Jumping on the Z-wave, few questions

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm thinking about starting the transformation into home automation. I am planning on ripping apart the basement in my house this summer and would like to start there. After some research I have decided to give the Mi Casa Verde system a try and was thinking of getting either the VeraLite or the Vera3 system but am not quite sure which one. I plan on setting up lights, outlets, door locks, thermostat, etc. with various scenes both now and down the road. I read @networkcameracritic's blog post regarding Nexia vs Vera which was very informative but wanted to see if anyone here had any insight or opinions to offer. Anyone running this system? What thermostat, switches, locks. etc are you using? What would you recommend, the Vera3 or the VeraLite?

Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say and thanks in advance.

-Mike

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The difference is the Vera 3 has a router, so I would get the Vera Lite. I've had mine up since I wrote that article, never had a hiccup.

pdxkris

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been running the Vera Lite for about 4 months no without issue. My install consists of:

(1) Jasco 45609 (on/off switch, used for a fan)
(4) GE 45613 (3-way dimmer)
(6) GE 45612 (dimmer)
(1) GE 45605 (outlet)
(1) Yale YRD220-ZW-619 (lock)
(1) Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS (single outlet, external like an extension cord)

I haven't had time to setup scenes yet aside from a day/night one for the porch lights, but so far I'm very happy with it, no complaints. I typically use an android app to control things, my wife uses her iPhone, and both work without issue.

I started my z-wave adventure with a RasperryPi and a z-wave adapter for it, but the support and user community wasn't anything remotely close to what you get with MiCasaVerde.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
The difference is the Vera 3 has a router, so I would get the Vera Lite. I've had mine up since I wrote that article, never had a hiccup.
I've been running the Vera Lite for about 4 months no without issue. My install consists of:

(1) Jasco 45609 (on/off switch, used for a fan)
(4) GE 45613 (3-way dimmer)
(6) GE 45612 (dimmer)
(1) GE 45605 (outlet)
(1) Yale YRD220-ZW-619 (lock)
(1) Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS (single outlet, external like an extension cord)

I haven't had time to setup scenes yet aside from a day/night one for the porch lights, but so far I'm very happy with it, no complaints. I typically use an android app to control things, my wife uses her iPhone, and both work without issue.

I started my z-wave adventure with a RasperryPi and a z-wave adapter for it, but the support and user community wasn't anything remotely close to what you get with MiCasaVerde.
Thanks guys.

I am thinking about getting the Nest thermostat but really only need one that I can set a schedule on and that I can control from my phone. Which do you guys use? @networkcameracritic what Trane model do you run?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I use the VeraLite as well. No problems besides a few very minor web interface issues that resolved themselves.

Here is what I bought to go with it:

1x Evolve LOM-15 120 VAC 15-Amp Duplex Wall Outlet
http://amzn.com/B006U1R8NK

Works brilliantly, no issues. Bottom outlet can be controlled on/off remotely or by pressing the button between the outlets. Top outlet is always on. Makes an audible 'click' when you turn the bottom outlet on and off.

6x Evolve LRM-AS 120 VAC 500-Watt Wall Mount Dimmer
http://amzn.com/B006U1TR9I

I bought the 6-pack on Amazon but only installed 3 of these so far because I have had to rewire each switch to make it work. My house was built cheaply and the light switches are all at the "end" of the wiring run so to speak. The old switches had only one bundle of wires going to them (black, white, and ground) with the ground wire not even connected to anything. These switches were designed to go between the breaker box and the lights, but instead in my house the lights are between the breaker box and the switch.

Besides the installation trouble I had, the only thing I don't like about these is that they take a second or two to fully brighten. That, coupled with my cheap dimmable LED bulbs, means there is actually a full second or longer of lag between pressing ON and getting light. But it is all worth it when you gain the ability to turn off the bedroom light without leaving bed.

These do make a very quiet buzzing noise when they are on but you can't hear it unless just inches away.

1x Evolve LTM-5 120 VAC Wall Mount Accessory Switch
http://amzn.com/B008OF8CJO

I got one of these to go on one side of an old 3-way switch I intend to replace. One of the LRM-AS dimmers will replace the other switch. I haven't gotten around to installing it yet, but I anticipate no problems.

3x GE 45600 Z-Wave Basic Handheld Remote
http://amzn.com/B0013V6RW0

Utter garbage. The negative reviews are true. Don't buy these. Only some of the buttons are reliable enough to actually use, and the rest of them often trigger scenes they aren't programmed for.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.