I've been robbed, need a video camera asap

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to set up video camera around my house for a long time... Well, I waited to long. Just got robbed. it's pretty bad, but let's get to my questions knowing that I don't know anything about this subject (except for the past 2 days doing research on the internet). To understand my requirements, note that I'm a software engineer willing to spend tons of time on this.

1) Get an external video camera asap. More will come, but I just need to be quick. (Thieves are leaving next street, I was able to localized the location of my stuff, @#$^%@#$)
2) I want to be able to record everything in the cloud, not at home.
3) Set up software need to run on linux or Mac (no windows)

Ok, so from my research, it looks like the best would be an IP video camera that has 2 video streams, support onvif or at least support rtsp or some other protocol. Then as a first step, I could use live555 running on a machine in the cloud to record everything. It can be wireless or not, can need to be plugged in or not.

But with all my research, and all the cameras and brand out there, I still have no ideas which one I should get. Any pointer in the right direction would be very appreciated. My budget for the first camera? well, if it could be less than $300 dollars, it would be great. But I want to build some face recognition software later.

Thank you in advance,

Vin

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, recording directly to the cloud is tough if you get very many cameras, if you are only doing a few then you have a better chance. It will use a TON of bandwidth and if you loose internet then you have no recording. I would think a better way would be to record locally, then upload that to an FTP when it's done or at certain times of the day.

If you are worried about the footage being stolen, you can record to a NAS or something in the house separate from the actual PC and have it hidden away, and in a locked and secure location. Behind the water heater or wherever a thief will not be in a hurry to look! :)

I use Exacq personally, and I know it runs fine on Linux and Macs, has a web server, apps that work on all major phone and tablet OSes, and it has archiving built in so I can set it to continually send events to an FTP when it's done recording, or almost as it happens. Most do it on a set schedule, or every hour or whatever. Good option maybe, but there are others for sure. I'd look at the Hikvision 3mp cameras as a good option, good performing onvif camera and pretty capable firmware.

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you need semi-cloud recording that's free, you can set up a gmail account (just for this purpose) and have the cameras send the capture photos via email, then you'll have it for your record in the email.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've setup, temporary, motion detection snapshots to be saved via ftp from my house to work. Seem to work fine with one camera.
Just a thought.

walkabout

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum but I have put up a few camera systems. I agree with fenderman on Hikvision and I also bought it from Wrightwood. Good people to work with. I used the DS-2CD3332-I. I bought the 2.8, 4 and 6mm lens. The NVR software I used was Security Spy. It's Mac based and works well but is not cheap. Streaming multiple camera's to the cloud will take roughly 300Kbps using H.264. I hope this helps.

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I love the idea for a quick set up, Thanks! Would that work on any IP cameras?

- - - Updated - - -

You have a point. I probably should get a NAS, and then transfer what ever I need in the cloud.

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Which camera are you using for this. Or what feature should I look for?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For the quickest setup buy a camera with an SD card option and a poe switch. Run ethernet to it and you are done. Later on when you have the time you can mess around with software and NAS.

walkabout

n3wb
Reaction score
The nice feature of security spy is the number of cameras it supports. I have used Axis, Vivotek, AirLink, Ubiquiti Aircam, Hikvision, D-link and a couple others I can't remember. So far the Hikvision offers the best band for the buck. The cost of IP cameras have come down so much in the past few years most cameras have all the bells and whistles you need. Personally the features I look for are POE (power over ethernet) and H.264 codex. I like to power everything from one switch and in most cases I'm their ISP so the H.264 uses less bandwidth.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
that's an ok price on amazon . If you want it quick contact member @milkisbad He sells LTS cameras that are rebranded hikvision. His customer service is impeccable and shipping is very fast. I ordered an NVR it shipped same day and I got it the next day (we are both in NJ though). They offer a 3 year warranty as well. You can also buy direct from china with no warranty and the shipping will take much longer. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/HIKVISION-DS-2CD2732F-IS-New-High-Quality-varifocal-lense-3MP-IR-dome-security-network-ip-cameras/638300_1588972422.html
I don't think its worth the wait in your case and there is effectively no warranty as return shipping is prohibitive if it is even received.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Vin Tekiel ds-2cd2532f-is is another option for you, its not varifocal like the other, so you need to specify the lens...go with 2.8 or 4, but it does have a built in mic (the other does not have a mic built in), SD card slot and is cheaper, but has less ir leds.

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you. I contacted milkisbad (hum, I drink raw milk every morning, lol)... I agree, it is not worth the wait, especially for the first one. If I can't order one today, I'll probably get a fake one at least, ahahahah. But hopefully, I'll order one today and get it in the next couple of days. I quite like the camera you've recommended, lots of good reviews.

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you so much milkisbad! I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you all for all your suggestions. I'll definitely stay around since that's just the first step of my much bigger plan :). I'll try to record all the steps for everything I do. It could be of use for other noobs like me :)

Thanks!

Vin

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@networkcameracritic: I actually saw your review, I was tempted with this one, but I decided to go with something a bit bigger, I like the fact that it is visible. Only that should deter at least some of the burglars, right? Along with my Warning sign about dogs. Well, I have a cat, that count, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

dalepa

Reaction score
Start simple, get a 2.8mm Hikvision 2432 from China Here and put it up on your front porch. Not sure about any Mac/Linux options, but Blue Iris on windows works very well...

The Hik2432 does wifi, but wifi will drive you nuts over time, so go POE from day one and save yourself lots of grief....

Before you know it, you'll have 15 cams and use the old spare cams in the attic watching for rats. :)

Welcome to the group!

From the front porch, Hik 2432

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI one of the easiest ways to set up cloud backup of video clips is to use something like dropbox or google drive where you can just have things record directly to the dropbox / google drive folder. Of course this works best if you have lots of upload speed to the internet, and no data caps.