner. I brought it indoors and it worked fine for 7 days, whereupon I installed it outdoors again with a new RJ45 connector on the cable run to it (in case that was the problem). After just 3 hours it started with the same power cycle problem. So the next day, I installed a brand new cable and then after 5 hours, the bloody thing failed again!

I had assumed that it was cabling problems (and perhaps a faulty first camera) - but now that the second camera has failed in the same manner, I have tried to think of what the hell else it could be, which got me thinking about temperature (it's about 0C / 32F here in England). A quick Google search found your problem at the top of the list.

Did you resolve it - and was it faulty cameras susceptible to a drop in temperature?

I have four other Hikvision cameras all installed outside with no problems (different models).

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi hook3m

I've been having problems for the past month with two of my cameras (4MP turrets: Hikvision DS-2CD2085FWD-I ). They both worked fine connected indoors for about 10 days for testing - and then once they were installed outdoors, one worked OK for just 6 hours and then power cycled every 30 seconds or so. After disconnecting and bringing it back indoors and left disconnected for 3 days, it then briefly worked for 3 hours before failing completely (no power up). I have had this unit replaced and installed the new one outside with a new cable (just in case) - and so far it has worked fine for the last 8 hours.

The second camera was installed outside at the same time and worked fine for 5 days and then started power cycling in the same manner. I brought it indoors and it worked fine for 7 days, whereupon I installed it outdoors again with a new RJ45 connector on the cable run to it (in case that was the problem). After just 3 hours it started with the same power cycle problem. So the next day, I installed a brand new cable and then after 5 hours, the bloody thing failed again!

I had assumed that it was cabling problems (and perhaps a faulty first camera) - but now that the second camera has failed in the same manner, I have tried to think of what the hell else it could be, which got me thinking about temperature (it's about 0C / 32F here in England). A quick Google search found your problem at the top of the list.

Did you resolve it - and was it faulty cameras susceptible to a drop in temperature?

I have four other Hikvision cameras all installed outside with no problems (different models).

Thanks.
32f is not a problem for these cams....you have a cable or power issue...how are you powering? did you wire the cable to the 568B standard?

Reaction score
That was my initial thought - so I brought the cameras back indoors and connnected them to new cables and they then worked fine. Taking them outside they failed again after a few hours (continous power cycling) - so I installed new connectors. Again a failure, so I finally ran new pre-connected cables (which I had tested first). All the cameras are powered from the same PoE switch with no problems. The first time they failed outside, I thought that there was a water ingress problem with the connectors, so replaced them and inserted them into a waterproof Hikvision junction box. The final time they failed outside. the weather was bone dry but still cold (32f).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That was my initial thought - so I brought the cameras back indoors and connnected them to new cables and they then worked fine. Taking them outside they failed again after a few hours (continous power cycling) - so I installed new connectors. Again a failure, so I finally ran new pre-connected cables (which I had tested first). All the cameras are powered from the same PoE switch with no problems. The first time they failed outside, I thought that there was a water ingress problem with the connectors, so replaced them and inserted them into a waterproof Hikvision junction box. The final time they failed outside. the weather was bone dry but still cold (32f).
It's not the camera...it's something on your end..
How long is the cable run?
What model Poe switch...
What exact cable?
Did you use the 568 standard the first time?
Did you water proof the connectors at all the first time?
How did you replace the connectors?

Reaction score
Hi fenderman, thanks for responding so quickly.
The cables runs are both exactly 25m, using pre-made Cat6 leads (which are actually wired to T568B). I have now tried two different sets of leads (different makes). I initially taped the RJ45 plug and camera socket connectors at the camera end (only intended as a temporary measure), but when the first camera went wrong almost straight away, I assumed that moisture had got in, so I chopped off the RJ45 plug, properly threaded it through the gland into the junction box, fitted the Hikvision waterproof connector and a new RJ45 plug. The camera still failed after a few hours even though the weather was dry. One camera died completely and has now been replaced under warranty and has so far worked fine outside for the past two days. The other camera is still failing outside, even though it has worked fine indoors for the past two weeks or so - connected to exactly the same PoE switch (a NETGEAR (JGS524PE-100EUS ProSAFE 24 Port Web Managed Plus Gigabit Ethernet Switch with 12 port PoE).

I admit it is a bit of a mystery, and via a process of elimination, I have concluded that it must be a faulty pair of cameras that only fail when they get cold.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My 4mp turret STB again in the 7 degree weather we had here a few days ago. I have to go out tonight and see if I can recover it with a power cycle, its not responding at all now. I may just end up replacing it with another camera entirely, since dragging ladders through snow and mud is getting old.