Just revived my Dahua camera + NVR and just need some things cleared up before I power them on

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As the title says I just got my Dahua camera (DH-IPC-HDW5231R-ZE) + NVR(NVR4208-8P) and just wanted to get things straight before I power them on, mostly network stuff. I'm not really internet swavy so I need a bit of help understanding it all but I think I get the gist of it. I read the clcliffnotes and it mentions I need to make sure I keep the cameras from accessing the internet until I set them up right so but one thing though
Disable The Internet Connection On the Computer
Take note of your internet adapter settings so you can revert back after the camera is set up. Disable the internet connection on your PC/Mac by removing the Gateway IP address. If the PC/Mac is on a different subnet than 192.168.1.x, you need to change the IP address to 192.168.1.100, and the Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0 as detailed here.
Probably a silly question but what or how do you remove the Gateway IP address? Would I be find just turning off or disconnecting my PC/MAC's wifi? Since I'll be using a laptop running windows 7 with an ethernet port and both camera and NVR supports PoE, I was planing on connecting to the camera's specific web page through the NVR while the camera is in.

Grn1z

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah ok I think you mean on the camera your installing. You have to login to web gui of the camera itself. change ip on laptop to 192.168.1.20 or something(just not 192.168.1.108).
Then plug in camera to ethernet port.
Open internet explorer(only ie will work) and type in 192.168.1.108.
The camera login page will prompt for username and pw(usually admin as username) and whatever password you set the camera up with.
Once logged into camera web interface, dowload plugin for camera.

Then click network and delete the info in the default gateway.

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure what I'm doing. I tried it and I'm not getting anything. I'm trying to follow this guide
from this thread but the every guide I'm reading is telling me to use different addresses that are completely different than what everyone else is saying which is confusing me. Also, is my laptop suppose to show up in the NVR when I plug it into one of the ports like the video because it isn't showing up for me either?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have an NVR wth built-in PoE ports, ignore all of that, thats for NVRs with no PoE switch built-in.

Just plug the camera into the NVR, wait, and it will assign the camera a 10.1.1.X address by itself.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Is your NVR connected? have you gone through the basic setup on the machine interface?

If so, unhook your mouse and monitor form the NVR and open a web browser on your network, laptop is fine.
Browse to 192.168.1.108- if you havent changed it, this is the address of the Web interface of your NVR. No need to ever go back to the machine interface you see in the video. It sucks.

From there, on the 'registration" page, you'll see your cameras with 10.1.1.x addresses and a little IE ion beside each. Click the IE icon and the Camera interface will open and you can login to the camera.

POE-NVR-AccessCameras.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure what I'm doing. I tried it and I'm not getting anything. I'm trying to follow this guide
from this thread but the every guide I'm reading is telling me to use different addresses that are completely different than what everyone else is saying which is confusing me. Also, is my laptop suppose to show up in the NVR when I plug it into one of the ports like the video because it isn't showing up for me either?
This is outdated and should not be used.

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is outdated and should not be used.
I see that explains a lot.

Ok thanks all, I managed to get in the NVR's web interface but now stuck at the login screen. Its not accepting the password I made during the NVR setup unless this is for something else. I didn't change the username because it never gave me the option during the NVR setup, it just asked for a password.

Edit-
Actually scratch that. I managed to get in the camera's web interface(I was copying and pasting the password instead of just typing it out :facepalm:). So far everything looks to be already set up,
346346.jpg

I mean it doesn't look like I need to do anything. Any help on what needs changing?

Last edited:

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just set default gateway to a different number than your real default gateway(your router ip)
Thank you @bigredfish for helping getting him back on track.
Oh ok and just to make sure, from now on whenever I add a new camera I just need to change the default gateway to something different than the other camera(s) right? Also what about the NVR's default network settings, are those ok to leave alone?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
On a PoE NVR I’ve never messed with the cameras gateway setting ...leave them alone. They will all use the same gateway

If you can reach your NVR with a browser, the settings are fine

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having password issues with the camera again. The NVR's webpage accepts my password just fine but trying to reach the camera's webpage keeps giving me "login failed" which is strange because it was working earlier.

Edit-
Now I can't seem to get anything to work, I can't hit the NVR's webpage, it just keeps freezing internet explorer. I think its because I installed the webplugin.exe twice by mistake. Any way to remove it an try it again?

Edit-
I flat out can't use the web interface any more on any browser for both the NVR and the cameras. It take a really long time to hit the login page for the NVR while freezing internet explorer an even then, trying to log in doesn't seem to do anything and its missing options like "Type" and "LAN/WAN". Is there a 3rd party program I can use to get around this? This is really frustrating.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Installing the plugin twice or 10 times won’t hurt anything

Unplug the cameras
Did you mess with any of the network settings on them? You should not. The NVR will assign everything automatically.

Shit down your browser, clear the cache.

Open browser back up and go to 192.168.1.108 your NVR

If that works, close it and plug in the cameras. ..., wait.... wait..... 5 minutes.....now go back into the NVR and you should see the cameras.

They will likely take the password of the NVR

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Try using the Pale Moon browser. It works in many cases where others dont.

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Installing the plugin twice or 10 times won’t hurt anything
Did you mess with any of the network settings on them? You should not. The NVR will assign everything automatically.
I haven't really changed or touched any of the settings or did anything really, the only thing I can think of is that I installed the webplugin a 2nd time. I suspected it was this because I also own some really old analog cameras + DVR and remember having a slightly similar issue with getting to the DVR's web page years ago, where the login was missing other options besides the user name and password. I can't remember but I somehow was able to removed it and reinstalled the browser plugin and it fixed it and I haven't had that issue since. That's why I thought it could have been the browser pugin.

Anyways I did everything you mentioned (clearing the cache) after restarting the NVR. Everything seems to be working again or was at least for a bit. I managed to get to the camera's web page and it was showing fine until I tried going to the settings and nothing showed up, then I went back to the Live view of the camera and I get this

474574.jpg

Restarting the browser seems to fix it. I think It had something to do with the ActiveX thing being on in internet explorer. Either way I'm somehow managed to get back in to the cameras web page so I hope everything is working fine.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Cool,
Worth trying the Pale Moon browser...many folks here use it. I have better luck with it.

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cool,
Worth trying the Pale Moon browser...many folks here use it. I have better luck with it.
Yeah I spoke too soon and was just about to edit my last post. I started getting the same issues again with internet explorer. It seems like the longer I leave it up the worse it gets. Switched over to palmoon 32bit and its works so much better than IE, its like night an day. Got back into the camera's webpage and now I need to figure out how or what to change the default gateway address for the camera to. It mentions that the IP address does not match the Gateway whenever I try to change just the Default Gateway and I don't really understand what to put.

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Leave it at default. No need to change it.
Oh that's good to know. So I don't really need to change any network settings for PoE NVR's as it seems like it does everything for me. One last thing before I go, I'm planning on updating my camera's(HDW5231R-ZE) firmware to IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_Eng_NP_Stream3_V2.800.20190807. After you update a camera, do I reset the camera with the Default or the Factory Default option?