IVS setup help

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't figure this out, even after consulting the camera manual.

When setting up tripwire and intrusion detection, I see that "rule" is to set the tripwire line or intrusion area. What should I be doing with "draw target", "max size" and "min size"? When I clear the target filter, there's a blue rectangle in the image and lettering that says "please draw rect", which confuses me even more. Can I use tripwire and intrusion at the same time? I seems like when I change one, it changes the other also.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
most Dahua's would not let you run more than one IVS at a time, so you got linecross or intrusion not both.. the new Starlight Varifocal Turret I tested was able to do multiples and I documented this new change.. that's the only camera Ive seen that on so far.

Tripwire:

Intrusion Detection:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Seem to be a good many differences between NVR's and cameras with regards to support and functionality of IVS. My own Tribrid (HCVR7208A-S3)running Starlight CVI cams (HFW3231E-Z) allows me to set multiple triggers (Tripwire, Intrusion, along with MD) on a single channel/cam, but only on ONE channel at a time. Will be interesting to see how it handles an IP cam with IVS built into the camera..

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I enjoy IVS on 3 of my 5 cams.
All 3 have IVS active at the same time. The NVR seems fine with that. (NVR model # in signature below)

I usually just use tripwire. On one cam, I use both tripwire and intrusion zone simultaneously. See pic.
Cam = IPC-HDBW4421E-AS

Using Face Detect disables the ability to use tripwire & intrusion zone.
YMMV,
Fastb

IVS.jpg

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
"Min Size" and "Max Size" let you filter out unwanted events. I increased the min size to filter out events generated by our little Pomeranian pooch. I got tired of "alarms" when I let the dog out ......

Using the NVR's native UI (surf into your NVR with a browser), you will see the IVS in action. eg: blue tripwire line flashes red w/ line is crossed. Thihs instant feedback may help you set up IVS for your site.....

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm understanding what the target filter is. Nice as the videos are, they ignore it. The best I can find in and Dahua documentation is:

"Target filter can set max size and min size; it means the max and min target it can detect."

What I don't understand is how it is applied. Does the target have to completely fill a rectangle of min size? Does it have to exceed only one of the dimensions? What if the target meets min size but is diagonal in the picture and doesn't fill a min size horizontal rectangle? When you draw the target filter rectangle, does it matter where in the picture it is located? The same questions can be applied to max size. I'm getting the feeling that none of this is defined.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
has to fit within the dimensions of max size and exceed the dimensions of min size, on all sides... just play with it; this kinda stuff takes tuning anyhow.

you can drag the max size blue bar down by dragging, by default its full size so its not obvious you drag to resize

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
tigerwillow1,

When you draw the target filter rectangle, does it matter where in the picture it is located?
No. Target placement doesn't matter.
Click "Save", leave the screen, go back in, you'll find the target size was saved, but the targets are centered.
I learned thru experimentation. The manuals are lame.
As nayr said, just play with it.

Watch in real time how the camera tracks objects. The green box always has vertical and horizontal sides.

Fastb

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the details. I think I understand it at a 50% or better level now. Playing with it should get me close to 100%.

Katodude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have my new HDW5231R-Z set up and running. I go to the setup screen to set up IVS as indicated here and it does not let me draw the lines. I create a rule for tripwire, save it, I click on draw rule and a get a little flash on the bottom right that says "please draw now" it does not appear in the picture as in the video here. When I try to draw no lines appear.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What browser are you using? I can get it working in Safari just fine..

Katodude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I started by using Edge, but could not get the plug in installed. So I downloaded Chrome and go to the IP address of the camera from the plugin.

Katodude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well that helped a little. Now I can draw the line, but the picture is in a funny place.

upload_2017-1-11_13-50-0.png

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats because your using a low resolution display and your computer is trying to scale everything to fit.. there's some setting in your windows gfx drivers that will fix that but I forget what it was.. DPI settings or something are askew from standard.

Katodude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So it turns out it was not the resolution, but the scaling of the text and apps which I had to 150%. In case anybody else has the same issue. But thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Now more fun begins and I am sure more questions. You guys are invaluable.

Katodude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I fell like I am wearing out my welcome but here goes. I have IVS setup. However, in the video earlier in this post it shows the lines for tripwire in the LIVE feed. When I go to my live feed I don't see the tripwire lines.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Katodude,

I asked way more questions that you, back when I didn't know and NVR from DVR. Don't worry about wearing out your welcome.
But just remember to "pay it backward" once you gain knowledge. Then you can help newbies, and repay the karma...

I see the blue tripwire lines on my SMartPSS live view. (I actually wanted to remove them, see this thread: Smart PSS - Live View config, IVS lines)

I see blue lines in live view when I surf to the NVR with Firefox.
I see blue lines in playback when I surf to the NVR with Firefox.
I don't see blue line in playback when I use SmartPSS

You're making progress!

Fastb

Katodude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have checked out the other thread but still struggling. Will work on it some more tomorrow. As for paying it backwards, I am keeping a log of all the things that I am doing to get this going with all the gotchas. I will make the beginners guide available when I am done. Step by step instructions on how to setup and configure the camera, and then connect it to a NVR. I hope it really helps the next guy.