Just now getting around to setting up Sub Streams in BI

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm slow....and I'm not here to debate framerates ;) but I'm trying to figure out some weirdness with what BI is showing for one of three cams I've setup for sub streams.

I have three Dahua T5442TM-AS cams set up identical with the following settings.

1651706189264.png

Yet, one of them has BI reporting 12 fps instead of 30 fps. All three have firmware version: 1651706579379.png

1651706425569.png

The other two are showing 30 fps.

1651706488381.png
1651706528630.png
It's probably staring me right in the face but please clue me in....PA-LEEEEZ.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Things that I noted that may or may not be the cure for those numbers BUT...
  • IMO, 15 frame rate and a matching frame interval of 15 should be sufficient for ANY surveillance.
  • Your screenshot of the Dahua cam's webGUI shows substream1 but in BI the substream URL says subtype 2 (which is substream 2).
  • Which, BTW...did BI come up with the substream URL? Any way, you can type in a 1 for the "subtype=" and "OK".
  • Why the 848 x 480 forced image size?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I think I see the issue...

For the substream... You have "subtype=2" for the second stream. That would be the 3rd substream. In BI, change that to "subtype=1" for all.

On the cams, click where it says Sub Stream 1 and pick Sub Stream 2. See if there's some difference there that it might have been using for the odd cam.

Was curious about the 848 too but don't think that's the problem.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Things that I noted that may or may not be the cure for those numbers BUT...
  • IMO, 15 frame rate and a matching frame interval of 15 should be sufficient for ANY surveillance.
  • Your screenshot of the Dahua cam's webGUI shows substream1 but in BI the substream URL says subtype 2 (which is substream 2).
  • Which, BTW...did BI come up with the substream URL? Any way, you can type in a 1 for the "subtype=" and "OK".
  • Why the 848 x 480 forced image size?
1. I thought we weren't going to talk about that now
2. Blue Iris gave sub stream 2 as the default...I saw that but figured BI was smarter than me....probably true...but all three cams settings are identical
3. See #2, but I will try that
4. I didn't touch it...see #2, the part about thinking BI was smarter than me on this topic

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
3. I did try that and it did "fix" the anomaly. It doesn't explain why the two other cams that are identical didn't suffer the same issue....but me with so little time and bandwidth doesn't care at the moment....but it is weird.

Now let me tackle the other stuff now that my OCD regarding inconsistent cam behavior has been satisfied.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
4. Something is forcing the Anamorphic image size. I unchecked the box, click OK, BI did a camera restart, I go back and look at it and the dang thing is checked again. Any ideas fellas?

1651709704967.png

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
When I remove the sub stream profile the anamorphic forced size goes away. So, BI is doing this based on the substream.

1651709989778.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, my 5442T-ZE shows the same for whatever reason. It's not the actual resolution of my substream which is set at 704x480 as yours is.

I found your 12 FPS. As above, on the cam pull down the selection for Sub Stream 1 to show Sub Stream 2. The default is 12, Your "subtype=2" will pull that stream. Not sure why different for that one. Double check that they actually are all the same in BI.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, my 5442T-ZE shows the same for whatever reason. It's not the actual resolution of my substream which is set at 704x480 as yours is.

I found your 12 FPS. As above, on the cam pull down the selection for Sub Stream 1 to show Sub Stream 2. The default is 12, Your "subtype=2" will pull that stream. Not sure different for that one. Double check that they actually are all the same in BI.
Jinx! I was just looking at that....I'm just learning more about what these cams can do. Two sub streams that are independently configurable and enablable.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You were using sub stream 2 on that camera. Look in the camera GUI and see what the second sub stream was set to.

For the sub stream, highlight the main stream path, copy it, paste it into the sub stream window and modify the "subtype" to "1".

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm going through all three and disabling sub stream 2 and will use sub stream 1. In some cases I had both enabled. Pretty much I had used a lot of the setting in default mode and didn't mess with them or even bother to learn about them so I'm just seeing all this for the first time.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone know where the Stream Profiles are kept and edited within BI?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
On the BI video config screen that you show above? Maybe not understanding what you're asking.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
On the BI video config screen that you show above? Maybe not understanding what you're asking.
The reason why I'm asking is because, despite me changing the stream profile then saving it, then BI restarting the camera, when I go back to look at it again BI didn't save the changes I made. Thought I'd try to find out where BI is storing these to understand why. Maybe it's a BI bug that's long been fixed. I'm using 5.3.6.6 which is when my subscription expired.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say try a shut down/restart the machine then make the changes again to see if they stick before fooling with the registry. Just for laughs, make sure the cameras are holding their settings as well before doing any of this. If they aren't use IE to make the changes, not Edge with the IE plugin.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. I thought we weren't going to talk about that now
Since you brought it up....

No, it wasn't "we", it was you that may not have wanted to talk about "that" right now. Frankly, when someone asks for help I'm going to say whatever I want to say and it may not necessarily be what they want to hear.

In this case, it's just as much MY choice to say it as it is YOUR choice to ignore it.... :cool: