iVMS 4200 - Main View - Option to set live view cameras to sub-stream greyed out?!

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
[solved] VMS 4200 - Main View - Option to set live view to sub-stream greyed out?!

(There's no iVMS category in the software section, so I'm going to ask this here)

I finally found the well hidden option that may save a boat load of CPU cycles in live view in iVMS: sub-stream viewing.

Except it is all greyed out per individual camera and in the group.

iVMS
Main View
Expand camera list

Right-click on individual camera
5 lines: Camera status, Remote Configuration, Synchronization. Then Main Stream (checked) Sub-stream (not checked) both greyed out.

Right-click on camera group:
4 lines: Expand all, collapse all, set main stream to all (checked, grey), set sub-stream to all (not checked, grey)

Does anybody know how to unlock this?
Is it a bug?

How might one bring this to Hikvision's attention for a fix in software update?
Given that the software is free, without support I think for customers who ordered cameras directly abroad ...

And, I can't find it as an option on the camera configuration side of things.

PS: Sub-stream is not part of my manual. Keyword not found.

Last edited by a moderator:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Aaahhh!

Damn that's intuitive! Not! Caused me to move onto different software.

Learn something new every day.

Anyway. Big thanks!

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It sure does :)

Did not end up making a difference in total cpu load in the end, by the time I switched all streams manually to substream and then bumped the quality up a little from old webcam level to 480p. It seemed to be dropping to 20-25% but then bumped back up to 30.

Anyway, happy camper that's resolved. The auto stream type as dr said and highlighted by milkisbad holds the key to being able to switch main stream or sub stream on the fly.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just for completeness. Live view cpu use has settled down. Since using 9up with 6streams typically 3-5% :)

pcmcg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ya, this makes a big difference. Is there anyway to have the a full-screen view switch to primary stream?

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've wondered about that at one point as it seems when you tap through it just enlarges the sub stream, right?

I don't think there is a preference for it. I think that may hinge on the auto stream type to do it on the fly, but then based on network and system capacities that seems to stay in higher detail all the time. For a while, I've used the one large and several smaller combo mosaic layout, with the large image on primary.

One thing that could work is a custom single screen view with a particular camera set to high. My fear is though that the stream preference sticks to the camera and not per view screen. (but would be inconvenient to have several custom screens) Can't test it right now, will have another look when I get back from the road.

Jcabrera

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: iVMS 4200 - Main View - Option to set live view cameras to sub-stream greyed out?

How to start ivms-4200 in main view?

navneet587

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: [solved] VMS 4200 - Main View - Option to set live view to sub-stream greyed out?

(There's no iVMS category in the software section, so I'm going to ask this here)

I finally found the well hidden option that may save a boat load of CPU cycles in live view in iVMS: sub-stream viewing.

Except it is all greyed out per individual camera and in the group.

iVMS
Main View
Expand camera list

Right-click on individual camera
5 lines: Camera status, Remote Configuration, Synchronization. Then Main Stream (checked) Sub-stream (not checked) both greyed out.

Right-click on camera group:
4 lines: Expand all, collapse all, set main stream to all (checked, grey), set sub-stream to all (not checked, grey)

Does anybody know how to unlock this?
Is it a bug?

How might one bring this to Hikvision's attention for a fix in software update?
Given that the software is free, without support I think for customers who ordered cameras directly abroad ...

And, I can't find it as an option on the camera configuration side of things.

PS: Sub-stream is not part of my manual. Keyword not found.
"You can change the Stream Type either to Main Stream or Sub Stream by going to Tools ->System Configuration -> Image -> Untick before "Auto-change Stream Type".

Now you can change the Stream Type as you want. If it is ticked then it'll always load the stream as per your bandwidth speed.

Thank