iVMS-4200 Doesn't See My Old or New Hikvision Cameras

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ughhh! I'm trying to add 3 NEW Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I cameras to my existing Hikvision system which is 2-3 years old. The NVR says all 8 ports are full even though I only have 5 cameras hooked up. I have plugged one of the new cameras in without activating it but the NVR says it's not there. So I used iVMS to try to find the new camera but it doesn't see it nor does it even see the 5 old cameras. Then I tried SADP and the same thing happens. They both see the NVR but none of the cameras. I do not have the cameras on a LAN or plugged into the internet, just into the NVR. Even though I've had my system for maybe 3 years, I have never tried to "mess" with it before. I have tried to upgrade my NVR but I get 2 error messages. One is a "version mismatch" I think it was and the second one is a "firmware mismatch". Does anyone have any ideas on where to start "fixing" this system? I'm not sure what language the current firmware is in but I did buy the originals from a non-Hikvision dealer (who is out of business) which I just found out was a mistake. I've also tried to contact the seller of the new cameras but to no avail. I THINK I need to upgrade the NVR firmware first and then maybe it will see the new cameras but I can't even get it to do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have already spent 40-50 hours on this system and have gotten absolutely nowhere. Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You haven't specified the key item of this problem - the model of the NVR, nor the firmware version on it.

Do not try to update the NVR firmware - you will likely dig yourself quite a hole.
I do think you have dodged a bullet by getting those failed errors when attempting updates.

I'm going to speculate that you have an 8 channel NVR with 8 PoE ports, and are maybe trying to 'Add' the new cameras.
When all 8 channels are used by the 8 pre-defined PoE channels this can't be done.
You simply have to use 'Modify' on an existing unused channel.

So here is my first suggestion to try:
Access the NVR web interface and under Camera Configuration, note down the existing IP addresses of the 3 channels that you want to plug the cameras into.
Unplug one of the cameras and connect your PC to the port it was using.
Run SADP, see the remaining 2 new cameras, 'activate' them, set a new strong password.
Set each camera IP address to match the IP address of the NVR channel it's plugged in to that you noted down earlier.
It will be something like 192.168.254.x
Set the cameras default gateway to 192.168.254.1

Now unplug the PC, plug the 3rd new camera back in, unplug one of the other 2 new cameras, plug the PC in its place.
Repeat the process that you did for the first 2 new cameras for this 3rd one.
Unplug the PC, plug the 3rd camera back in.
Plug the PC back on the LAN and access the NVR web interface.
Check Live View and hopefully the cameras will be showing OK.

The second suggestion would involve setting the NVR PoE channels to 'manual' instead of Plug&Play - which might be needed depending on how old the firmware of your (unspecified) NVR is.
But we'll leave that until you've had a go with the above, which may work OK.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm sorry about the missing info. The NVR model is a DS-7608NI-SE/P and the firmware version is V3.0.8 Build 140913. And you are correct. I do have an 8 port PoE NVR. And you are right again about not being able to delete or add any cameras.

Unfortunately, I do not have the NVR on the web so I'm assuming I can't access the NVR via a web interface. Another thing that is odd to me is that the IP address of one of the new cameras is constantly changing on the screen after I log into the camera configuration like it is trying to find its IP address. So, I'm not sure what IP address to assign to that one.

And you are right again about the IP address being 192.168.254.x(x). However, one of the cameras IP addresses is already 192.168.254.1 but it does happen to be one of the new cameras. So, should I change it to another IP address?

In the meantime, I will try adding the cameras per your first set of instructions. Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's important that you don't assign the address192.168.254.1 to any cameras.
That is the IP address of the NVR PoE interface.
Devices on that address range must start at .2

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I managed to activate the cameras, yay! But, the program won't modify the camera's settings so it won't let me change the IP address or the gateway. Boo!

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh, ok. Yeah, I see that now. It was the IP address of the NVR. So, the camera IP address extensions now won't match the port numbers. They will all be one off I or I could make the IP address extension of the first camera port an 11, I guess.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I was also able to modify the password on the NVR to match the new camera with the strong password and I was also able to modify the new camera IP address and gateway but I still can't see it anywhere.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I also used plug and play and it assigned a .8 extension so I just went with that IP address in when adding it manually even though it is port 2. But it won't add the camera manually. The error message is "stream type not supported". I hope that is an easy fix. I feel like I have made a lot of progress in just one day so maybe I'm fairly close now to making these cameras work. Thanks a lot!

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmmm. I'm not sure why but now when I try to manually add the first new camera, my error message says "the channel port is wrong" even though I tried every port number from 1 to 8. So, I'm confused again. What port am I supposed to be assigning to this new camera? :/

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The error message is "stream type not supported".
Check the camera substream is not set to MJPEG, or that the main stream isn't set to h.265
That's a very old version of NVR firmware - there will likely be some issues with support of newer cameras.
And it doesn't have the really useful feature of 'Virtual Host' where you can access the camera web GUI directly for detailed configuration.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To sum up:

One of the new cameras has been activated. Both SADP and iVMS-4200 programs "see" the new camera but there is still no picture from it.
The new camera has an IP extension of .8 and is plugged into PoE port #2.
The NVR GUI keeps switching between 2 error messages. Either "stream type not supported" or "the channel port is wrong".
The NVR password has been updated to match the new camera password.
The old camera passwords have not been changed yet.

That's all I can think of to help you.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I wi
Check the camera substream is not set to MJPEG, or that the main stream isn't set to h.265
That's a very old version of NVR firmware - there will likely be some issues with support of newer cameras.
And it doesn't have the really useful feature of 'Virtual Host' where you can access the camera web GUI directly for detailed configuration.
Ok, I will check the camera substream and main stream tomorrow if I can figure out how. But I think I remember seeing something set to h.265. If the substream is set to MJPEG and the main stream is set to h.265, what do I change them to?

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For the channel number that you have plugged the camera in to, the camera IP address must match the IP address of that NVR channel.
Hmmm. How do I know what the channel number is? Is that the same as the port number? If it is, how do I assign an IP address ending in .1, for the camera on port number 1, since that IP address is for the NVR? Sorry for the tedious, stupid questions. I am clueless right now.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
How do I know what the channel number is?
This is the physical channel, 1-8, labelled on the back of the NVR that matches the web GUI Camera Management channel listed as D01, D02 etc
it is, how do I assign an IP address ending in .1, for the camera on port number 1
You don't - in the NVR web GUI Camera Management you can see the NVR channels IP addresses in the column 'IP Address'.
All you need to do is to ensure that the camera that's plugged in to that channel has the same IP address.
In the 'Channel No.' column, all cameras should be left at '1'. These cameras are not multi-channels devices.

You can get access to the cameras on the PoE ports to check / change their network settings if you temporarily connect your PC to an unused PoE port and use SADP. No need to change the PC IP address.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a similar issue when I bought an NVR and two cameras.
One was a All Region model and connected using plug and play, the other one was a chinese import and would not connect.
All I did was reset the camera using the button inside and then it just connected via plug and play.

Not sure if you want to try that with one of your cameras if you are still having issues.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is the physical channel, 1-8, labelled on the back of the NVR that matches the web GUI Camera Management channel listed as D01, D02 etc

You don't - in the NVR web GUI Camera Management you can see the NVR channels IP addresses in the column 'IP Address'.
All you need to do is to ensure that the camera that's plugged in to that channel has the same IP address.
In the 'Channel No.' column, all cameras should be left at '1'. These cameras are not multi-channels devices.

You can get access to the cameras on the PoE ports to check / change their network settings if you temporarily connect your PC to an unused PoE port and use SADP. No need to change the PC IP address.
Oh ok haha. Sheesh. Got it now.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My iVMS-4200 program doesn't list my NVR as being online under Online Devices under the Server tab under Device Management. Any ideas on how to fix this new problem?! This stuff is crazy hard. Way too hard imo.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Ok, the only place I found the stream settings was under the recording tab within the NVR GUI and since I'm still getting the error message "stream type not supported", I can't get to the recording tab for the new camera so I can't find out what the stream type is. Sheesh!!!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
On a temporary basis, to log in to the camera web GUI to check and change camera settings, you could connect your PC to an unused NVR PoE port, set the PC IP address to, say, 192.168.254.100 and point the browser at each camera IP address.
If you're unsure of the camera IP addresses, SADP will show them for you.