IVMS-4200 Issue

Baje

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I have a Hik system with around 20 cameras that are recording to a NVR and it is working brilliantly.

On this same network i have a pc with IVMS-4200 being used as only a viewing station.
I am using a Intel i3 1151 processor with 8gb of ram with a Geforce Video Card.

The issue i am getting it with this PC. At first startup it works well, then after a 6 hours or so the video showing on the monitor seems to slow down, being behind real time by about 6-10 minutes. Sometime the program actually crashes.

Has anyone had this issue before?

Ive already changed the PC and getting the same issue.

Thanks!

bamix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Baje,

So your NVR is doing all the heavy lifting so to speak and you just view on the PC, is that correct ?

Did you add the NVR as a Server (Encoding Device/Door Station) or as a Hik Cloud P2P Device ?

Have you checked to see what iVMS-4200 reports as being Network, CPU and Memory usage before and after the onset of the symptom ?

What version of iVMS-4200 are you running ?

What are the Cameras and what firmware are they running ?

When you say you swapped the PC, did you swap it for one of the same build specification or different altogether ?

I haven't come across this problem but perhaps some of this additional information might be helpful for further review.

FastCamMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I have a Hik system with around 20 cameras that are recording to a NVR and it is working brilliantly.

On this same network i have a pc with IVMS-4200 being used as only a viewing station.
I am using a Intel i3 1151 processor with 8gb of ram with a Geforce Video Card.

The issue i am getting it with this PC. At first startup it works well, then after a 6 hours or so the video showing on the monitor seems to slow down, being behind real time by about 6-10 minutes. Sometime the program actually crashes.

Has anyone had this issue before?

Ive already changed the PC and getting the same issue.

Thanks!
Yes, and the fix is very simple. With in ivms-4200 go to:

Tool -> System Configuration -> Image (3rd down) and change the Play Performance pull down from "Self-adaptive" to "Shortest Delay"

Incidentally you may see a number of memory leaks and crashes go away as a result. The worst side affect is that if your PC is too busy and short cycles the video will chop until it is has CPU cycles. I have debated HIKVision engineers in China about how worthless Self-adaptive is yet they still insist on it being the default setting.

Hope this helps.

Baje

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh it cant be that easy!

Will give it a try tomorrow and get back to you.

Thanks

Baje

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, so that worked and then a couple days ago out of the blue it started crashing again in the same kind of fashion, changed OS, reinstalled software and getting the same issue again regardless if its self -adaptive or shortest delay.

Decodeprocess.exe seems to be what is actually crashing and the windows error log points to a MSVCR90.dll.

Ever had that issue before?

Baje

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tried that, video lagged really bad and eventually it crashed again :(

Xander

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried that, video lagged really bad and eventually it crashed again :(
We have experienced the same issue for weeks now. Hikvision has no fix for us. This post has solved our problem, but I cannot confirm that it's a permanent fix as we only implemented it 24 hours ago.
The client pc we are using is an i7 with 16GB of ram running a Radeon RX470 4GB DDR5 GPU. I strongly doubt that this issue relates to pc specs, perhaps a hardware compatibility issue, I don't know. We didn't experience the crashing issue, just the delay in live video feed.
Hopefully this has sorted our problem for good, thanks for the post.

Baje

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After many sleepless nights and worrysome days what i have come to realise is that IVMS doesnt like being installed on a SSD drive! Install on a "regular" hard drive and voila!. Have no idea why, but thats what works!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After many sleepless nights and worrysome days what i have come to realise is that IVMS doesnt like being installed on a SSD drive! Install on a "regular" hard drive and voila!. Have no idea why, but thats what works!
That makes no sense..likely the reinstall changed something..or it could have been a bad drive..

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for the picture. My ICON says I have iVMS-4200 Client. The page it comes up to when clicking only has Main View, Video Wall and Device Management. No file, system, view, tool or help. So maybe I have an abbreviated version of iVMS-4200.

bamix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am still running version 2.5.1.7 on Windows 10. I think there is a newer version and I know they have stripped out some things, intercom systems from memory. The top menu items are basic Windows functionality. I have checked through my version and I can't find anywhere that it can be turned off as you mention. However, if I go to VIEW --> Auxiliary Screen Preview I do get a second window that opens as you describe it. See the attached picture. As far as I am aware, iVMS-4200 is always referred to as "client" because it installs to a PC or PC's that communicate to a server in some form. I don't think it has to do with the level of functionality.
Main_and_Auxillary_Screens.jpg

Baje

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I cant help ya, but this i know. I tried it on 2 different systems with different ssd drives and got the same issue. And as a side note, both systems were operating at home, not using ivms software, and they never missed a beat.
That makes no sense..likely the reinstall changed something..or it could have been a bad drive..
Tried it on same systems both with regular drives and both worked great.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried it on 2 different systems with different ssd drives and got the same issue.
It's possible - but of course should not happen - that some multi-threaded code could suffer from a 'race condition' where whether it manifests as a fault or not depends on the relative timing of I/O operations vs code execution time.
Pure speculation - but I have analysed software bugs that were dependant on the performance of the environment that they were running in.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I cant help ya, but this i know. I tried it on 2 different systems with different ssd drives and got the same issue. And as a side note, both systems were operating at home, not using ivms software, and they never missed a beat.

Tried it on same systems both with regular drives and both worked great.
There can be something common to those systems...

bamix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the picture. My ICON says I have iVMS-4200 Client. The page it comes up to when clicking only has Main View, Video Wall and Device Management. No file, system, view, tool or help. So maybe I have an abbreviated version of iVMS-4200.
Parley, maybe try this. Open the iVMS-4200 Client in Windows. If you don't see the top menus as you mention, do the following on your keyboard.

Press the ALT key, tap the RIGHT ARROW > key 3 times, press the SPACEBAR.

That should make the menu for TOOL drop down.

Other than that, you may have to try a clean install. If you export your Configuration Settings first then you can always import them back in after the clean install. That might isolate where the problem stems from. Good luck !