iVMS Client Problems

Reaction score
Been lurking for a few days. Purchased 2 Hikvision 2132's, and a POE switch. Cameras are installed in the front and the back of the house. Loaded iVMS 4200 client(could not find PCNVR), and I can not figure out how to record cameras to the local 500GB drive. The iVMS is on a dedicated PC with a SSD OS drive and the 500 GB drive.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're wanting to record 24/7 then go to control panel, system configuration, file. There you can enter your saving path. Then click red dot in bottom of your camera's frame or right click and choose start recording.
I can't figure out how to add my local drives either for motion detection. Like I say, please let me know if you do figure this out.

Last edited by a moderator:

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you install iVMS-4200 there should be some check options for the Client and the Server. The client can do recording while it's running, but what I like is the Server will run in the background and record with minimal resources required. I have the Server running in the background all the time and only open the client to playback or live monitor. The Server will need to format a drive to and that was a little tricky. Not in front of it right now...

The point is, there is a Client Program and a Server Program in the iVMS-4200 software. Install both and you configure the Server through the Client. The server part would be what PC-NVR once was. I can still use my computer for everything else with the Server running quietly in the background recording everything.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So youre saying you are able to use motion detection?

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I have my cameras doing all the legwork. I set up all the parameters within the camera configurations to detect motion, traverse line, intrusion, etc. There are some settings in the camera configuration that trigger the Server to record. I then have a PC running the Server software recording to a dedicated hard drive on the PC. When the camera detects motion, it triggers the Server to record. If I have reason to check on it, I open up the Client and search by date. The only thing I haven't been able to get the client to do is filter the events based on the type of detection. It has been completely reliable though once it's all set up. I'll try to post some step by steps later when I'm in front of it and have time.

Did you get the Client and Server installed? You need to configure some of it with the Client. You can configure it all through the client.

The first thing is using device management on the Client to add the server and cameras to a group. The client will detect the server if it is running in the background. It gets confusing because you have to be careful you are setting your parameters up in the Server - Not the Client. I'll get some screen shots for you.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmm, I have tried and tried but it will not see my drives. I'm running 5 hdd in JBOD:D. Simply put, since I know somebody got it to work I will try try try again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I have tried and tried but it will not see my drives. I'm running 5 hdd in JBOD:D. Simply put, since I know somebody got it to work I will try try try again.
lots of folks have ivms running for their hiks...it should not be this tricky..i would start over and take it step by step..

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it set up in a RAID? I just have a 2tb formatted exFAT. It was tricky to initially set up but it locks on and encapsulates the data and never lets go. When I was initially messing with it and setting it up, I think I had to uninstall the Server program to remap it to another drive. It needs it's own partition to format. I can't see inside the drive with Windows Explorer once you map the Server to the drive.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no raid, I will try with single drive. The partition part is probably the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah im going to try again.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think those folks are all using the PC-NVR program? which may set up a little differently.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I know what my issues are with this.:)
I been putting off a new build for awhile now. I have all the components but been too darn busy!
I want my current system up and recording while I build my new one. So, I will let you know if I have it figured out.
If not I might be asking for help!
Thanks for telling me how you have this set-up. It is exactly the way I been wanting to set mine up!

Reaction score
Yes, I have my cameras doing all the legwork. I set up all the parameters within the camera configurations to detect motion, traverse line, intrusion, etc. There are some settings in the camera configuration that trigger the Server to record. I then have a PC running the Server software recording to a dedicated hard drive on the PC. When the camera detects motion, it triggers the Server to record. If I have reason to check on it, I open up the Client and search by date. The only thing I haven't been able to get the client to do is filter the events based on the type of detection. It has been completely reliable though once it's all set up. I'll try to post some step by steps later when I'm in front of it and have time.

Did you get the Client and Server installed? You need to configure some of it with the Client. You can configure it all through the client.

The first thing is using device management on the Client to add the server and cameras to a group. The client will detect the server if it is running in the background. It gets confusing because you have to be careful you are setting your parameters up in the Server - Not the Client. I'll get some screen shots for you.

Thank you. I would like to see some screen shots. I have 4200 up and running, and it says the "iVMS-4200 Storage Server" is running. I cant figure out how to add the server to a group. Is the server ip the ip of the machine it installed on?

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, been busy and I have some network issues with a new router forced upon me by my new ISP. Been trying to get my network to play nice again so I've devoted tonight to rebuilding from ground zero.

This shows you were to add the Server to the group. It will be your machine IP address, port 8001. It should find it once it's installed and running.

This is were you will drop down and select your storage server to record and modify settings accordingly. Local recording will only happen with the client on. The storage server will happen whether client is on or off.

Attachments

Reaction score
"Local recording will only happen with the client on. The storage server will happen whether client is on or off. "

Thank you for the screen shots. What does the quote above mean?

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Local recording will only happen with the client on. The storage server will happen whether client is on or off. "

Thank you for the screen shots. What does the quote above mean?
Don't use local recording. If you have the client open and tell the client to record, that is local recording. That will eat up your CPU and require the client to always be running.

Use the storage server. Your storage server should be in the drop down once its added to a group with the cameras and running. You'll select this for each camera and use all day template. Then in each cameras web gui, you'll check notify surveillance center to trigger it to record to the storage server. The camera record template will be based on motion, intrusion, line detection, etc...try to send more snaps later

Reaction score
Don't use local recording. If you have the client open and tell the client to record, that is local recording. That will eat up your CPU and require the client to always be running.

Use the storage server. Your storage server should be in the drop down once its added to a group with the cameras and running. You'll select this for each camera and use all day template. Then in each cameras web gui, you'll check notify surveillance center to trigger it to record to the storage server. The camera record template will be based on motion, intrusion, line detection, etc...try to send more snaps later
I think I am getting it. How does this look?

Attachments

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Exactly. Now with everything set up, you should be able to close out of the client and leave the storage server running. I have the storage server set up as a start up program so i don't forget to start it up if I reboot. When I look into the task manager I see the storage server running as a process, and the CPU usage is about the same as the system idling, might jump a hair when something triggers a recording.

When you want to go check your footage, open up the client and run your search. The only flaw I haven't figured out is the client search based on event type doesn't work. I just have to see all events. It's been very reliable for me though. You should be able to get the client to run on any machine and pick up the footage from the server if you have it networked properly. I haven't played around enough yet to do remote playback through the IOS app yet.

Reaction score
Thanks again johngalt. OK, I loaded iVMS 4200 on my main desktop(storage server is loaded on a different dedicated machine, named CCTV Server). With just storage server running on CCTV server, i opened 4200 on main desktop. i added storage server on main desktop to iVMS with success, but when i search camera, it finds nothing, but i know there are recordings because when i open iVMS on CCTV server it shows recordings