Just starting out - Concerned about Hikvision Support/avoiding problems

sircorey

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to install 6 to 7 Hikvision Cameras and connect it to a HIKVISION DS-7608NI-E2/8P 8CH PoE NVR with a WD Purple 4TB to 6TB drive

4 HIKVISION DS-2cd2632f-is 3MP Bullet Cameras
3 HIKVISION DS-2CD2132F-I 2.8MM IR 3MP Dome Camera

I've been reading several of the threads on this site along with browsing the web and my biggest concern is the lack of support when issues arise

NVR issues, shutdowns, crashes, Camera Stuttering are just some of the few common issues I've read.

I'm looking for advice on where or where not to by my equipment for tech support reasons. I was told to make sure all products are HIKVISION USA Not Hikvision "International (which I assume means China)" but on Amazon.com it doesn't always specify

Any caveats to look out for with this particular NVR or these camera choices?
Any issues with build quality where you get a bad unit that just won't cooperate?
Any issues that would make the DS-7608 a bad choice for a 7 camera setup?
I've seen the youtube clips on the DS-2CD2132F-I and 2cd2632f-is; the price point and performance is decent, but my concern is are there any configuration issues that I should look out for with the DS-7608 NVR

Thanks for your feedback, and thank you for this forum.
Corey

sircorey

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. It appears the DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MP WDR is an option that comes in at a price range that works for me.
I looked on the Nellys website, looks like either they don't carry Hikvision or they private label them as the NSC line, which is fine by me.

Hopefully there's no issues with the HIKVISION DS-7608NI-E2/8P 8CH NVR.

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you'd like support for Hikvision products, then I'd suggest buying Hikvision or LTS (rebranded Hikvision) at a higher priced via local authorized or online resellers such as (B&H, Wrightwood, etc.) I have had good personal experience with Wrightwood. Yes, the prices will be higher than what you can find on Aliexpress or even Amazon, but you will get support and warranty from them. In some cases, there is quite a price difference between an authorized reseller and Amazon and the overall price is low. In those cases, I have decided to take the risk with something from Amazon knowing that I will just throw it out if it is bad.

When it comes to NVR's there is no magic bullet. You can read the Amazon reviews of the NVR that you're looking at. I have looked at the same one, but because I have a mixed camera brand environment decided to stick with Milestone...which is much more work to manage. Since you are staying with Hikvision cameras, I'd suggest sticking with a Hikvision NVR.

Turrets are a good suggestion. Not vandalproof, but very good picture quality for the money. This is particularly true at night when IR bleed from domes are a problem. Usually the cameras are mounted up high enough and have captured potential vandals before they destroy the camera so I am not convinced that a vandal proof dome is needed. I have stayed away from bullets because they are too easy to turn or snap off.

Hope this helps...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
vandal proof domes are not vandal proof, its more tamper proof.. someone cant really adjust the fov, and nor can you hah.. no camera will stand up to a can of rubberized truckbed liner from harbor freight, and hitting em with long sticks/hard objects is going to damage the mounting before the camera on most models.

think more like a connivence store/bank where the clerk is not watching the live feed and someone could potentially reach up and turn a camera away from the counter before robbing them.. elevators, and highly public spaces.. that kinda stuff.

plastic domes also get sunburnt, replaced a few dome ptz's installed outside on a southern exposure that were just a few years old.. basically blinded by the discoloration of plastics by UV.. if you notice clear plastics have the worst UV proteciton of any of em.. check out some car's headlamps that have been parked outside for a while.