Issues with Fedex Shipping and Customs?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone else seeing issues with Fedex and Customs? Ordered a cam from Andy and it hit the Memphis Hub on Saturday and hasn't moved since. I called today and they stated that it didn't pass customs yet because there was not enough information on the package to allow it to be released. They were asking for the brand of camera and specs on the camera. I basically told them that I didn't know all the answers on specs and acted more like a confused consumer just looking to get their package delivered but gave them my cell phone number which they needed for some reason.

I never experienced anything like this with DHL when ordering from Andy. Has anyone else?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I just found it weird that US Customs wanted "more info" on what type of camera was in the package.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone else seeing issues with Fedex and Customs? Ordered a cam from Andy and it hit the Memphis Hub on Saturday and hasn't moved since. I called today and they stated that it didn't pass customs yet because there was not enough information on the package to allow it to be released. They were asking for the brand of camera and specs on the camera. I basically told them that I didn't know all the answers on specs and acted more like a confused consumer just looking to get their package delivered but gave them my cell phone number which they needed for some reason.

I never experienced anything like this with DHL when ordering from Andy. Has anyone else?

If they call you back, just tell them you ordered a camera for your computer which is pretty much the truth anyway since you need a computer to set it up. If they wanted to get more specific then tell them it a weather monitoring camera again which is the truth because you can use it monitor the weather ...

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
If they call you back, just tell them you ordered a camera for your computer which is pretty much the truth anyway since you need a computer to set it up. If they wanted to get more specific then tell them it a weather monitoring camera again which is the truth because you can use it monitor the weather ...
That's good advice. I told them it was a 4MP webcam. That did seem to make them happy. Fingers crossed.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
That's good advice. I told them it was a 4MP webcam. That did seem to make them happy. Fingers crossed.
yeah that the thing ..

There are probably more custom agent that are younger generation working now days and they may know what a web cam supposed to look like so if the dossier say "web cam" which most vendors put down on and they see the size of the camera in xray machine which would be like 10x bigger than a standard web cam. It would make them suspicious about it and want more information.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
FedEx called back once but didn't really ask me anything - just let me know that its status is "still in Customs". If they call back, I tell them it's a weather cam.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
FedEx called back once but didn't really ask me anything - just let me know that its status is "still in Customs". If they call back, I tell them it's a weather cam.
I would still choose your wording wisely, vendors put down web cam to get around vat or tariff. Maybe use "still digital camera" since it there is no tariff for those ..

Most of us know that a web cam today should be smaller in size compare what was 5 years ago, not a 4" softball size :p

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I would still choose your wording wisely, vendors put down web cam to get around vat or tariff. Maybe use "still digital camera" since it there is no tariff for those ..

Most of us know that a web cam today should be smaller in size compare what was 5 years ago, not a 4" softball size :p
Got it - thank you for the advice!

Reaction score
Every packing list that I got from Andy has stated Model = Web Camera and Description = for private using. Every cam I got from him came from Hong Kong and was shipped by DHL except for the last one back in July which was FedEx and came in less than two days. That packing list said the same thing.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Every packing list that I got from Andy has stated Model = Web Camera and Description = for private using. Every cam I got from him came from Hong Kong and was shipped by DHL except for the last one back in July which was FedEx and came in less than two days. That packing list said the same thing.
Same with me and my orders with Andy. This is the first time I’ve ever been asked by FedEx (or anyone else) about what type of camera is in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Same with me and my orders with Andy. This is the first time I’ve ever been asked by FedEx (or anyone else) about what type of camera is in the box.

As long you don't say security camera or IP camera.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All of my orders cleared customs in Hong Kong. I wonder if that has changed. So now these guys that never had to deal with these small shipments do not know what to do.
Yes, I think this makes a lot of sense... Hong Kong to be treated as PRC China now -> resulting in confusion w/regards to shipping / customs.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I think this makes a lot of sense... Hong Kong to be treated as PRC China now -> resulting in confusion w/regards to shipping / customs.
I asked that of FedEx international support and they stated that it wasn't due to the package origin being China. They stated the same questions would be asked regardless of the country. Somehow, I just don't believe them :)

Reaction score
When I would get cams from Andy, I always followed the progress on the DHL website. I always saw that the custom clearance happened while the package was still in Hong Kong (but it was another city name, can't remember the name). I think that they had US Customs people there to do clearance. None of them were ever opened.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Day 2 - supposedly cleared customs late yesterday. Still no update on the tracking page since the clearance entry. Called FedEx and they opened a case. Sounds like they lost my package :(

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
A little off subject. I ordered a 'mini pc' through AliExpress. (It has 6 network ports and I am going to use it as a box for a pfSense router). I ended up paying $55 for DHL shipping and then afterwards they said I was responsible for any customs fees? Anyone have an idea how much I am looking at - the pc was approx. $350 with shipping, How do you pay custom fees?

Also, in looking at DHL Tracking, it looks like they are shipping it to France (I am in S Cal), is that normal or did this get screwed up?

This is the min-pc, about $200 cheaper than the Protectli 6 port vault

Yanling

Protectli

DHL.jpg

Last edited: