items to buy along with cameras

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have settled on buying a couple IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras from Andy and adding more in the future.
The cameras should be here sometime next week and I want to get all of my supplies in order for testing when they arrive. I plan to buy enough supplies to eventually set up 4-5 cameras. here is my list and I would appreciate input on the items that may not be the best of choices.
1. monoprice cat 6 cable Monoprice Cat6 Ethernet Bulk Cable - Solid, 550Mhz, UTP, CMR, Riser Rated, Pure Bare Copper Wire, 23AWG, 1000ft, Blue - Monoprice.com
2. poe switch. this one says the style is long range which Im not sure about. I only read about
managed and unmanaged and im not really sure which I need.
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Gigabit-Switching-Capacity-TPE-TG50g/dp/B074PXNRFH/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1499444420&sr=1-

3. for now I am going to use my computer and eventually get a dedicated computer to run the cameras.
I have posted the specs on my current computer below this list.
4. Blue Iris ( Amazon has it for $45 though I am not sure which version I need?)
5. I have some gear to install the cable and will buy anything else that is needed.

computer specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Manufacturer ASUS
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1602, 10/29/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 24.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 23.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 15.1 GB
Total Virtual Memory 27.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 17.3 GB
Page File Space 3.50 GB

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Regarding the switch: if you EVER plan to go for vlans, you'll need a managed switch, period. If not, unmanaged will be fine (and costs less).
Make sure you make room for an OpenVPN instance (eg on your router, or on BI server).

Hope this helps!
CC

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you explain what vlans and an openvpn instance are. Sorry, i'm really not very familiar with anything related to networking

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
openVPN is a software package that can be run from your router,phone,tables,computers. Most Asus routers supports this. The VPN is a virtual private network. It allows for you to access your home network security while out in public. It will allow for you to access your NVR or BlueIris from your phone.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you explain what vlans and an openvpn instance are. Sorry, i'm really not very familiar with anything related to networking
Hi, I sincerely hope you read a bit about these network concepts (google is your friend), and prepare yourself for the IPC world (see the great Cliff Notes) - simply to protect yourself from having to repair & fix from mistakes ample people before you have done over and over again. Study well and thén buy stuff.

Hope this helps!
CC

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanations. I have read through the cliff notes a few times and ive gotten blue iris and have been reading about that as well. For some reason I just really struggle to understand how networking operates and all of the different terms. My cameras should be here Wed of next week and I believe all I have left is to choose a switch. I am going to search for another switch that is "managed" and will post the one that I find.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
How is this switch for 4-5 cameras?
BV-Tech 8 Gigabit PoE/PoE+ Ports Switch - Plug and Play- 19" Rackmount - 130W - 802.3af/at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6DL2FS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_FvShCb8M7Z6S2
Hello @GKyle840 apart from the high power consumption (yet required for the POE standards), this is not a managed switch!

So before hopping into the next amazon shop, draw your complete network diagram. Outline your requirements. Do you need "high end" gear (with vlans, layer 2/3 routing/switching) or "basic" stuff. There is nothing wrong with unmanaged switches, do not misunderstand me here. It can perfectly fit your requirements. However, it's a $97 sunk cost if you have to drop it. Without your full network diagram, we cannot formulate any useful advice. Like I previously said: you CAN plug your aforementionned switch (which is unmanaged) in a (downstream) managed switch, rendering all your cams into a specific vlan without having to look for a "managed POE switch". However, you have to buy already two devices. Again, all depends on how many network ports (of which POE), including for your NVR, pc, NAS, TV gear, playstations, doorbells, printers etc etc. I've seen houses with more than 5 switches. Go figure where the bottleneck is.

Hope this helps!
CC

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I tried to draw everything out and the only requirements I really have are enough ports to run 5 of these cameras and possibly a 6th at some point down the road, maybe even a nicer camera as the 6th. I dont have anything else to my knowledge that I would run off of the switch. I do have a receiver that I could plug into it but it works perfectly fine in my router as it is right now. I dont have any playstations, doorbells or printers that I would want to plug into these.
I think this switch may be what I am looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Unmanaged-Rackmount-Lifetime-TL-SG1016PE/dp/B0721V1TGV

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score

MrMotofy

n3wb
Reaction score
Many of the newer cams are using more power. I would suggest the next POE standard of PoE+ or 802.3at. 30w per port.

MrMotofy

n3wb
Reaction score
It's not incorrect then, by your own statement. If buying a switch it makes sense to buy the latest standard if reasonable. Set yourself up for your next upgrade since virtually everyone of us starts cheap and small then keep upgrading. As well as having a higher overall power capability running at a lower output should theoretically help it last longer. Especially with more consumer grade gear. But it's just an opinion every user has the choice of which to purchase.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not incorrect then, by your own statement. If buying a switch it makes sense to buy the latest standard if reasonable. Set yourself up for your next upgrade since virtually everyone of us starts cheap and small then keep upgrading. As well as having a higher overall power capability running at a lower output should theoretically help it last longer. Especially with more consumer grade gear. But it's just an opinion every user has the choice of which to purchase.
IT IS INCORRECT!
Your reading comprehension is deficient. It seems that you just decided to commit a drive by vomit attack on this forum and are clueless about this technology. Just a bunch of posts with misinformation.
Your statement was "Many of the newer cams are using more power". This is FALSE. The newer cams actually use LESS power. It is only specific PTZ cameras that have ALWAYS required more power due to their motors and high power irs as well as heaters in some.
There is NO point in buying a poe+ switch simply because of the higher power output. I have installed hundreds of ip cameras. I have yet to need poe+. It is complete NONSENSE to claim that higher overall power capability running at lower power will help the switch last longer. First of all POE+ does not have any bearing on the TOTAL power output of the switch. There are 8 port poe+ switches that have 70w outputs. They cannot run all ports at full power. Second there is no data that supports your assumption. Third, poe switch failure is VERY VERY rare.

MrMotofy

n3wb
Reaction score
I hear you...I should have used different adjectives and said something like some of the larger fancier PTZ spec POE+. I could have worded it different.

Are you implying you haven't used any POE+ spec'd cams or that you have run them all fine on the af switches?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear you...I should have used different adjectives and said something like some of the larger fancier PTZ spec POE+. I could have worded it different.

Are you implying you haven't used any POE+ spec'd cams or that you have run them all fine on the af switches?
I havent and dont intend to use any poe+ cameras. More importantly, if someone then chooses to use a poe+ camera, they can simply replace the switch. Most of my switches are poe+ but that is not because I need the power. Its simply because zyxel includes poe+ in its managed switches.

Last edited: