Japanese Ex Prime Minister - Killed

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
That is super sad. From what I knew of him, he came off as a good man.
Don't know the man but can say he tried very hard to serve his country. While promoting the core beliefs of the Japanese and their culture. To be shot and killed having left office so long ago you know this was very personal. I can't honestly say I've read too many articles where someone was shot much less in public.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The shooter built/printed his gun. Where the ammo came from is another question though.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Let's pray that Brandon doesn't come out and say that "...he dropped dead"
Brandon did say "One thing did strike my attention that this is the first use of a weapon to murder someone in Japan".

Considering who dropped the nukes, I think that was a highly insensitive statement. But aside from that, it's factually false. Even if he had said "gun", it's false.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, really. Guns are basically totally banned in Japan.
I meant the part you noted it was 3D printed so any links to read about this would be great. :thumb: This is yet another example of how something so ground breaking for the average consumer can be abused to make something deadly. :banghead:

I have to admit very curious to learn the size / caliber of bullet.

As waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day quite a few people I knew intended to do the same. More so from the perspective as to if it could be done and having the ability to fabricate accessories for existing hardware on hand. The biggest take away from those early years I learned was building one that wouldn't explode.

Again, this was from the perspective of making something that could go undetected from a standard metal detector etc. Along with the ability to build something if and when needed when the SHTF type of scenarios. I'm assuming since this was done in public using the proper (metal) materials for the receiver wasn't an issue.

I've not seen a completely so called plastic gun ever considered safe enough that exceeds a 38 caliber. If your going to fire a 22 round than I'm sure its fine but you go into the 45 expect to be called lefty when it blows up!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There' all kinds of information on the web about printing guns and gun parts. Actually it's more parts than the whole gun.

I, too, am curious about the caliber of the bullets. Abe was hit twice in the back of the neck from what I've heard. A .22 would be more than devastating there.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
There' all kinds of information on the web about printing guns and gun parts. Actually it's more parts than the whole gun.

I, too, am curious about the caliber of the bullets. Abe was hit twice in the back of the neck from what I've heard. A .22 would be more than devastating there.
Oh yeah anything like that (soft tissue) and at close range is going to take you out. I don't recall which military unit is issued 22 caliber guns but they are used specifically for close quarter head shot kills. :facepalm:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
This just came in which outlines what happened leading up to the shooting. The video show moments leading up to the firing of the weapon.

Sadly, the person taking the video wasn’t able to capture the whole ordeal as they obviously ducked for cover.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How many more must die before we finally make these things illegal ..

if we just made pipes illegal .. we could save children's lives ...

1657319445525.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Looks like a larger pipe .. perhaps 1/2" .. so .. that would be 12.5mm iirc

1657319682605.png

Aries7602

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought guns were banned in Japan…….

i thought gun bans were supposed to stop all gun violence
Japan has one of the lowest rates of gun violence in the entire world, so yes it does work. They had 1 death due to firearms in 2021, and the US had over 45,000. So you tell me does it work?

The issue here is the shooter who was ex-military had the knowledge to create his own improvised but deadly firearm coupled with the fact that the close protection for the ex-PM was virtually non-existent. Ironically because Japan has such low violent crime rates it made the assassin's objective ridiculously easy to achieve. I bet you that assassinations will become infinitely harder in Japan from now on. And the Japanese won't react with reducing gun-control either.

Aries7602

n3wb
Reaction score
I've not seen a completely so called plastic gun ever considered safe enough that exceeds a 38 caliber. If your going to fire a 22 round than I'm sure its fine but you go into the 45 expect to be called lefty when it blows up!
3D printed guns don't use plastic for the barrel, they use the appropriate grade steel like any conventional firearm.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Japan has one of the lowest rates of gun violence in the entire world, so yes it does work. They had 1 death due to firearms in 2021, and the US had over 45,000. So you tell me does it work?

The issue here is the shooter who was ex-military had the knowledge to create his own improvised but deadly firearm coupled with the fact that the close protection for the ex-PM was virtually non-existent. Ironically because Japan has such low violent crime rates it made the assassin's objective ridiculously easy to achieve. I bet you that assassinations will become infinitely harder in Japan from now on. And the Japanese won't react with reducing gun-control either.
So what was the death rate due to stabbings?