Keep those cameras of the 'net!

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Internet hacking is one of the reasons I don't allow my so-called "Smart TVs" or other "smart" devices to access my router (except my cellphone & laptop). I'm still trying to figure out why people need such things as WiFi capable "Smart" refrigerators or "Smart" thermostats.

I recently bought an HP printer that's WiFi and Bluetooth capable. I will not be using any of those features, and will only connect it to my PC via the USB cable.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Network connected printers are handy as you don't need to plug in to its USB to use it. However I would never expose one to the internet :)

I haven't really bought into smart thermostats and refrigerators either. I tend to shy away from things that can only be used via proprietary protocols and mobile apps (inconvenient) or via manufacturer-controlled web services (inconvenient + insecure).

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Getting back to the IoT, most of my friends & family are technology dummies. And, in my opinion, they are too lazy to change default passwords let alone configure the security features of their devices. Even if they change passwords, they'll use the same ones that are easily guessed.

I am also beginning to wonder if developers are purposely or inadvertently giving away vulnerabilities to hackers. As a former developer, I know about setting up back-doors to bypass security, as well as known vulnerabilities about the product. Establishing a back-door is a common practice during R&D and for good reason. However, a former employee can easily take that knowledge and use it on unsuspecting consumers connected to the internet. This is why I don't think that you will ever be able to stop the hackers.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Internet hacking is one of the reasons I don't allow my so-called "Smart TVs" or other "smart" devices to access my router (except my cellphone & laptop). I'm still trying to figure out why people need such things as WiFi capable "Smart" refrigerators or "Smart" thermostats.

I recently bought an HP printer that's WiFi and Bluetooth capable. I will not be using any of those features, and will only connect it to my PC via the USB cable.
You could simply forbid any Internet access to you Printer's IP so it can never connect outside unless of course if its firmware contain some smart trojan that will check for weakness in other local machines and try to bounce to Internet thru them ;-)

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could simply forbid any Internet access to you Printer's IP so it can never connect outside unless of course if its firmware contain some smart trojan that will check for weakness in other local machines and try to bounce to Internet thru them ;-)
Thanks, but no thanks. That may help others, but I'm not looking for nor want a solution to use my printer's WiFi capabilities. A USB cable is all I need.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I like my smart thermostat; got it setup so if its a nice warm day and someone opens a window or door for some fresh air and it'll shut off the furnace.. then when its all closed back up at night it'll kick it back on.. since my automation system is tied into my alarm; when we arm it and go away on vacation it runs a completely different program.

Ive got networked printers too; they are a must.. the SSD in my desktop just took a shit and if my printers required my desktop to be online my wife would have already been bitching about my broken computer.. Got a B&W Laser printer and a Photo Inkjet Scanner.

Im no less secure with these devices; you just have to know what your doing.. I dont have anything on WiFi except devices with batteries.. Printers are on ethernet and my wireless Smart devices uses Z-Wave that operate on an ISM frequency separate from WiFi