Issues with Hikvision Web client using Safari on a Mac

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't know how many Mac users there are here, but I came across an issue reported to me, so I thought I would let you know and see if anyone has overcome this or at least give you one option that works for me.

When use Webcomponents option on Safari on a Mac, with the V5.0 Firmware Version and V4.0 Encoding Version, all works well, smooth video on LAN or WAN (given enough bandwidth). If you have a frame rate issue with Mac and V5.1, going to V5.0 will fix this.

When you install 5.1.x, it upgrades the Encoding Version to V5. This gives you other choices in the dropdown like Quicktime. With Webcomponents option (default) on a Mac, you get about 1 FPS, or very choppy video on LAN or WAN. Does not affect recordings, just via the web browser. Switch to Quicktime and on the LAN it works fine with fluid video on LAN but on the WAN no video. Seems like a port forward issue, but actually works fine on Windows, so something in the Quicktime setup on a Mac.

Here's where it gets weird. If I log into the Hikvision demo camera they provided for this testing, it has V5.1 of the firmware and V4.0 Encoding, don't even know how to get that because if I installed V5.1 over V5.0 it also installed V5 Encoding. With this combo, I can pick Quicktime or Webcompents and both work fine with fluid video on Webcomponents or Quicktime over the WAN.