It was good for a week, now "no signal"

Reaction score
Well, I just purchased BI and was happy. Now..hmm a bit frustrated.

I am running a Zmodo WiFi 720P camera. I have a WiFi extender. The wifi signal is good and I can see live video directly from logging into the camera. Everything was working great until about 3 hours ago. My external IP is the same. I checked connections to the BI computer, (Physically connected to network via switch) I exported the settings, deleted the camera and put the setting back manually. I also deleted the manually added camera and re-imported the settings that were working.

I am getting a "No Signal" no IP error message on the screen. Rebooted everything, router, modem, switch, WiFi extender. Everything is online and all numbers are the same. I started with the latest version of BI, so no upgrade took place.

What can/should I be looking at? I don't want to try another software, I like BI and its features. Can anyone help a new guy out?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you reboot the pc as well? Did the signal stop after any change was made? Have you tried rebooting the cam?
Double check the cams ip address, username and password...

Reaction score
Huh interesting..I just changed the camera password from its default to my own password and I have video!! Thanks fenderman!

Reaction score
One thing however, my BI computer did report a "No signal" again..on the screen..but then it went back online after a few mins..what could cause it to do that? This is a wifi camera, maybe the wifi signal fluctuating?

Reaction score
Just an idea, since I am still working on this, and I don't mean to flood this thread. I changed the cameras FPS to the same as BI..that made the video come back. Do those settings have to be the same? Could not having the same FPS set on the camera and BI cause "no signal" just thinking...maybe this little tid bit can help someone else out..

Reaction score
Hmm every time I think I fixed it, it goes back to "No Signal" again.. :-( so I am at "No Signal" again...

Reaction score
Alright, I know that I am answering my own questions here..however maybe someone will have the same problem as I have... I have the Zmodo ZP-IBI13-W 720P network camera. It is connected wireless. The signal is 69%. What did was lower the FPS on the camera and on the BI software. I matched the FPS. I was running at 25FPS on both the BI software and camera. Now I am down to 15FPS on both. I have a signal again!! woo. Hope it will be stable and robust. ;-)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You initial issue was the password. On some cameras even if you change the password on the cam, if blue iris is getting a stream the password change will not interupt it...however once the stream breaks then blue iris could no longer long in...(as an aside, if you are not port forwarding the cams, there is no reason to really change the password on them)...you can set blue iris to detect signal loss quicker by going to the watchdog tab in the camera properties...

Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks again fenderman ;-) I noticed that with the camera password, it worked with a wrong password in there. Now I know the reason! The fps rate was what I think was the main deal that would not make things work well.. I set up watchdog, I like that feature very much. I will run this BI computer today and see how it works at detecting motion etc.. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Well BI lost the signal again, I was running 15fps on BI and the camera. I now dropped it to 10fps on both the camera and BI...I am using the Zmodo ZP-IBI13-W 720P network camera (incase anyone else has that camera)...I think 10fps is the magic number..its been running last late afternoon till the early morning without any interruptions just an FYI to anyone owning the same camera as mine. FPS seems to make a difference in "No signal" and signal... ;-)