It's all about the light

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Low end cheapie 2MP eyeball camera serves the purpose with a little help from some white light. Sometimes low-tech works just fine.

This was a blind spot I had at Mom's and this little $49 VF 2.8-12mm eyeball works just fine.

(Switch to 1080p)

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like it as the camera responds very fast to the light change. What camera is it?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Honestly dont have the actual part number handy. It's a 2+ year old HDCVI eyeball camera. CVI cams have come a very long way in the past 2 years and rival the image quality and features on IP cams/ This one though is a "dumb" 2nd gen camera with very basic controls. No WDR which I really need in this location looking out from shade into bright sunlight in daytime. But for $49 it'll do for now until I get a Starlight turret up there.

Basically this one but 2+ years older without WDR
HAC-HDW1200R-VF - buy DAHUA HAC-HDW1200R-VF 2MP HDCVI IR Eyeball Camera DH-HAC-HDW1200R-VF review

But really my point is that if you provide enough good light, IR or white light, you can get reasonably good images from most 2MP cameras. I think we all spend a lot of time chasing the next bestest thing and want technology to do things that are really pretty hard to do well (for cheap), when sometimes we just need to use the ol noggin and add some light!

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But really my point is that if you provide enough good light, IR or white light, you can get reasonably good images from most 2MP cameras. I think we all spend a lot of time chasing the next bestest thing and want technology to do things that are really pretty hard to do well (for cheap), when sometimes we just need to use the ol noggin and add some light!
Everyone should read this a few times. If you can't afford the best nighttime sensor, add light to the scene (be it a motion flood light, IR emitter, cheap LED street light etc.) and that will make the cheaper sensors provide a better image at night.