iVMS-4500 outside LAN okay, inside LAN connection fail

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
iPhone 6 with latest OS. Was connecting inside and outside LAN just fine. Today after having connected outside LAN then comming home and attempting to connect inside LAN, I get connection failure.

No changes to network and no recent iOS update. Uninstalled and reinstalled iVMS, no difference. I don't use DDNS, use internal IP inside WiFi connection and WAN-side fixed IP for cellular connection.

Android phone just fine, can connect inside on WiFi and outside on cellular with same settings.

Months ago, iVMS-4500 HD quit working inside LAN on WiFi connection on iPad after iOS update. I gave up on that since I could still connect inside LAN with phone. Now both won't connect inside LAN.

Is this an iOS problem or an iVMS-4500 problem? Have had no problems at all with Android devices.

Last edited:

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have two separate "Devices" configured, one for inside the LAN with the IP address set and one for outside the LAN set with whatever domain address you're using to get to the NVR? I found that for me this was the best way to keep things working.

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have two separate "Devices" configured, one for inside the LAN with the IP address set and one for outside the LAN set with whatever domain address you're using to get to the NVR? I found that for me this was the best way to keep things working.
Thanks for the reply. If I understand your question correctly, yes. The iPhone 6 is my wife's phone and I have an Android phone. Under "Devices" in iVMS, there are two listed: "Inside" and "Outside." The "Inside" device uses an internal IP address and the "Outside" device uses a static, public IP address.

When WiFi is turned off on the iPhone and the device named "Qutside" is selected, connection is successful. Switch on WiFi and select "Inside", the connection fails. On my Android phone, connection for both scenarios is successful.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Register Mode" set to "IP/Domain"; "Address" set to the correct internal IP address; "Port" set to the correct port (8000 on mine); and "User Name" and "Password" correctly entered? I think that's all there is to set...

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe delete the current "Inside" device and start another from scratch.
Yup, have done all of that several times including uninstalling and reinstalling app. Sounds like I have set things up exactly as you have. Even started from scratch on the Android phone just to make sure I am using correct info and again, no problems on the Android phone. It's a mystery. I keep looking for something obvious that I am missing and haven't found it yet.

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
You don't have Nat loop back on your router.
Thanks for the reply. I have read previous posts where that was mentioned, but I thought it only applied to those using DDNS. I am trying to connect using an internal IP address within the LAN and a different, static, public IP address when connecting via cellular outside the LAN. Also, as noted, an Android phone using the same configuration has no issues.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
Find a more reliable means of connecting the NVR to the switch like some MoCa adapters or maybe powerline
Amazon.com: Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter, 2 Pack (ECB6200K02): Computers & Accessories

I suspect too much bandwidth for your wifi to handle.
Your are probably right, but I only have two 4MP cameras (DS-2CD2342WD-I turrets) and I'm pretty sure the ENH500 should be able to handle that. Just before your reply, I configured iPhone to use Cloud P2P and that works fine. There is more connection lag than with the other config on other devices, but it's tolerable and of course, eliminates the need to switch devices when inside or outside the LAN. Also, I tried adding devices with the inside/outside config to iVMS-4500 on iPad, and now it works. It had been a while and at least one iOS update on the iPad since the last time I tried it. I suspect some quirk in iOS for iPhone 6, although it had been working on current version and no updates were applied.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sounds more like a router issue than anything else, if your set for local ip at Home and DDNS away. your Forwarding is working on away but home is not.
I have a similar issue as I have multiple access points, but can only connect to my nvr from one access point and not via my router (vodafone) using an android device all is good on both a Crapple device no good.

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
sounds more like a router issue than anything else, if your set for local ip at Home and DDNS away. your Forwarding is working on away but home is not.
I have a similar issue as I have multiple access points, but can only connect to my nvr from one access point and not via my router (vodafone) using an android device all is good on both a Crapple device no good.
Internal NVR address is visible on wireless access point's network map and visible to all connected devices inside LAN. I wasn't aware that there is any port forwarding going on inside LAN. Port forwarding is only configured on WAN-facing gateway (Comcast modem) with traffic on port 8000 forwarded to internal NVR address. I have a single AP through which one phone connects to NVR and the other does not. Edit: And the one that does not used to but then quit connecting for no reason I can identify.

Last edited:

bamix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Internal NVR address is visible on wireless access point's network map and visible to all connected devices inside LAN. I wasn't aware that there is any port forwarding going on inside LAN. Port forwarding is only configured on WAN-facing gateway (Comcast modem) with traffic on port 8000 forwarded to internal NVR address. I have a single AP through which one phone connects to NVR and the other does not. Edit: And the one that does not used to but then quit connecting for no reason I can identify.
gnikoli,

Have you tried keying in the LAN IP Address of the NVR using a browser on the iPhone ? Even Safari should get you through to a Log In screen.

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
gnikoli,

Have you tried keying in the LAN IP Address of the NVR using a browser on the iPhone ? Even Safari should get you through to a Log In screen.
Yes, and it does not connect. I can access the NVR via browser on iPad, Android phone and Android tablet, but not iPhone 6. I can see nothing in the configuration of WiFi access point that would account for that difference. iPhone access via Cloud P2P works.

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
gnikoli,

Also, NVR is on the other side of EnGenius ENH500 wireless bridge. In the client list on access point, the address for ENH500 is listed with a small #2 that indicates there are two devices connected at that address, the bridge itself, and the NVR behind it, but the NVR's address is not listed. Wonder if that has anything to do with this. It's as if all other devices can see what is on the other side of the bridge except the iPhone. ENH500 operation mode is set to "client bridge." Perhaps hardwiring NVR to LAN would solve this, but that is not an option, which is why I am using a wireless bridge. Or maybe, I should bring the NVR inside, hardwire it to the LAN, and use the wireless bridge to connect cameras to NVR?

The only other thing that may be worth noting is that ENH500 sys log indicates: Jan 23 13:31:50 ENH500 user.warn kernel: ath0: received packet with own address as source address

bamix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So it seems that you have encountered an issue with IP Address conflict as 'whoslooking' referred to above. From reading through your descriptions it is still a bit difficult for me to understand exactly how you have your Network set up. However, it seems as though your iPhone has become excluded from the WLAN due to this conflict. I don't know if you have tried this but maybe turn DHCP off in the Network Settings on your iPhone. Go to SETTINGS, WI-FI and then click on the small blue circle with an "i" in it to get to the details. If it is still set to DHCP then take a note of all the values, IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router and the DNS details. Then tap on the "Static" tab at the top and re-enter all the details verbatim except for the first value, the iPhone's IP Address. You just need to alter the last octet, so if under DHCP it was 192.168.1.12 then for Static make it something like 192.168.1.112 (bump it out by reasonable number). If the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 then the maximum range of numbers you could use here is from 1 to 254 (unless your Router has set a specific range lesser than this) so don't go overboard. Once you have all that keyed in then just tap the <Wi-Fi button at the top left and the iPhone will refresh the Network connection with the new settings. If by chance you use a number already allocated by the Router and it fails, try another number and see how that goes. As a failsafe, you can always turn DHCP back on by tapping the tab at the details page. I hope that this helps.

If it is still falling over then maybe provide some more details on your Network set up. Even a rough drawing with device names and their IP addresses would be good. Especially how the NVR, Access Point and Cameras relate.

gnikoli

n3wb
Reaction score
So it seems that you have encountered an issue with IP Address conflict as 'whoslooking' referred to above. From reading through your descriptions it is still a bit difficult for me to understand exactly how you have your Network set up. However, it seems as though your iPhone has become excluded from the WLAN due to this conflict. I don't know if you have tried this but maybe turn DHCP off in the Network Settings on your iPhone. Go to SETTINGS, WI-FI and then click on the small blue circle with an "i" in it to get to the details. If it is still set to DHCP then take a note of all the values, IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router and the DNS details. Then tap on the "Static" tab at the top and re-enter all the details verbatim except for the first value, the iPhone's IP Address. You just need to alter the last octet, so if under DHCP it was 192.168.1.12 then for Static make it something like 192.168.1.112 (bump it out by reasonable number). If the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 then the maximum range of numbers you could use here is from 1 to 254 (unless your Router has set a specific range lesser than this) so don't go overboard. Once you have all that keyed in then just tap the <Wi-Fi button at the top left and the iPhone will refresh the Network connection with the new settings. If by chance you use a number already allocated by the Router and it fails, try another number and see how that goes. As a failsafe, you can always turn DHCP back on by tapping the tab at the details page. I hope that this helps.

If it is still falling over then maybe provide some more details on your Network set up. Even a rough drawing with device names and their IP addresses would be good. Especially how the NVR, Access Point and Cameras relate.
Thanks! That seems to have been the solution. I had set the iPhone to static IP, but I used the same address as that which was assigned by DHCP; changed last part from 21 to 121 and that made the difference. Syslog in ENH500 still producing same message.

Just to close the loop: DS-2CD2342WD-I Cameras (2) <-cable-> DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR <-cable-> ENH500 <-wifi-> ASUS RTAC68U <-wifi-> iPhone