Job site monitoring setup??

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone set up a camera and NVR system for job site monitoring? My friend just had $15,000+ worth of stuff stolen from his construction site. I'd like to see if I can put something fairly simple together for him to use from job site to job site.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
rufunky,

My contractor friend also had $15,000 of tools stolen from his job site over a weekend. Since I worked with cameras and recorders for buses and trains, he asked me to make a system for his job site.
- moving the system from job site to job site was a requirement.
- he wanted to "self monitor", instead of paying for a monitoring service.
- He wanted to be able to dial in, to check progress when he wasn't on-site.
- He wanted strobe lights, sirens, two way audio ("Get the hell off my job site, I called the police")
- He didn't want wires (safety hazard), and wanted the flexibility to add insulation, plumbing, sheetrock, etc w/o dealing with wires in the way.
- Being non-technical, he wanted things that today's technology doesn't provide. Like cameras w/o wires, even power cable to wifi cams was unacceptable.
- His residential remodels often mean demo down to the studs, then building back up. So no broadband internet access on the site in the meantime.
- cellular internet was the only choice.

I did my research here, and put together a system that had very few false alarms.
- laser lines to detect people entering the site.
- PIR + radar to detect people.
- No camera based MD

The GC stuck to his unrealistic "requirements". It was like someone in the 1960's who wanted a phone they could carry in their pocket and go anywhere, and make phone calls. The job site security system was never deployed.

The GC eventually got over the sense of being violated, he emotionally recovered, he replaced his tools, and went back to "business as usual". But now, instead of locking his tool up on the job site, he packs up all his tools in his big box truck, and drives home. The 4 man crew spends 30 to 45 minutes every morning, and again in the evening, just unpacking and packing. Despite having the truck burglarized once while parked in his driveway.

Here's links to info on the system, as I was doing research and assembling a cellular connected Job Site Security system;
Remote viewing of NVR connected by a cellular Modem
Cellular Modem for remote access to NVR
Setting up VPN, using cellular modem
Two way audio at the Dahua cam - Am I dreaming?

This solution might give you some ideas:
Wireless Camera Pole Install

There are job site security firms out there. We couldn't find one that is affordable for single family residential construction projects. And they didn't support dialing in whenever. You could only remote-view the job site after someone tripped sensors on the job site. eg:
Construction Jobsite Security Systems | Secure Pacific

In closing, this market niche is under-served, IMHO. On the other hand, the GC is often on a tight budget.
I knew I'd be the sys admin, and would be visiting the job site to t-shoot (eg: a cut cable), traing the GC and crew on using the phone app for remote viewing, relocating cams as project progressed, etc. The GC pays $300/mo to rent a port-a-potty, with servicing every two weeks. But to rent a job site security system (NVR, cams, sensors, cellular data fees, cable install & periodic re-location, my sys admin time, etc) was only worth half a port-a-potty to him.

A GC is required to provide a porta-potty. A GC isn't required to buy insurance on eqpmt, so many don't. Then suffer losses. And with my friend, he spends several man-hours every single day to pack and unpack all his tools. I talked to several GCs about a job site security solution, and they don't see a big benefit to change the status quo.

Rufunky, Go into this "eyes wide open". Non-technical people may have unrealistic expectations of what today's technology can accomplish, for what price.

Regards,
Fastb

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Rufunky, Go into this "eyes wide open". Non-technical people may have unrealistic expectations of what today's technology can accomplish, for what price.

Regards,
Fastb
Thanks Fastb,

Enjoyed the post. Looks like there is a LOT of unrealistic expectations in general with regards to security cameras.

I recall seeing a $5k cellular based camera for something like this. Also noticed that Arlo Go came out in an attempt to address similar situations. As you may know I'm not a big fan of Arlo cameras or systems - they've still have a long way to go.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...The GC pays $300/mo to rent a port-a-potty, with servicing every two weeks. But to rent a job site security system (NVR, cams, sensors, cellular data fees, cable install & periodic re-location, my sys admin time, etc) was only worth half a port-a-potty to him...
So true. 15 years ago many local businesses here would pay $50,000 PER YEAR for a 1/2 page ad in the Yellow Pages. Now the Yellow Pages are GONE...yet they can't see paying $10,000 ONE TIME for a decent website.

This is quite fuqed up crazy.gif

Last edited:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
rufunky,

My contractor friend also had $15,000 of tools stolen from his job site over a weekend. Since I worked with cameras and recorders for buses and trains, he asked me to make a system for his job site.
- moving the system from job site to job site was a requirement.
- he wanted to "self monitor", instead of paying for a monitoring service.
- He wanted to be able to dial in, to check progress when he wasn't on-site.
- He wanted strobe lights, sirens, two way audio ("Get the hell off my job site, I called the police")
- He didn't want wires (safety hazard), and wanted the flexibility to add insulation, plumbing, sheetrock, etc w/o dealing with wires in the way.
- Being non-technical, he wanted things that today's technology doesn't provide. Like cameras w/o wires, even power cable to wifi cams was unacceptable.
- His residential remodels often mean demo down to the studs, then building back up. So no broadband internet access on the site in the meantime.
- cellular internet was the only choice.

I did my research here, and put together a system that had very few false alarms.
- laser lines to detect people entering the site.
- PIR + radar to detect people.
- No camera based MD

The GC stuck to his unrealistic "requirements". It was like someone in the 1960's who wanted a phone they could carry in their pocket and go anywhere, and make phone calls. The job site security system was never deployed.

The GC eventually got over the sense of being violated, he emotionally recovered, he replaced his tools, and went back to "business as usual". But now, instead of locking his tool up on the job site, he packs up all his tools in his big box truck, and drives home. The 4 man crew spends 30 to 45 minutes every morning, and again in the evening, just unpacking and packing. Despite having the truck burglarized once while parked in his driveway.

Here's links to info on the system, as I was doing research and assembling a cellular connected Job Site Security system;
Remote viewing of NVR connected by a cellular Modem
Cellular Modem for remote access to NVR
Setting up VPN, using cellular modem
Two way audio at the Dahua cam - Am I dreaming?

This solution might give you some ideas:
Wireless Camera Pole Install

There are job site security firms out there. We couldn't find one that is affordable for single family residential construction projects. And they didn't support dialing in whenever. You could only remote-view the job site after someone tripped sensors on the job site. eg:
Construction Jobsite Security Systems | Secure Pacific

In closing, this market niche is under-served, IMHO. On the other hand, the GC is often on a tight budget.
I knew I'd be the sys admin, and would be visiting the job site to t-shoot (eg: a cut cable), traing the GC and crew on using the phone app for remote viewing, relocating cams as project progressed, etc. The GC pays $300/mo to rent a port-a-potty, with servicing every two weeks. But to rent a job site security system (NVR, cams, sensors, cellular data fees, cable install & periodic re-location, my sys admin time, etc) was only worth half a port-a-potty to him.

A GC is required to provide a porta-potty. A GC isn't required to buy insurance on eqpmt, so many don't. Then suffer losses. And with my friend, he spends several man-hours every single day to pack and unpack all his tools. I talked to several GCs about a job site security solution, and they don't see a big benefit to change the status quo.

Regards,
Fastb
Wow, Thank you Fastb! I'm so glad I asked, looks like you have already been down this rabbit hole. Same situation here, my buddy does all residential homes and is roughly in and out of the job site within 3-4 weeks. I'll take a look through the links you posted to get a better idea of what this would require. In the end it is up to him whether he would rather spend money on possible prevention or cross his fingers and toes.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
rufunky,
My buddy prefers larger projects. 6mo was the ideal. He uses trusted sub contractors (and charges for managing them), so the end result is a nice finished product. (that is profitable.) As a GC, the more subs, the more profit. (granted, with more risk & headaches due to subs).
Not criticizing, but explaining why he prefers larger projects.

During the great recession, all he could get was 3-4 week projects. And every GC was low-balling, just to stay in business. I saw him hunker down in those lean times. Which may be why he's frugal now.

I'm in Seattle. Home prices are rising faster here than anywhere in the US. People are flooding in, so housing is scarce (hence rising prices)

For a GC, it's flush times. My GC friend is in high demand, booked way out in the future. He charges accordingly.

My point?
- He can afford job site security
- The amount of tools & equipment for a 6 month project are much higher than for a 3-4 wk project.
--- So the job site is a "tool-rich" and attractive target.

For Seattle, the housing downturn and recession put a lot of small GC folks out of business. They sold their tools.
Now, there's a dire shortage of contractors. Lotsa people have the skills, they just need tools.
That is why job site thefts in Seattle are skyrocketing!
"Have Tools, Will Work"

My friend saw his stolen tools for sale on Craigslist. He called the police. They suggested he set up a sting.
Police: "We'll show up at the time you tell us. Don't bring guns to the Craiglist meeting"
My GC buddy brought 3 friends (one a swarthy ex-Marine). They all felt uneasy about arriving unarmed to meet with a thief.
But they did it.
GC: "Did you bring the tools? I'd like to look at them"
Thief: "No, but they're near by. Did you bring the money?"
GC: "I'd like to see the tools, 'cuz I think they were stolen last week from my job site"

The police hadn't shown up yet. More important calls had come in, and this "sting" got re-prioritized.
Things went downhill quickly.

GC: "From the Craiglist pics, I know the tools are mine!"
Thief: "That's FuQ™up"

The thief then pulls a gun on the GC and his friends.
Just then the tardy cop arrives.
The thief is arrested for brandishing and outstanding arrest warrants.

GC to cop: "But what about my tools?"
Cop: "Sir, we have him on several felonies. He doesn't have the stolen property with him"
GC: "Make him take us to the stolen stuff!"
Cop: "Possessing stolen property is a misdemeanor. We have him for felonies. Also, possession of stolen property doesn't mean he was the actual thief"
GC: "But he has my stolen tools!"
Cop: "I'm sorry"

The GC never got his stuff back.
Morale of story:
The job of the police is NOT to re-unite citizens with their property. (think of porch pirates)

Why the long story?
Even if you create a great job site security system, with cameras, DO NOT BELIEVE the police will spend a lot of time finding your stuff. Their job is to bust the criminal. Your footage can help.
But your GC friend may never get his stolen tools back!

rufunky, go into this "eyes wide open".
Your GC friend may be better off investing in Equipment Insurance.

YMMV,
Fastb

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Fastb,

Enjoyed the post. Looks like there is a LOT of unrealistic expectations in general with regards to security cameras.

I
And you can thank Hollywood for a lot of this 'misinformation'. I especially like it when they take a 12 volt DC car battery and jumper cables, no inverter or any means to step up the voltage and get confessions out of people by 'torturing' them with jumper cables on their chest, pecs. nipples, etc. One episode of CSI had a similar scene: a car battery near a swimming pool electrocuted someone; they clearly showed just the battery and jumper cables, no other devices.

Or taking a blurred image of a license plate or human face from some cheap cam 500 yards away and zooming in and 'enhancing' it so you can read the tag's expiration date or see the pores in someone's skin. NO PIXELATION! People actually believe this stuff! "I saw it on TV or the Internet..it must be true!"

My personal fav? And this happens multiple times a day: law enforcement IT guys get someone's IP address and the cops are at their house in minutes!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or taking a blurred image of a license plate or human face from some cheap cam 500 yards away and zooming in and 'enhancing' it so you can read the tag's expiration date or see the pores in someone's skin. NO PIXELATION! People actually believe this stuff! "I saw it on TV or the Internet..it must be true!"

Man! I thought I just have bad cameras!!!

and this one...

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
looney2ns,
That sounds like a bigger construction project than a single family residential project. The above GC story is about a crew of 4 or 5. Also, the property is typically small, so putting a container on the lot creates problems for trucks, lumber deliveries, heavy equipment, etc.
In the above story, the tools were stored in a garage, inside locked steel boxes. eg:

The thieves broke the locks, making a lot of noise that the neighbors heard. The neighbors only took some action when the thieves came back for a second load....
The GC wanted some cams to get license plates and facial shots to turn over to the police.
This GC definitely wouldn't be willing to pay a night watchman. And I think most small residential builders and renovators wouldn't be either. Hence my comment of a possible market opportunity serve the niche of small to medium sized GC outfits.
Tool thefts are increasing as the contractors enter, or re-enter, the construction marketplace. The thieves have customers clamoring for used tools...
Fastb